Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Dreaded 49th

- - - - - A deathguard Plog

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts
  • Faction: CSM

Sry for the loing wait but I didn't have time for writing this up and compressing images takes a while. I managed to play 3 games over the course of the tournament and it was really fun since I had the chance to play against armies I have never even seen in the flesh.

Finally I went with option B and got in anothe chaos lord, helbrute with lascannon and points left for summoning 10 plaguebearers or lots of nurglings.

Ok here it goes... bear in mind that the tournament was 5months ago and I can't remember all the details.

Game 1 vs Tyranids.

His list consisted of, more or less, this: Swarmlord, old one eye, 2 flyrants, 6 zoanthropes with the enhanced one, 6 hive guard, 20 or 30 termagants with devourers, a trygon and a sprinkling of hormagants and termagant blobs.

Deployment looked like this:

Spoiler

I deployed my forces as close to the centre of the map as I could, ensuring I gain the middleground, allowing me to spread out from there and support my vechicles with infantry. He deployed most of his forces near the swarmlord at the centre of the map. This was problematic for me as he would be out of sight from my big guns (thanks to the big piece of terrain at the centre of the map). He placed his flyrants, trygon and devourer termagants in DS.

Turn 1

I was supposed to go first but of course my opponent stole the initiative from me. He moved up to the centre with the bulk of his forces, while hormagants raced to objectives on the sides of the map. Then came shooting, I have to say that I wasn't ready for sucha potent shooting phase from the nids. He used the double-tap strat on the hive guard and managed to take out the Helbrute, scoring him first strike and taking a few wounds off the Land Raider. Boy the helbrute folded like paper, they really need DR or at least a 5++.

In my turn,

Spoiler
I move my forces up and spread out a bit. The plasma squad goes into a forest, while the regular chaos lord summons some plaguebearers (taking a mortal wound in the process) on the left flank to grab an objective. I move my Land raider up as far as I could to shoot some stuff up (big mistake), while the PBC, blight launcher plague marines and blight hauler took the centre map. The drone moves to the right flank to burn some hormagants. In my psychic phase I fail to cast miasma on the Land Raider... Shooting was weak, with me managing to take some wounds off of the Swarmlord, kill a hive guard and roll poorly for my drone and kill 2 hormagants...

Turn 2

In his turn all of his deep strikers come - his trygon and termagants next to my plague bearers on the left and his flyrants near the centre. The rest of his forces either styed still or got into smite range, while old one eye got straight amidst my forces, looking to charge the PBC. Now this is where my mistakes started to come to fruition - he let rip with mortal wounds, killing the blight hauler next to the LR and putting a lot of wounds on the LR itself. He then proceeded to shoot the LR with all he had and manged to take it down to 3 wounds, while the termagants and trygon killed 7 plageubearers. In the assault phase he charged his Trygon into the plaguebearers, old one eye into the PBC, a flyrant into the LR and the swarmlord also into the LR. Overwatch was pretty good with the Land Raider managing to take 6 wounds off the swarmlord with a lucky lascannon shot. The Trygon finished off the plaguebearers, old one eye rolled very well and blew up the PBC, which took my summoning lord with it... following up with a consolidation near the Land Raider. Then the flyrant and Swarmlord finished off the Land Raider, which I elected to blow via stratagem, putting a bunch of MWs on all the monsters in the vicinity.

Here's a shot of big monsters crashing my line:

Spoiler

In my turn it was time for the mighty counter attack!

Spoiler

All of my forces moved back to the centre, with the exceptance of poxwalkers still chilling on my home objective, and the bloat drone trying to fry the hormagaunts. I couldn't get any psychic powers off due to my opponent rolling incredibly well for his deny tests. In the shooting phase the Deathshroud and plasma plague marines shot the trygon up a bit, while the 2nd plague marine squad and the blight hauler put wounds on the swarmlord. The drone tried again to fry the hormagaunts but I, again, rolled very poorly on the number of shots and only killed 1 or 2. The highlight of the phase was the lord taking old one eye out with a shot of his combi melta. My centre proceeded to charge in: the Deathshroud took on a flyrant, while the plague marines charged and blight hauler the swarmlord. I rolled terribly with the deathshroud and whatever got through got saved by an inv save. The deathshroud then got cut up in pieces. The swarmlord got killed by the plague clever but my opponent used his last cp to let the swarmlord fight after death and chop my plague marines up.

The next two turns were all about piling in to the centre - he charged his monsters into my plague marines and blight hauler, while shooting poxwalkers and the plasma plague marine squad in his turn. In my turn I turned the drone from burning hormagaunts and counter charged with it, the plaguecaster and my warlord. The melee in the middle lasted a bit but ended in my lord and drones killing the trigon and both flyrants.

The last melee:

Spoiler

After that time had ended and my opponent won on points around 30-16. It was a fun game but I had made so many mistakes that I'm pretty sure that it could have been closer if I had played it better. For my defence I can only say that is was my 1st game in the year and I never run into so much psychic power spam. Screening is a thing! I hope the read wasn't too bad, but this game was played 5 months ago and I didn't make any notes so it's all from memory.

Post game notes: 

- Helbrutes are very easy to kill. Must hide turn 1.

- Land Raiders die easily in assault, musn't rush them.

- Must use screens against MWs

I played 2 more games during this tournament and will try to post a quick rundown of them when I have the time.

Cheers!

PL

• infyrana and TrawlingCleaner like this

Armies:

40k: Deathguard, Steel Legion, Word Bearers, Space wolves, Necrons

WFB: Night goblins, Empire, Dark Elves

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts

Game 2 vs Adeptus Mechanicus

His army comprised of 2 battalions – 1 Mars and 1 Stygies. He had Belisarius Cawl, 2x5 Castellan Robots, 2x Dunecrawlers with anti-air autocannons, 6x5 rangers and a vindicare assasin. He also had some more characters here and there but can’t remember.

Spoiler

I split my force into 2 warbands, trying to make the most out of available cover in case he stole the initiative. Each force was supported by a lord for rerolls. Since I thought the Land Raider would get shot off the table fast, I elected the Deathshroud be kept in reserve.

Turn 1

He didn’t steal the initiative so I moved all my forces up with the plague drone taking the central objective. My poxwalkers held the left side objective near the ruins and would stay behind. In the psychic phase I managed to cast miasma on the Land Raider. All my heavy weapons let rip at the castellans managing to kill 2 (I actually rolled poorly – with a total of 6 lascannon, 2 missile launcher and the plague mortar with rerolls I could have done better).

In his turn he moved 1 squad of robots up, while the other stood still (something about doubling shots while immobile?). His vindicare tried to snipe my warlord but failed to wound him. Everything that could shoot tried to either hit the Land Raider or the PBC. While he did manage to put a lot of wounds on both, the miasma really was a hinderance and they both survived.

Turn 2

Happy that I didn’t lose anything I continued the slow advance of my forces into the middleground, with 1 of my chaos lords summoning the plaguebearers onto the middle objective. I target all weapons with an ap into the leftside robot squad managing to finish them off, while my bolters killed rangers. Miasma was cast again. I think I was quite leading in terms of objectives and maelstrom points at this point.

In his turn he again tried to kill my heavy tanks and nearly managed – the Land Raider had 3 left, while the PBC was down to it’s last. The vindicare again tried to kill my warlord but I saved.

Turn 3

Time to close in. The heavy tanks stayed put to have some use of their detoriating BS, while I pushed the rest of the force up. On the right flank I teleported the Deathshroud to try and charge an onager. In the shooting phase I destroy a couple of ranger units, while my PBC bombards at a backfield ranger squad. The LR destroys one of his onagers while the deathshroud fail their charge. I also charge the Castelan Robots in the centre with a blight hauler (taking overwatch) and a plaguemarine squad and they both make it! I put a couple of wounds on a robot but fail horribly in my rolls and fail to kill any of them.

In his turn he shoots everything he can at the PBC but I manage to save anything that wounded and it remained with it’s last wound to live another round. He counter charges the centre melee with Cawl a datasmith and some rangers. He fails badly and kills only 1 plague marine and leaving the blight hauler with 3 wounds left.

Spoiler

Turn 4

My forces on the left flank mop up anything left there, while at the same time grabbing an objective. My deathshroud move up to the onager. In the psychic phase I smite one of the robots, finishing it off. The PBC kills his backfield ranger squad with the mortar. That’s more or less the end of shooting. In the fight phase I kill Cawl with the plague cleaver and the powerfist champion goes to town on the robots. I kill 1 and leave another wounded while lose nothing in return. My deathshroud destroy the onager and consolidate to the centre. In this moment my opponent conceded stating that he could do nothing to gain points and awarded me with a 20-0 win!

What a fun game! I have to say my opponent was quite unlucky at times and couldn’t kill my tanks even if he wanted to. The Land Raider was great this game a actually may have even nearly got its points back (don’t know how much castellans cost but it killed 3 and an onager so…). It’s killing prowess wasn’t even the best part – it was huge firemagnet and every big gun was intent on killing it. With miasma it is quite tough to kill I guess.

Key points:

• Remembering rules – I totally forgot about DttFE and I was in close combat quite a bit in this one. It didn’t matter in the end but I have to remember about this one!.

1 more game to go!

• infyrana and TrawlingCleaner like this

Armies:

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts

Game 3 vs Imperium

Comming off an easy win I had my confidence restored and was looking forward to going against this oponent as it would mark the 1st time I would be playing against a superheavy J

His list: Imperial Guard brigade + Blood Angels battalion. The detachments consisted of Straken, a few officers, primaris psyker, a few other psykers, 6 infantry squads, punisher tank commander, punisher leman russ, 2 mortar squads, 3xsentinels and a shadowsword for the imperial guard part, while the blood angels detachment had a librarian dreadnaught character; a captain with thunder hammer, jump pack and angel’s wings relic; 3 scout squads.

This was going to be tough as he outnumbered me around 3:1 and had that shadowsword thing!

gallery_94482_16125_1495255.jpg

The shadowsword and sentinels are on the left flank hidden behind terrain. I tried to keep my land raider and PBC out of LOS of the superheavy and so deployed in a refused flank tactic, with only the poxwalkers on the left flank. The centre of my lines is occupied by the drone, pbc and a PM squad with blighhauler. The rest is on the right. I put the deathshroud in deepstrike.

The mission rules meant we had night time during the 1st turn, so -1 to hit.

Turn 1

He steals initiative! Not good, not good at all. He advances all of his infantry down the centre of the map and puts the scouts into the fortress of redemption (just a terrain piece, no rules) his tanks move around a bit and he get’s off psychic powers and orders on the tank commander, getting him a hefty -3 to hit. Most of his shooting fails due to the -1 to hit, but he does manage to nearly kill the helbrute.

In my turn I move my infantry and drones up along the whole map. Miasma goes up on the LR. I target every heavy at the punisher and despite the -3 to hit my LR manages to take it down to half wounds. My infantry managed to kill a few guardsmen with potshots, while the drone fries a total of 7 scouts from 2 squads.

Turn 2

He secures the objective on the left with his sentinels, with the shadowsword going into a tight space with no LOS to my tanks. He buffs up his tank commander again. In the shooting phase he destroys the helbrute, giving him first strike, and puts wounds on the pbc and land raider. In the charge phase the smash captain charges into the drone at the centre (no overwatch!), while his librarian dread charges into plague marines on the right. The smash capt destroys the drone, which explodes killing 4 plague marines from the plasma squad, finishes a scout squad and puts a mortal on the captain. The smash captain proceeds to consolidate into the 3 remaining plague marines but get’s smashed by the champions powerfist. The murder-dreadnaught-librarian takes down 3 plague marines but get’s destroyed by the plague cleaver and champion powerfist.

In my turn I move the poxwalker on the left flank to blok the shadowsword in place. In the shooting phase I destroy the tank commander and kill the rest of the scouts. A blight hauler takes a few wounds off the 2nd russ. I countercharge into a few infantry squads with my plageucaster, lord and remaining plague marines. I roll well enough that if I wipe a squad, I could consolidate into straken with my lord. In combat I manage to destroy the infantry squad and consolidate into straken, a few psychers and the remnants of 2 other infantry squads… BIG mistake as straken chops my lord to bits, while angry guardsmen bayonette 2 plague marines… oh well.

Turn 3

I’ll be brief – he consolidates around a few objectives, destroys all the poxwalkers and a MBH in shooting, then proceeds to charge my psyche and plaguemarines with all guard squads, butchering them with straken and then consolidating into both the PBC and the Landraider.

In my turn I drop the Deathshroud near the shadowsword, trying to get a glory kill at least – he kills 2 in overwatch and even though the champion manages to put 12 wounds onto the super heavy it doesn’t matter. At this moment time was more or less running out and I called it a day as all I had left were 2 tanks stuck in combat with guardsmen, the plaguecaster that, even though he had cut down a lot of the, was bogged down and the remaining MBH also bogged down by guardsmen.

gallery_94482_16125_968142.jpg

It ended in a big win for the Imperium! He had scored most of his maelstrom cards, while I was on the defensive for almost all of the game. I never thought cutting through guard squads was so hard! A big thing that could have helped during the 1st few fight was the fact, that I had again forgotten about DttFE. Man I could have used a few extra attacks going through. Maybe I would have even saved my tanks from getting bogged down and the PBC could bring it’s flamers to bear.

All in all the game and whole tournament was fun. I ended up in 6th place (out of 14), mainly thanks to the big win in game 2.

I’m going to another tournament on Sunday, with an upgraded list as CA2019 has been kind to every unit in my army. I will probably be chucking the helbrute at it didn’t do anything.

Playing with the land raider is fun! It got targeted a lot and only died once, due to my stupid placement in game 1.

Will be reporting the Sunday tournament with more pics and a better write down, as I will be taking notes.

Wish me luck!

Cheers,

PL

• infyrana, Azekai and TrawlingCleaner like this

Armies:

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts

Finished one of my PBC

gallery_94482_13987_340146.jpg

• TrawlingCleaner likes this

Armies:

TrawlingCleaner

TrawlingCleaner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 811 posts

Really enjoyed these write-ups man, lots of depth and insights are really handy. How are your experiences with PBCs? I can't seem to make them work at all. Maybe it's just my horrendous luck but I always either seem to roll low on how many shots it fires or miss with most of the shots. I actually have way more luck with the Entropy cannons on the side hitting and doing damage. It's actually gotten to the point in some games where I prefer to charge it in than shoot.

Loving the scheme too mate! Keep up the great work biggrin.png

Wolf Lord Loki

Wolf Lord Loki

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 843 posts

Really enjoyed these write-ups man, lots of depth and insights are really handy. How are your experiences with PBCs? I can't seem to make them work at all. Maybe it's just my horrendous luck but I always either seem to roll low on how many shots it fires or miss with most of the shots. I actually have way more luck with the Entropy cannons on the side hitting and doing damage. It's actually gotten to the point in some games where I prefer to charge it in than shoot.

Loving the scheme too mate! Keep up the great work biggrin.png

I have the same issue. I've had better luck with my Blight Hawlers so I use them more now for fire support

I made the sponsons interchangeable but haven't yet tried the flamers. And I have no luck with the cannons. Role low for shots and then miss mostly

And if I do hit they just don't seem to be that killy.

I hope in the Psychic Awakening we get a multi fire bonus (like predators do) to reflect how lethal these are supposed to be or in version 2 of the Codex make it so there is splash damage like the plague flails
Battle Tracker for my White Scars (Swindon 2008): Games this year 5 - Wins 2, Losses 2, Draws 1

Opponents:
Grey Knights 0/ 1/ 0 Imperial Guard 1/ 0/ 0
Eldar - 0/ 1/ 0 Crimson Fists 0/ 0/ 1
Tau 1/ 0/ 0

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts

I'll try more concise write ups in the future! I'm surprised I remembered so much after 5 months :D

I had only 1 PBC but now plan on using two. The mortar is handy in that it can target things out of LOS, while I have failed to get mileage out of the flamers, it was mainly due to the PBC not getting into range - they are quite a big fire magnet. Remember that flamers are our main weapon against flyers and the pbc has 2 on a semi mobile and durable platform. They have other uses that the MBH don't have such as blocking LOS and pathing. Charging a flamer one is quite a daunting prospect I would imagine.

But from a pure damage output perspective, they aren't that hot. In my last game, 750 pts vs orks, all it did was kill a 5 man loota squad and then die in 1 turn from the relic shokk attak gun.

Armies:

Plague _Lord

Plague _Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 83 posts

Nurgle is ripe in the world so I'm working from home and have a lot of time to finish the army off...

So here is the finished Bellman of the 49th...

[img]gallery_94482_13987_1070312.jpg[/img]

• Azekai, Xenith, Tallarn Commander and 3 others like this

Armies:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users