Grey Knight Tactica: Tyranids the Hordes without Number

end game tournament lists are soups just like imperial stuff. specially if you do the multi fleet [vet spit] list in a soup form. biovors are great. A ton of units are good for everyday non tournament gaming. The most important thing about tyranid lists is that you do not feel, as if your fighting your own lists. Main problem with tyranids right now is that A they aren't much better then imperial or chaos soup lists[they aren't much worse mind me] and it takes time to learn an army to not lose time durning big events. B tyranid vets do not remember the pre Codex Dakka tyrant times in most cases, so switching to a more utility "I have to use multiple types of units to play" army is not something they feel well with.

But every now and then you do see a tyranid player pop up [same with orcs] in top 16 on larger events. And this considering how much less testing is done for nids, and how many fewer people play them means they are ok. I am so scared to see that they are good, without  playing  a lot myself. They do have some awesome utility units [freaking biovores] and access to almost everything good in 8th ed.

I'm really hoping GW nerf soup lists into the ground soon. They're one of the most cancerous things to emerge in 8th. It disgusts me when I try to find tournament level GK batreps, and I see is GMDK's brought on top of a 'good stuff' pile. Same for Chaos soup, its equally stupid. 

I've come up against Biovores, Exocrines and Swarmlord+bodyguard. That was pre-codex though, I dunno if they got particularly better post-release. Biovores seem really good with the mortal wound spamming, Exocrines kinda feel the same as last edition (plasma is plasma), Swarmlord+bodyguard is annoying but doable if you drag down his friends first. Any other units that suddenly shine now? I've heard good things about Carnifex this edition. Apparently mid-size bugs (Warriors, Ravenors) are still pretty mediocre. 

ay, they are like rhinos in a GK list. Sure they do stuff, there is tricks to do with them, but in general it is better to either pay extra points to upgrade it bigger stuff or just take a swarm of guants. Ah and lets not forget that spawning is not free. And if I wanted to get guants on the table I would just deploy them and not worry that someone nukes the tervigon making me play with fewer points.

bios are great not just because of the mortal wounds, they are great for CC [almost nothing in w40k does that, and the mines do not cost points]. you can block charges with a few mines from bio vores missing. I have actually seen biovores being moved just so the chance to miss is higher.

Edited by the jeske

Nah the spore mines generally suck.

They mostly need to charge and get obliterated by overwatch.

And those dropped in the way get a single SB aimed at them and evaporate.

Also the spawning from a Tervigon isn't reinforcements, so doesn't cost points. Yeah there's shady areas with one FAQ mentioning increasing squad size numbers. But refilling a damaged squad by tervigon is the same as using an apoth to bring a dead dude back to life.

Please discuss all strategy relating to Tyranids here. Share your experiences if you wish, and let us know what's working (or not) for your Grey Knights.

Here's a pretty saucy batrep I posted with my Grey Knights vs. the new Nid Codex (8th edition)

LINK

Nids.

Don't bother with Psychic Powers when facing them.

Nids can be set up to cripple us in the Psychic Phase.

Also don't disregard Stealers.

They will get into cc in one turn (swarmy let's them move again in shooting phase) and they will eat any unit of ours they charge.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. More insight from my last game.

I've changed my opinion on tervigons. There naughty. And they give gaunts reroll 1s to hit.

Not much can face 90 s4 shots that reroll 1s to hit.

Then they spend 2cp and do another 90 shots...

Genestealer squads in sizes larger than 10 will eat anyone in cc. And they are super fast and will get into cc with you.

Genestealer squads under 10 in size aren't scary. But a bit of a tarpit.

Oh and nid psychic phase dominance is bonkers.

Neurothropes make makefic lords look like chumps.

Me. Draigo casts Purge Soul.

Him. 1CP. He's casting on 1 die. In Shadows. You auto fail. Take d3 mortal wounds due to my Warlord Trait.

In the end i stopped using psychics. Our crap smite want worth the risk of failing and taking d3 mortal wounds for the priveledge.

And you thought commisars and conscripts were bad.

Well those 90 shot devilgaunts are immune to moral tests. Because reasons, er synapse.

I don't see any way we could ever have a fair match versus the new nids.

I guess, he just knows who he would face, so he uses anti-GK build. For tournamenst taking traits only against psykers is rarely profitable because they usually stand behind shooty units and buff them and not every army use them. Against long-range armies Nids have to get close first, being shot at for 1-2 turns.

Kronos/Kraken is the most potent nid combination.

All he has to do is swap warlord trait when facing a different opponent.

Gaunts have 18"range. Move and advance. Get onslaught cast on them to remove the -1 hit.

They shoot you first turn.

Plus the tyrannofexes, exocrines and biovores have long enough range.

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Nids are really potent. I'm not sure how they fair against the common tournament lists, like assbacks and Guilliman, Guilliman Lascannons gunlines, Guillan/Celestine/Guard soup or Morty and Magnus, but against anything else, they definitely have some strong tools, and I'd expect to see them start showing well at tournaments.

Thing is unlike us Tyranids can suffer losses and keep on going. They have a lot of expendable bodies to throw down and clog up the board. It's why Teleport Strike is pretty worthless if you don't get first turn, because they'll just run up and cover the midfield. 

Teleport Strike does let you position freely and without risk of being blown off table Turn 1 (its why having on-table drops is essential). Storm bolter will hose down bugs, but Stealers do worry me due to their sheer speed. Advancing and charging is quite nasty. 

Admittedly my experience is limited to two games, both of which I lost, but I did much better when I held my reserves for as long as possible and used a couple of flyers. 

Obviously it totally depends on the list. The guy who plays them in my group uses almost all ground units, Trygons, warriors, tervigon, stealers, brood lord, hiveguard, biovores. It was really helpful having something he couldn't charge and can letdown withering firepower. 

That said, Nids are awesome. Flyrant with gargoyles will tie up a backfield T1 while stuff moves up. Trygon with shooty/bonesword warriors or stealers is nasty. Swarmlord is brutal. Any shooting with Kronos will wreck your day. Double acid spray/rupture cannon/hiveguard, dear god. That's what makes them such a challenge, it feels like there are at least 3 or 4 builds that can get it done. 

Nids might be the best book out there when it is all said and done. They can dominate every phase, control the board with ease, shoot your face off, and wreck you in combat. I don't think shadow is as bad for GK as some have made it out to be, unless they build for it like Gentleman described. They are easily up there with chaos, but I think you do have to blend hive fleets to optimize. Not sure if the purists would be against that. 

Edited by TheCastigator