Necromunda Painting Campaign: Turf War

Doghouse

TURF WAR

Four hundred generations ago a war was waged that spanned the great skies and stars beyond them. The mightiest warriors of ancient Terra would spread out to the stars and liberate our ancestors from xeno and human tyrant alike. 
It was one such group of warriors, known as the Imperial Fists that would come to our world to free us and enlighten us to the ways of Him on Holy Terra. Our world was once known as Araneus, now Necromunda, a name remembered by scant few and before the time of the Imperium our people were ruled by the nobility of the time known collectively as the Araneus Continuity. Very few records of that time exist now but one incident would come to change that and shed some light on those that came before.

A previously unexplored cavern of some size had been discovered by a Manufactory Commissar Squad that had been chasing cowardly workers that had failed in their duty of accepting Industrial Matyrdom for not meeting their shift quota by 0.3%. Initial surveys indicated the likelihood of Araneus Archotech being present but by the time the reports of their initial findings had been filed and processed two centuries had passed and the region had become infested with the flotsam and jetsam of the Underhive.

It was the great noble House of Ulanti that would discover the records and guard them closely to prevent the other Houses finding of their new claim. Despite the immense size of Hive Primus word of an open conflict would soon spread and there would be a chance that House Ulanti might lose it's prize, the region being seeded with rare Psionic Crystals that would prove to be of great value to them in their off world dealings.

Instead a scheme was hatched that would grow into a plot and lead to a great plan that would form. Ulanti would turn to the lesser Houses, the Clan gangers that toiled below, with an offer to secure the region for them by any means necessary. Of course the House would not tell them of the value of these crystals, dismissing them as simple gems that their work teams would dispose of at a later date. An offer would be made of an Edict of Absolution, an unheard of opportunity amongst the lower classes of an offer of a handful of individuals to rise up to the upper spire. This in turn would be kept secret by the gang leaders and so the subterfuge trickled down the hierarchy of the Spire.

Gangs, cutthroats and Mercenaries would venture into the great cavern and by means of their support steer the fate of it's denizens to ultimately bend their knee to House Ulanti. The great Turf War of Ulanti had begun.

http://i67.tinypic.com/308ft38.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2qlr2q1.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/mwbqr4.jpg

Turf War is designed to help encourage members of the community to create and paint their Necromunda and/or Inq28 models but take part in an actual narrative campaign using a very simple system to shape events.
The premise is extremely straightforward, you paint and base a model or models and for each model completed you get one Influence point.

Because the gangs are going to be slowly released over coming months and people might want to create their own gang types or characters the game has generalised four factions:

http://i63.tinypic.com/qzqbtg.jpg

Each of these factions represents a body of influence within the regions mentioned above. Players get one Influence point per model completed, painted and based, that they can then give to one of these factions in a specific region. So for example lets say you painted a Gang Leader, that gives you one point which you could say this is my completed model I would like to put one point for the Militia in Sump Town.
One of the little boxes above will then be filled in their faction colour, as the campaign progresses the boxes will begin to fill and you will see who is the most powerful faction in each region.
Like I say these are kept generalised to allow you to develop the narrative. So say for example you wanted to make a cultist gang using Escher models and rules. You might want to lend your support to the Devoted faction in the hope of your little cult gaining power amongst the denizens of the great cavern.

http://i64.tinypic.com/15jaja.jpg

Ok so I don't really want to make a gang...

Well not to worry, you can still make single models of interest for the campaign. So say you are a fan of Inq28 and none of the gangs take your fancy or you just don't want to get into Necromunda in a big way. You may submit a single model as a Persona Dramaticus, these can be anything from a civilian to bounty hunter or lone smuggler, anything as long as it is 40k related in the theme of Necromunda that you feel fits in. So a Smuggler or Privateer, a Rogue Trader down on his luck, an alien mercenary, an Ogryn bodyguard, it's up to you but keep it sensible, infantry related and creative.

You can also add a piece of terrain as long as it is sensible, such as you might want to include say a saloon or one of the GW admech  terrain pieces. This can also be submitted to gain a single influence point but you want to aim for a minimum of 3x3 inches, you won't get points for submitting a single barrel or ammo crate. :biggrin.:
It needs to be a location of interest that you would like to add to your own gaming table. 

So to recap, you get one Influence point per gang model submitted, single Persona Dramaticus or single terrain piece.  

You can post wip shots here or post links to your own threads in WIP, it's entirely up to you but the finished model must be posted here with the faction you wish to give the influence point to and the region you want to place it. When you post pictures of completed models feel free to add any details or backstory to them as you wish, this could be something as simple as a name and the name of the gang.

Each Saturday/Sunday, if progress has been made I will update the charts above and write a little on how this has changed things in the region. If nothing is completed (don't want people rushing and ruining their models) I'll post up some lore for the various settlements to inspire people to plot things out.

So to recap:
  • Paint and Base a model for 1 influence point.
  • State which faction you want to give that point to.
  • State which Region you want that point placed.
​You do not have to stick to one gang but anyone that completes a full gang within the space of the campaign will get a signature banner kindly made by WarriorFish. Any questions feel free to ask.

Remember the key here is to help you get your new gang finished so try to only post new completed models and not ones that you have had finished for ages. Don't treat it overly competitively, have fun and help build the narrative of this new settlement.

Nice start GRC!, should we call your base coat guy 'Hans'... Cause he hasn't got any yet!

I must say I'm finding the Escher a bit hard to paint if they're put completely together!, might re think the next few after the first two

Mithril

I'm going to tackle my Escher without the lasgun arm / shotgun arm.. .think that'll let me get in there.  The leader is gonna be tricksy as her jacket was essential to building the model, but meh, least her arms are free with the sword n plasma pistol :)

I'll work on getting my six gal's for this, good motivation :)  My 1000 credit Gang War start.

few questions. Firstly I take it that the Syndicate faction is the orgamised crime faction? If so thats the faction for me. Secondly I dont possess the means of taking higj qualty, display quality photos, for the purposes oc the campaign will mobile pics suffice? Finally how long will the campaign last, as I wont be able to gwt much done until aftet chrimbo? Apart from that Ive got some cool ideas in mind.

few questions. Firstly I take it that the Syndicate faction is the orgamised crime faction? If so thats the faction for me. Secondly I dont possess the means of taking higj qualty, display quality photos, for the purposes oc the campaign will mobile pics suffice? Finally how long will the campaign last, as I wont be able to gwt much done until aftet chrimbo? Apart from that Ive got some cool ideas in mind.

I dont think mobile pictures would be a problem mate. I have been getting by with my crappy Samsung for a few years now for Call of Chaos and (winning 3 years running) ETL vow images :)

Nice start GRC!, should we call your base coat guy 'Hans'... Cause he hasn't got any yet!

I must say I'm finding the Escher a bit hard to paint if they're put completely together!, might re think the next few after the first two

Mithril

Can't say I know the 'Hans' reference, but a name has been given. Let the first Goliath of the *Insert gangname* be known as Hans!

With all the pieces hanging on the Escher, I can imagine that painting it would be a pain. I found it easier to glue everything together except for the 2-handed weapons and all the accessoires. Best to glue those on afterwards.

Mithrolforge: I agree with you there, I'm having the same problem. I think the way I might go is build the torso, legs and head then do the arms seperately like GreyRavenC says.

Inquisitor Fox: Nice one look forward to seeing them mate.

tu_shan82: Like Slave to Darkness rightly says, don't worry about the picture quality. What we're basically doing is using this as an incentive to get your gang made and having a bit of a goal doing it. ;)

The factions are pretty generalised so Syndicate is a bit like all the various criminals from lone Spook dealers all the way up to Mafia style bosses. When you complete a model it could be as simple as sending that ganger off to run an errand for a local dealer, collecting protection money for a local crime boss, taking care of individuals that may cause problems for racketeers, etc.

The flip side of this is you don't have to stick with one faction. Say you are trying to build up a religious cult, if the syndicate presence grows in one region you could decide to commit one model to the militia in that area to stir up some trouble.

Grotsmasha: That's it on the nose mate. :) I've made sure we have enough room for 63 models in each region and if it were to prove popular we could expand it to include more. It's paint what you want at your own speed. 

update - basecoat is done,

yep i'm def going to not put arms or even heads(depending on hairstyle) on till after painting the girls, i'm slow enough as it is,i don't need to be stressing about hard to reach spots :sweat:

I was trying to get a tech look going on her with orange and white armor(it's a little hard to see though),seems a bit hard with the aesthetic...My next few gangers will probably go the cyberpunk shadowrun look instead...

Question - Do i just redo the white armour plates in metal and call it a day ....??!! :ermm:

med_gallery_9146_6928_30534.jpg

* This ladies mark will be Going towards - Militia in Sumptown.

@GreyRavenC - your Goliath has no "Hands" at the moment due to weapon not being attached... hence the name "Hans" :happy.:

Glad to see others Joining in on this :biggrin.:

Cheers, Mithril

Actually the orange and white says Clone Trooper / Old Republic to me, I dig it! I would have done the gun handles and tabard in a non-white to distinguish then from the plates, but that's just me.

my bad, gun handles and tabard are not painted yet :blush.:

see your point on the colours,i may proceed with caution:biggrin.:

Mithril 

Guess its time to throwdown and claim my slice of the underhive.

Im gonna start with this guy,

med_gallery_75911_13630_39029.jpg

in the diningroom with the toilet brush...

Sorry sorry, wrong game, I mean Devoted in Mutie Creek, my Venators hear there are Twists there that needs removing.

Ooh I forgot this guy as well. med_gallery_75911_13630_480035.jpg

Great concept, and once that'll tie in nicely with my painting plans – I'll have to see what I can do :smile.:

This should be good... *Grabs popcorn*

I finished Hans, the mini at least. I placed an order at Dragon forge yesterday, so I'll have to wait a bit for my bases.

gallery_92826_13417_28952.jpg

@GreyRavenC - your Goliath has no "Hands" at the moment due to weapon not being attached... hence the name "Hans" :happy.:

That went straight over my head :teehee: I like the armourplates on your Esher. Stick through and finish the model, you can decide then.

Next model put together, it's in part thanks to kastor kreig and his De Escher conversions(thanks man)

I present Lady Deathstroke!, my new champion.

med_gallery_9146_6928_155389.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

++edit - can only link on phone, will post pic properly later++

Looking very nice so far guys. :thumbsup:

With some of you very close to getting your first models done but no actual territory being claimed just yet I am adding the first update to the campaign to provide you with some ideas and inspiration. This is all minor stuff, once you start claiming actual territories the effects will be more profound.

http://i64.tinypic.com/27xknbb.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/24vup2v.jpg

Okay. I figured out how to use the gallery here (about time, but I've been really resigned about uploading pictures since photobucket went south). Now I just need to figure out how to link from my gallery (Antarius' Necromunda stuff) to this thread...

But at least it's online now, so you know I'm not cheating :)

I primed 15 Escher yesterday and I'm going to get started on them today. We're moving in on Broke Neck Ridge, 'cause diamonds are a girls best friend. Pledging for the syndicate 'cause what's the point in living unless you're living wild?

I also undercoated two sets of barricades from the boxed game, I don't know if those will count as a piece of terrain?

@ Antarius

- Open up a picture of your gallery
- Press 'Options' on the right side of the picture.

- Press 'share links' on the bottom of the options

- Copy the link of 'Image link'.

- Paste the link in your comment by using the 'Image' icon.

You can't post the whole gallery in one go, you need to do this for each picture seperately.

Archived