Ophelia VII versus Hive Fleet Leviathan?

Hopefully the title doesn't constitute clickbait.

I was browsing dakkadakka.com after running out of threads to read here, and I found a particular thread relevant to my slightly alseep Adepta Sororitas leanings and I was interested in your thoughts.

Summary picture for those who'd rather avoid dakkadakka.com:

gallery_70393_13164_112921.jpg

Order (Majoris) of the day: nomnomnom or Warzone Ophelia in the future?

Edited by Knight of the Raven

Would be cool to have a warzone featuring sisters. Could really expand and delve into the faction...

But im pretty sure its devolve into:

Ophelia gets overrun and sisters smashed. Then a loyalist primarch and heaps of primaris ride in and save the day and oooo lookit the new shiny marines marines marines. And the system was saved by the marines and all the surviving sisters bowed before the primarch in adoration and marines marines marines...

As usual my dance isn’t I don’t think they’d do a Sisters warzone in a way I’d enjoy so I hope this is nothing.

The date says 997.M41, which seems strange to me if this is in fact supposed to be a “new development.” If they do do it all I ask is that Sisters play a major part and they don’t wreck Ophelia.

Edit: there are other details I’d be looking for of course like the number of Sisters and the involvement of at the least all 3 major orders in the Convent Sanctorum, etc. Could be exciting :D

Edited by Servant of Dante

Let's assume not until we see some actual evidence and not speculation.

I was hoping more for discussion of what could happen (or have happened) rather than people bandying things about as 'proof.'

The date says 997.M41, which seems strange to me if this is in fact supposed to be a “new development.”

Yeah, I spent too little time on the original post. I should have added 'did anything happen in that year away from the fans' eyes' among the options.

Ignoring the time dilation caused by the Cicatrix Maledictum, the tyranid tendril could have wrecked Ophelia VII and turned the planet into a husk, the world could still be under siege (though a siege lasting the entire Indomitus Crusade would be stretching it), or the Sisters of Battle could have pulled an old school Miral II and put up such a fight the Hive Mind decided Ophelia's biomass just wasn't worth it and ordered a full retreat. And that's only the ideas I can come up with at the moment, other fans can probably flest the alternatives and nuances out.

I've read good things about how the Adepta Sororitas was presented in Shield of Baal, so I could actually see the last one happen. Though since Games Workshop retconned the Imperial Fists' victory at Miral II into a much less impressive (in my eyes) 'they killed all the tyranids,' if the 'best end' does happen, I'm expecting a dead tendril rather than one fleeing with its (barbed) tail between its (scythed) legs.

I've read good things about how the Adepta Sororitas was presented in Shield of Baal

In Shield of Baal they put up a fighting retreat against the nids until Marines turned up and the sisters were never mentioned again. Only rulebook i've ever returned after the advertised 'four factions' turned out to be necrons, space marines, space marines, and space marines :/

I've read good things about how the Adepta Sororitas was presented in Shield of Baal

In Shield of Baal they put up a fighting retreat against the nids until Marines turned up and the sisters were never mentioned again. Only rulebook i've ever returned after the advertised 'four factions' turned out to be necrons, space marines, space marines, and space marines :/

Oh no ... don;t let it be ...

SoB become female space marines :(

I'm figuring this counts as on topic.

I got this opinion of the Sisters in Shield of Baal from these posts;

Trying not to be too spoileriffic here.

Shield of Baal: Leviathan presents the Sororitas as a worthy, competent and capable fighting force, led by a tactically shrewd Canoness. The Sisters do all the work in their sector of the campaign for the entirety of the first book, and for the second book (Exterminatus) they remain a viable fighting force working alongside the Flesh Tearers as equals on the field of battle.

Having read both books, this resumes it pretty well, and it is hard to keep it un-spoilered. Due to such, my additional comments will go in a spoiler tag just in case.

As has been said, they are portrayed as one of the sternest fighting forces of the campaign, starting with less numbers than most of the other planets, and ending with more left than any of the other planets...

Also as above, the second book has them on equals with the Flesh Tearers, and, against my expectations, do not get any backlash when the Flesh Tearers go over the edge. IIRC some even survive the onslaugth in the company of the Flesh Tearers. They're just a bit confused when the Marines run off into the distance, Berserk mode on...

Though, yeah, I've not read the books myself.

Canoness Magda Grace*, scourge of the Hive Fleets and defender of the Common Folk, appeared, reborn as a Living Saint, and saved the day. No Marine intervention required. 

* character appeared in "Tempestus" and the Shield of Baal campaign book. 

I like how GW includes an opportunity for conflict with the unusual pairing of Sisters vs. the Great Devourer and without knowing anything else people are already having knee-jerk reactions. 'Boohoo, we are gonna lose and/or look stupid as marines rescue us.'

Ye of little faith.

I would actually really like to see a Cardinal World rally against the Tyranids. All the heretics languishing in the prisons are swiftly converted into Arco-flagellants and unleashed. Clerics rally entire cities, forming them into frothing militarized mobs, and millions of alien monsters clash with millions of the faithful. All of the major orders of Sororitas fight in defense of Ophelia VII, and miracles take place daily. As the worst alien horrors make planetfall, Saint Helena herself is said to grace the battlefield, turning back even biotitans with blade and flame. 

Edited by Azekai

An interesting question is whether there are any genestealer cults operating on Ophelia VII, and if there are, how deep does the corruption go. And that's without counting the possibility of other cultists, namely those of the Dark Gods.

As long as these are sponsored by the Word Bearers rather than the Team Fortress 2 Spies serving as their main rival in the Imperium's internal corruption, I shouldn't mind, even if so many actors in this conflict is stretching both seriousness and the Warzone books' limited length.

I'd rather avoid one of the 'founding mothers' coming back though. I'd have found it worthwhile only if everyone and their dog wasn't scheduled to returning from the past.

Let's assume not until we see some actual evidence and not speculation.

I was hoping more for discussion of what could happen (or have happened) rather than people bandying things about as 'proof.'

I was referring to the post above mine that we should assume nothing of Sisters being Squated. I would have quoted the post above, but my tablet was being a pain in the fundament and wouldn't let me.

That said, I hope that we actually get something substantial down the line than a brief mention in things like we did in Shield of Baal...

As long as these are sponsored by the Word Bearers rather than the Team Fortress 2 Spies serving as their main rival in the Imperium's internal corruption, I shouldn't mind, even if so many actors in this conflict is stretching both seriousness and the Warzone books' limited length.

Are you referring to the Alpha Legion?  I like the Alpha Legion a lot, but I think the contrast of the dark faith of the Word Bearers would be a better fit for Ophelia VII, for sure.

I'd rather avoid one of the 'founding mothers' coming back though. I'd have found it worthwhile only if everyone and their dog wasn't scheduled to returning from the past.

Eh, if I were in charge of Warzone: Ophelia, I'd keep it apocryphal, as rumor or a mis-identification of Celestine... I think ambiguity is something that is sorely lacking in modern storytelling in general. However, if people wanted to use Saint Helena conversions to represent their Living Saint, I think that would be cool too.

I think the Word Bearers would fit better too, but I'd just be happy with us getting a storyline and new fluff that does us proud to be honest.

I was referring to the post above mine that we should assume nothing of Sisters being Squated. I would have quoted the post above, but my tablet was being a pain in the fundament and wouldn't let me.

Ah, my bad.

Are you referring to the Alpha Legion?  I like the Alpha Legion a lot, but I think the contrast of the dark faith of the Word Bearers would be a better fit for Ophelia VII, for sure.

Yes, I'm referring to the Alpha Legion, more specifically their portrayal after their outdated Index Astartes article, but expanding on this is off-topic.

And the Word Bearers are more than just a contrast; they're the dark mirror of the Ecclesiarchy in general and the Militant Orders of the Adepta Sororitas in particular, making them a much better force to include in a hypothetical Warzone: Ophelia.

I've thought some more about their participation as I painted, and my conclusions are mixed. The actual heretical cults spread across the Imperium by the Word Bearers have one sole unit in both rules and miniatures: chaos cultists. It's just not enough to justify their inclusion in a campaign book, and I don't see anything close to an equivalent to Genestealer Cults's fleshing out for them, in the near or far future.

So if Chaos was to be included in any way, it'd involve either its space marines, its daemons or both (the latter being the most likely seeing as we're talking about Word Bearers). I don't know how other Warzones handled more than two sides; I only read Kauyon and Mont'ka and there never was a third side in them.

I can see an angle for the Word Bearers in Warzone: Ophelia, more specifically a part two... but it'd sideline both Sisters of Battle and Tyranids, which is just embarrassing given this thread's original post and either faction's unenviable standing in the lore.

Basically, the population of Ophelia VII starts losing hope under the bilateral assaults of the Leviathan tendril and its cults' undermining. But as the Sisters of Battle fight off the ravenous alien hordes, one subsect counters the cults' hybrids surprisingly well and promises salvation...

And lo, Lorgar waltzses in, because he's not going to allow damn bugs to trample faith in the False-Emperor. That's his job.

I'm thinking such a development would inevitably turn into 'Warzone Ophelia 2: the Worfing has been Doubled,' but maybe I'm underestimating the Sisters' fighting spirit.

(Oh, yeah, and the rest of the Ecclesiarchy's too, I guess.)

Canoness Magda Grace*, scourge of the Hive Fleets and defender of the Common Folk, appeared, reborn as a Living Saint, and saved the day. No Marine intervention required. 

* character appeared in "Tempestus" and the Shield of Baal campaign book. 

. . . if that's actually what happened, I'm definitely not a fan. Coming back from the dead as a Sister just doesn't work for me. I also prefer my Living Saints to be non-magical humans :biggrin.:

Another note: "Saint Helena" is not one of the Sororitas's founding saints. Helena the Virtuous was Prioress of the Convent Sanctorum, and before that she was Canoness of the Order of the Key (an Order Famulous based out of the Convent Santorum). The founding saints relevant to Ophelia are Saint Katherine, the Shield Bearer (Order of Our Martyred Lady (Order of the Fiery Heart during her lifetime)), Saint Lucia (Order of the Valorous Heart) and Saint Mina (Order of the Bloody Rose, founded centuries after her martyr's death). If you meant THE founding saint of the Adepta Sororitas, that's Alicia Dominica (Order of the Ebon Chalice).

I would not take any campaign that even hinted at one of them returning seriously. It'd be like bringing Sanguinius back to me (which I'm also against).

I agree that maybe I should be more positive, but with the way Celestine was done recently, which I have serious issues with, I find it hard not to be pessimistic about this possibility. Plus it's fun to complain sometimes :tongue.: If they do do it, I will hold off any purchase until I get a good rundown of what's happening. I agree there is a *lot* of potential for cool stuff.

Edited by Servant of Dante

• 2 weeks later...