Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jbaeza's Hive Fleet Hydra Pile O' Shame Log (Tervigon help)

Tyranids Log Hydra Xenos Cell 42 for me

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

med_gallery_86595_13926_42146.jpg

Hey guys, so i dove feet first into 8th ed tyranids. I was always fond of them, I like the idea of a swarm and bugs. I thought a dark purple/blue would be cool and boom! What do you know?! Hive Fleet Hydra not only had the playstyle I wanted, but also a color scheme close to what I invisioned! I'm glad for this Tyranid Growth Challenge going on. It'll give me drive to keep painting. I'm gonna be asking for a lot of help from you guys, I haven't played a single 8th ed game, and I've only ever played DA (please don't tell the Chaplains, I don't want to return to Cell 42). I've also never played with or against a Tyranid army before, so I'm pretty lost as to what's good and what's not.

My Pile O' Shame:
Trygon/Mawlock
Swarmlord/Tyrant
Tervigon
Broodlord
24x Hormagaunts
24x Termigants
10x Gargoyles
8x Genestealers
3x Warriors
3x Venomthroaps/Zoanthroaps

I'll keep this list updated as a reminder of what I still owe you guys.

1st on the chopping block, 24x Termigants. I will be having 20x fleshboarers and 4x devourers. Reason is, I can bring back the fleshboarer termigants. I beleive I'll have a sound base to expand on in the future when I get my 3rd box (eventually) of termigants, which will be kitted with as many devourers as possible. Thoughts?

Don't forget to leave painting advice, tips, tricks, and critiques (when I get to that point).

Edited by jbaeza94, 14 May 2018 - 02:50 PM.

"Honor the Legion" - Common farewell of the Legion of the Iron Lion space marine chapter, children of the First.

k0EYErV.pngCovenant_of_Caliban_2_Banner.jpg

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 11,030 posts

Perhaps we could have a main Pile of Shame thread to keep track of people's progress?

Anyway, good luck with painting all of that and I look forward to seeing pictures! :tu:

• jbaeza94 likes this

"Suffer not the Heretic to live."

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts
Haha that sounds like a good idea :) I'd gladly, no, shamefully, display my pile there.

Thank you for showing interest chaps, I hope to not disappoint

"Honor the Legion" - Common farewell of the Legion of the Iron Lion space marine chapter, children of the First.

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

Hey guys,

I been thinking on how im going to be painting the blue. i kinda want a blue gray feel. i use vallejo, but i also added the gw equivalent.  i was thinking something like:

Base: Ultramarine Blue (Altdorf Guard Blue)
Wash: Nuln Oil or Drakenof Nightshade (im not sure what would look better.)
Highlight: Ultramarine Blue (Altdorf Guard Blue)??
Highlight 2: Wolf Gray (Fenrisian Grey)??

what do you guys think? would this work?

Hellrender

Hellrender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,546 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
The citadel paint app just had hydra added this week. Recommend taking a look (its free)
  • jbaeza94 likes this

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

oh ok! thanks! ill check it out today. i should be able to start painting sunday

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

so i didnt start painting sunday... 

however i did start painting today haha. i decided to use a different blue than previous thought, and different from what gw said on their app. idk, i just dont like their blue. its too... it too blue... what really got me for hydra was the gray blue on the art, and i think ive got a good match. Somber Blue (the fang) with blue wash. check it out :) 

gallery_86595_13926_1066680.png

gallery_86595_13926_1612344.png

i still have to do highlights and stuff, but i'll do that tomorrow. thoughts?

Corwyn

Corwyn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
I’m doing hydra and have come up with a vert fast scheme. Spray with the f Fang. Carapace and claws with black. Flesh with daemonette hide. Works pretty well for fast painting.
  • jbaeza94 likes this

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

indeed the fang is a superior color to what GW originally had.
For the flesh i went with xersus purple and genestealer purple equivalents. i think it looked great.  i used a medium gray, im not sure what gw calls theirs, for the striping on the carapace. ill tell you what, that is really hard to paint and to make it look nice. one of them came out really awesome! the rest are meh haha

the minis are done, minus the base, i just havent had time to take pics and post, but expect some within the next day or 2 

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

Hey guys, so looking to building a tervigon for the ETL, but im at a loss. Is the tervigon viable or would the tyranofex be superior? the plan was to surround the tervigon with termis and have them constantly be replenished. reroll 1's for their shooting doesnt sound bad, and it could hold an objective or maybe push into a heavy vehicle. however, ive still never seen how tyrainds play at all. what are your guys thoughts? is the tervigon worth it?

Filkarion

Filkarion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 196 posts
  • Faction: Sublime Sound Seekers

My personal take is: rules change, Magnets/bluetac are forever

With Tervigon/Tirannofez (I like fez! Fez is cool) it means:

Easy magnetization of the 2 heads

Not so hard arms and Weapons magnetization (Bonus! interchangeable TyFez cannons!) 

A bit triky spawning sack magnetization (a bit of green stff to support magnets in the internal lower part of the birthing sack will do the trick, the upper part fits preatty well to the body)

I will submit mine in this ETL if I survive my first vow

For actual battle data, I'm sorry I have none... still both seems to me pratty good on paper

Short version: Just vow the most expensive for the ETL _NOW_ and assemble with sense for a later switch

Please^^;;; (Just joking...maybe^^;;;; )

Edited by Filkarion, 14 May 2018 - 03:54 PM.

gallery_29004_11951_52635.jpgETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpgMy Sublime Sound Seekers Slaanesh army

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts

i dont think i would change heads if i magnetized. heads to me seem like look thing rather than actual wysiwyg, im sure i could think of a way to stick the belly on with magnets though. i might have to do that to maximize my money and list options. id love to submit the most expensive model possible, but id rather have a thematic submission, tervigon and 12 little friends. im not sure what the total point cost is for it, it may or may not be the priciest option. maybe though, if i have time, ill contribute a swarmlord, thats pretty pricy ;)

• Filkarion likes this

Filkarion

Filkarion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 196 posts
  • Faction: Sublime Sound Seekers

Obviously thematic always wins over almost everything!

And Swarmy is always welcome msn-wink.gif

gallery_29004_11951_52635.jpgETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpgMy Sublime Sound Seekers Slaanesh army

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,349 posts
In practice, the tervigon is quite overcosted - you have to pay points for all the other terms it spawns, and has no offensive output on its own.

The TFex is in a good place right now, so I would go for that, or magnetise.

If you play narrative, or love the tervigon, go with that.

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts
I thought you could respawn previously killed termigants for free, it was only the fresh squads that you had to pay for?

I'll keep the tfex in mind. Gotta look at the weapon data sheets again

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,349 posts

I thought you could respawn previously killed termigants for free, it was only the fresh squads that you had to pay for?

I'll keep the tfex in mind. Gotta look at the weapon data sheets again

This is correct on the respawn units - the issue is that the tervigon will replace 60 Gants over a 6 turn game max, which is 240pts worth of gaunts...which is about the cost of the tervigon.

You might be better off just adding 60 Gants to the army so you can use them from turn 1.

Edited by Xenith, 23 May 2018 - 07:23 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tyranids, Log, Hydra, Xenos, Cell 42 for me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users