Have another battle report for you diseased fellows! And a fun one to boot!
Mission: one of the missions from the GT pack - 6 objectives - 2 in each deployment zone , 2 in no man's land.
My opponents list:
Faction: Creations of Bile
Battalion constisting of:
Dark Apostle with -1 to hit prayer and cp farming relic
Master of Possession with cursed earth
5 bare bones CSM
2x 10 cultists
15 MoK possessed
2 squads of 9 berserkers in rhinos
3 MoS Obliterators
Word bearers detachment consisting of a jump pack sorc with warptime and prescience, toting the relic that adds +1 to psychic tests.
Backstory - kind of pickup game, where my opponent wanted to test out his list before a tournament he was going to attend during the weekend. It was also his 1st game of 9th. I took the same list I did last time and the 49th was more than eager to teach those abominations of bile a lesson.
For his secondaries he picks engage on all fronts, raise the banners and big game hunter(? the one where you get VPs for killing big stuff).
I fail badly with my picks. To be honest I couldn't decide what to take and panicked a bit. I finally decided to take engage on all fronts, psychic interrogation and while we stand we fight, picking the DP, LR and one PBC.
I deploy the bulk of my forces on my right flank, including all of the units that needed to survive the game to grant me points. I did this in a reactive manner to my opponent deploying his venomcrawlers on my left flank and him not having other ranged AT threats apart from the oblits that were in DS reserve. My poxwalkers stay on on my righthand side objective while on the other side I have my PBC.
Creations of Bile win the rolloff and start the game:
Here is a pic of deployment, during my opponents move phase:
- Had I played against Bile before this match, I might have deployed deeper, but alas I had not so I was caught off guard by the army's speed.
- He stacks buffs on the possessed squad, then proceeds to advance them and cast both warptime and prescience on them.
- His venom crawlers shoot at my MBH but do no damage.
- The possessed squad multicharge my rhino, land raider and PBC. I spend 2 cp to overwatch with the DMG 2 plague spewer strat from being mortarion's chosen sons and kill 3. His possessed are buffed really hard and he wants to maximise damage by splitting attacks into all 3 vechicle. He uses the khorne fight twice strat but rolls 1 for the number of attacks both times. He ends up dealing 1 wound on the rhino and 6 wounds on my PBC. Contaminated monstrosity saved me a lot of wounds in the fight. My Land Raider was way too tough foor the possessed.
DEATHGUARD TURN 1
- I keep the PBC in combat while pulling the rhino and Land Raider out and pop smoke.
- plague marines with grenade guy get out of the Land Raider and position themselves to charge in. My DP flies up into position, so that all of my units will get his reroll aura while also getting a 100% charge.
- On the left flank my terminators and MBH move up and let rip into the nearest venomcrawler, taking 9 wounds.
- Miasma goes off on the PBC, Blades and +1 S/T on the plague marines.
- I play the 2D plague sperwer strat on the PBC in combat with the possessed and 4 die.
- The plague marines and DP charge the remaining 8 possessed. I waste a cp on trench fighters - the flail kills 4 possessed and my opponent denies the rest of the squad and chance to kill more. This doesn't save him as the DP destroys the remaining possessed with ease.
- I make a mistake during consolidation by pushing my plague marines upboard - this puts them out of range of grenade guy's aura.
AGENTS OF BILE TURN 2
- He disembarks a squad of berserkers on my right flank as shown in the pics below.
- He drops his oblits next to the zerkers and moves all of his charachters up to fortify the objective.
- On my left flank the pushes the venomcrawlers up while his CSM squad waltzes up onto the midfield objective.
- The venomcrawlers fail to do any damage in the shooting phase.
- The Oblits shoot twice at the Land Raider with Endless Cacophony. When the dust settles my Land Raider is only down by 7 wounds. Contaminated monstrosity came up huge in this turn, though he did roll poorly for his weapon stats. They had prescience btw.
- He buffs the zerkers with everything he can and warptimes them up. They charge my plague marines and PBC. This is where my earlier mistake comes into play - were they within grenade guy's aure then I would have spent 3 cp to overwatch with the nades... I thought about spending 2 cp to give my plague marines a 4+ DR for the phase but decided to save the CP in the end. The zerkers make short work of the plague marines (allthoug I think my flail would have survived with the 4+ FNP) while the champion with fist destroys the PBC.
- On the left flank the healthy venomcrawler charges my PBC sitting on my objective. I pop my trusted 2 DMG plague spewer strat to overwatch... and roll 12 shots. I deal enough damage to destroy the venomcrawler in one go. We were both pretty amazed at the utility of the strat and the damage potential in it. The wounded venomcrawler charges my MBH but both fail to deal any damage.
DEATHGUARD TURN 2
- I need to push back as I am getting mauled on the objective side of the game. Hi hyperaggressive army took the midfield and keep fielding me suicide squads to keep me in my deployment zone. I gain 10 primary points and 0 secondaries.
- I see that the right flank is where most of the action is going to be and push my terminators and blightspawn to the right, while my plaguecaster follows the MBH that retrats from combat.
- My rhino takes the left-side PBC's place on the objective while the latter pushes up a bit.
- I was in range to use psychic interrogation but need my other psychic powers more - I use smite on the venomcrawler and take 2 wounds off it, triggering pestilential fallout to finish it off. I put blades on the termies and miasma on the land raider.
- In my shooting phase I roll pretty badly - mostly by rolling 1s to wound with my lascannons. I do manage to kill an obliterator.
- My terminators and Daemon Prince charge the zerkers - he removes them without making me roll
CREATIONS OF BILE TURN 3
- My opponent by now has lost most of his killing potential - all he has left is a squad of zerkers, 2 oblits and a plethora of charachters that are more buff machines than fighters but he has a big lead in terms of scoring points and during this turn he could potentially make it immpossible for me to win.
- He disembarks the Berserkers and moves the through the big building in the middle 0 this totally caught me off guard as I forgot that was a possiblity. This move left my plaguecaster out in the open and if so chose to he could off him with ease and make it harder for me to score my secondary.
- The zerker's rhino pushes up to the left-side objective, while the rhino on the right tries to make itself a mobile wall and block my termies from the objective.
- He puts his puffs into the greater possessed which now has T7 and moves it up close to my DP
- He casts prescience on the oblits and shoots them at the land raider again, this time without having cp for cacophony but thanks again to contaminated monstrosity they deal 0 (sic!) wounds and my land raider is still on the highest damage bracket.
- After some deilberation, he charges the zerkers into the MBH and plaguecaster and only just manages to off both of them. Since this is all in the blightspawn's aura, the plague caster manages to kill 2 zerkers before succumbing to their blades.
- The greater possessed charges my Daemon Prince but fails to deal any wounds, the supparating plate dealing 2 mortals in return. The Daemon Prince gives a show of true daemonic power and finishes him off in style.
DEATHGUARD TURN 3
- This turn I'm going in for the kill - move my DP next to the oblits and my terminators up to the rhino blocking the way to the objective.
- On the left I move the PBC up to the objective to contest it - it's being held by the CSM squad and the other rhino. My plague marines disembark from their own rhino and get into firing position upon the CSM.
- I cast mental interogation on a charachter but he denies it.
- I try to be greedy with my shooting - splitting lascanon shots between both rhinos and end up failing to do anything with them. The terminators and antiinfantry guns from my LR and rhino go into the berzerker squad, leaving just the champion alive.
- My PBC does the same old DMG 2 strat and takes out the rhino.
- On the right flank the blightspawn lets Vomitrix rip and destroys the other rhino in one shot.
- My plague marines kill the CSM on the left hand objective with their blight launchers.
- Having made space I charge my terminators into all of his charachters and the DP into the oblits. I get cocky with the blightlords and split attacks, trying to take out all of his charachters and denying him this objective. I fail badly with abysmal rolls and only manage to put 2 wounds on fabius and 3 wounds on the dark apostle (this includes 7 attacks from the flail) while I lose a couple of terminators in return. The Deamon Prince kills an oblit.
- His final berserker flees the battlefield.
CREATIONS OF BILE TURN 4
- Since my terminators failed so bad, he keeps hold of the objective (thanks to bile's friends and the apostle's attendants.
- He has nothing left in the fight so we go straight to the fight phase. My terminators do much better this turn and kill both the apostle and the sorceror. Bile kills 2 terminators in return but now the objective is mine (allthough it doesn't matter at this point in the battle as we would both max out our primaries.
- My Deamon Princes kills the last obliterator.
It was late so we decided to go through the next few turns and it turned out that we would have a 64-64 draw unless my terminators wouldn't manage to kill Bile through 2 turns - this would let me get and additional psychic interrogation in and 3 VPs to win the game. It was late though and I the game was so much fun that we agreed that a draw was fair and that I won anyway becuase he didn't have a painted army
All in all a great game, action packed and really fun. I think I made it much harder on myself due to my total fail picks in regards to secondaries - i was caught off guard by the sheer aggression of his army and only started to score secondaries in the 4th turn... I would have been much better off with something like attrition or assasinate and would have won the game clearly - it is something I must be mindfull of in future games.
- Daemon Prince - this guy killed 4 possessed, 1 greater possessed, 2 oblits and an unprecise number of berzerks all without taking a wound in return. His mobility is something my army neeeds.
- PBC - 1 PBC killed 7 possessed, while the other a venomcrawler and a rhino. The DMG 2 strat is amazing.
- Contaminated Monstrosity - My Land Radier tanked huge ammounts of pain this game and my opponent actually had to try to take it out thanks to the we stand we fight secondary. I feel this combo actually made my opponent choose targets I wanted him to choose instead of possibly him targeting something else.
Don't know when I'm going to be able to play again but I am still wary of going to tournaments due to Covid.
Hope the read was good!