Tale of gamers... and general help!

spafe

Hi, so in the new year my group of mates are planning a tale of gamers esk army building campaign/log. I'm pretty sure I want to do a cult force. That's the limit of my knowledge... help! :-p

Okay, so a bit more than that... I have the space hulk stuff coming (rediscovered my unopened copy in my parents loft), so I have those stealers... and about a box/box and a half of cultists already from an aborted renegades list. now because some folk are (like me) using models we own, we arnt doing a money target per month but a PL.  The current aim is 15 to start, then adding 10 per month, with a limited ability to draw in credit from the next month if we need one or 2 extra to fit in something cool.

With that info... where do I start? I havent even got the index atm, although have battlescribe so read their rough rules on there... I'll be picking up the index in over xmas as we wont be starting til... Jan feb next year. I'm mainly after some help with an idea of how to grow this list... whats worth investing in over xmas holidays in preperation for this. Our overall aim is 75PL I believe and then we'lll have a big games day up at warhammer world mid 2018.

Well, to start off don't count me a source of pure competitiveness, or extensive experience. I've only been able to play my GSC 3 times as of now.

Pick up the brood coven, or convert your own Magus and Primus and purchase a broodlord. Those chaps are absolutely mandatory. The Primus helps get one unit generally where you want, doing what you want (he lets you role two dice for the Cult Ambush table) while the Magus provides excellent psychic defense as well as suppressing enemy units with Mass Hypnosis. The Patriarch is mandatory for running Genestealers, plus he's your most survivable unit to act as warlord and he packs a mean punch in CC.

For troops, I've gotten better mileage out of Acolytes as their damage output is considerable (but the do die to a stiff breeze, like everything infantry in a GSC army) when compared to neophytes (I just run Astra Militarum infantry squads for cheap screens and spamming heavy weapons, plus you get orders).

Leman Russ's are also quite mandatory in my lists as they're just really good for fire suport (and thanks to the FAQ GSC Russ's get grinding advance).

That's the extent of my experiance (I haven't tried out goliath's, metamorphs, aberrants, etc. at all).

Basically I just use infantry screens supported by Leman Russ's, with ambushing Acolytes and genestealers messing up my opponents backfield.

Now thanks to Chapter Approved we have even more flexibility thanks to Return to the Shadows (spend 1CP and remove a unit from the board, and ambush them next turn),  and Meticulous Uprising (spend 1CP and roll two dice on the Ambush table for one unit) allows for much greater accuracy for ambushing units.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, I'm super tired right now :tongue.:

Hope this helps!

That's great Runefyre! Thank you so much.

I've got some metal catachans kicking about who didnt make it into my guard army, so I'm thinking I'll do some headswaps with spare steler cult heads for them. Would let me run them as either neo's or if I get a patrol detachment of guard, my troop slot in there (allowing me to take a normal and a command russ, then a platoon leader to order the squad).

Bit dissapointing to hear that Neos arnt very good though.

Good to know its worth having the full brood coven, I'll have 20 stealers and a broodlord from spave hulk, and should be easy enough to convert the primus and magus. What are your thoughts on the iconoward?

Will have a scout about and see if I can snag some acolytes from any of my mates who bought the deathwatch boxs.

I think I will want to try at least one goliath to see what the fuss is about (and I love the idea of a demo crew!).

Am I understanding the key word thing right I can take a battalion of GSC then a patrol of guard and a patrol of nids? Or is it only one of those patrols at a time?

Dont sell the neos to easy. They serve a purpose. As cheap troops that can hold objectives, protect your more expensive units (like a living wall for your russes to use as safehaven from Deep strike units) etc. A single unit of 10 only cost 50p, very cheap if you want some bodies on the table. 

Yes, you can take a detachment of GSC, 'Nids, and Guard in the same army. I love the variety of models this allows us! Having giant monsters walking alongside humans is just strangely awesome.

I think the Iconward looks quite good, morale boosting is never a problem, and anything that increases survivability is golden! Plus he's super cheap, I intend to try one out sometime. Also, don't bother spending the money on the iconward sprue, it's literally just a stock acolyte with a banner, just convert one (It's alot more fun that way too!).

Neophytes do serve a purpose, namely "deep striking" them onto objectives with the ambush table. Of all the mining weapons the Laser is definitely the best, I'd double up on those every time. Unfortunately the seismic cannon has done nothing for me every time I've used it, even though I think it looks really cool...heavy stubbers are just meh.

Their biggest downside is that you can easily bring guard infantry squads for 4ppm compared to 5ppm for neophytes. This is a much better deal if you're not planning on ambushing with your neophytes (and you'll have to have at least half your army start on the table, so there's that to consider). The extra pip in leadership is rarely helpful, as they are either alive for very dead in my experience.

yeah... the ppm makes sense, 4-5 isnt a big deal. Just noticed though I think I'm getting hit harder using PL as it jumps from 3 for guard to 5 for neos... ouch!

If I use some guard, and take an officer... because they both replace their regiment with brood brothers... can the officer still issue orders to the guard squad?

How does this sound for my first couple of months planning, (15PL in month 1, then10 PL each month after).

Month 1: Patriarch and 10 purestrains

Month 2: 10 Neophytes and 5 Acolytes

Month 3: Goliath and 10 Neophytes

I'd then look after that to maybe a primus or magus (not sure which), and expanding the Acolytes up to 10 strong.

If I use some guard, and take an officer... because they both replace their regiment with brood brothers... can the officer still issue orders to the guard squad?

I feel very confident that Brood Brothers can use order just the same as Catachans, the wording for the change is the same in the FAQ as in the Astra Militarum codex (i.e. in every instance replace <regiment> with catachan/brood brother). So an officer will be issuing orders to friendly Brood Brother units.

I could be wrong but that's how I interpret it.

Hey guys, having had a browse on the GW website... they dont seem to want to tell me what size base the patriarch is on. Since I'm using space hulk models... I need to base them all on round bases. Anyone know waht size base I need to get?

Also I would have thought genestealers were on 32mm bases.... but their box on the website says they come with 25mm ones... is this right? Dont mind just would like to get it right.

Okay, next stupid question (sorry for so many and thank you to all you patient guys who answer them!)

Does base size actually matter? I ask because I tried putting some stealers on 25mm bases last night... they looked so oversized it was comical. I dug out two 32mm ones that came with me neopyhtes (I bought for a different project but now will be providing some extras for the cult too), and they look soo much better. So I've ordered 20 32mm sector mechanicus bases to do the rest, and I know wihtin my tale of painters little gaming group we won't care about the different base size. But I'm sure I'll end up poping into my local GW for pick up games at some point... is anyone likely to comment/it cause a problem that my stealers will be on 32mm bases?

Also after much much much google images browsing... I've decided on the cult of the pauper princes as my colour scheme... so hopefully over the weekend I'll be testing the jade stealer colouring out on the two I've got based.

(as seen in this guys arm)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/d/d8/PauperPrincesNeophyte.jpg

I'm no expert on the issue, but I don't think base size "technically" matters in 8th edition. Plus I too think that Genestealers would look worlds better on 32's! If somebody gives you a hard time for it, they're probably not worth playing with lol.

Best of luck with the Pauper Princes scheme! I love the look, but am terrible at painting white.

Thanks!

I've had a bit of experience painting white so kinda know what I'm getting myself in for. maybe...

In the mean time I've done my first purestrain test model, my next move is to paint another and do a purple wash on one to see if I prefer the pink with or without the wash. Then I'll start doing batches of 5 (hopefully the bases will have arrived by then).

Here's my first beastie:

IMG 20171216 WA0010

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, sorry, been ages since I updated this. I've got 6 finished, and 4 more with the green/pink done, plus the green done on my patriach. Not going to be able to finish by end of Janthough as after work today I've got a bloodbowl game scheduled... maybe at the weekend. Next month I think I'll be going for a unit of 10 cultists.

Any way, heres the rather poor pics of them!

gallery_33656_14029_30355.jpg

gallery_33656_14029_18805.jpg

Edited by spafe

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly havnt played a game with or against either in 8th... but I love both styles too. For me the descisiion was made because I have a guard army already and had the space hulk stealers and a couple of boxes of cultists from a aborted renegades and heretics army to use, otherwise I'd be in the same boat!

Thanks, I'm glad you like em. 

I've since found out pretty much everyone else bar 1 in the group who were doing this tale of gamers didnt start in Jan, so I'm having Feb off to sort my bfg, bb and necromunda stuff out, and will be picking up the cultists towards the end of feb/mostly in march.

When you have decided, give me a shout, would love to see how your guys progress too (and we could even have a little comp on here to encourage each other :) )

I honestly havnt played a game with or against either in 8th... but I love both styles too. For me the descisiion was made because I have a guard army already and had the space hulk stealers and a couple of boxes of cultists from a aborted renegades and heretics army to use, otherwise I'd be in the same boat!

Thanks, I'm glad you like em. 

I've since found out pretty much everyone else bar 1 in the group who were doing this tale of gamers didnt start in Jan, so I'm having Feb off to sort my bfg, bb and necromunda stuff out, and will be picking up the cultists towards the end of feb/mostly in march.

When you have decided, give me a shout, would love to see how your guys progress too (and we could even have a little comp on here to encourage each other :smile.: )

That sounds like a plan. I picked up some stuff from a friend, he basecoated them this weird red/rust color. I'll probably re-basecoat grey, and then decide on a color scheme. That's been my biggest issue with this army. What to paint?

I've got red for my Blood Angels, and went a dark coppery type of paint scheme for my Stygies VIII Mechanicus.

These guys? Not sure, but it wont be like the two above schemes. That's why I like yours so much. Very vibrant.

wait til you see my cultists... they are going to be grey trousers, red shirts under white armour... if I can paint it!

You could do the blue clothing and white armour that GW do some of their cultists in