Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rhinos and units

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2 posts
I see many players embarking multiple units in a rhino (7 Plague Marines, a Choas Lord, a Plague Caster.. etc), but I want to run a 20 man unit in 2 rhinos. From everything I've read while they are disembarked is the only time they need to keep unit coherency, while embarked they don't count as being on the table. I was told I couldn't and when I asked them to explain why not, their response was "it's always been that way".

Can someone point me to where this is covered?

Kristoff

Kristoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,664 posts
Is there an allowance for part of a unit to be embarked?
BT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.jpg
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

QUOTE (Sigismund)
"Zeal makes all things possible, duty makes all things simple"

QUOTE (Megavolt)
"They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Mr. Shine

Mr. Shine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 429 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
Have you tried referring to the 'Transports' box on page 183 of the rulebook?

In particular it says when all models in a unit are within range of a transport they may embark within it.

"They" of course being "all models in a unit".

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Ulfgrim Alvsbane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,845 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines

I don't think that was his question.

I'm just not even sure a 20-man squad could embark on anything with less than a 20 capacity.

"We come home to pray, to reflect, to remember, before we journey back to the stars.
Hatred keeps us crusading, Regret brings us home. Shame always calls us back." - ADB

Toasterfree

Toasterfree

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,165 posts
  • Chapter Name: Wolves

that was his question, if he could put a 20 man unit into 2 different transports. which no you cant. so a 20 man unit wont go into a rhino until its 10 or less. it can how ever go into one of the super heavy transports (I forget the name off hand)

• Ulfgrim Alvsbane likes this

QUOTE ('Forgotten Knight")
EDIT: I just checked and in the listing it does say "Power Weapon". So maces, swords, axes, spears, and chopsticks would be legal, as long as thier powered. :-P
QUOTE (Heimdal @ Oct 6 2009, 02:33 PM) 
Search with the servo sperm and thou shalt find!

I am a tank. You will not get past me. If you DO get past me, you will not get the rest of my team, as they have already fled. Unless my team doesnt want to leave me behind, which I will take as many of you with me as I can, before you get to the rest of us.

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,913 posts
  • Chapter Name: Lamenters

It's the rules for Embarking that prevent this. "If all models in a unit end their move within 3" of a friendly transport, they can embark within it. Remove the unit from the battlefield and place it to one side - it is now embarked inside the transport." Not "part of the unit", just "the unit". Either they all go in, or none do. All references to the transport are singular, nothing indicates multiples, and the rules are permissive, rather than restrictive - they tell us what we can do, not what we can't (other than when specifying, of course).

That, and I'd also argue that moving units into two different transports is inherently moving them out of coherency, regardless of whether they're "on the table" or not while embarked, as the two Rhino's could move in opposite directions, one could get destroyed requiring the troops to exit while the other continues, etc.

They probably should specify this in an FAQ or something, just so we've got a concrete answer, rather than cobbling together ways it doesn't really work from a variety of other sections.

• Ulfgrim Alvsbane and Toasterfree like this
QUOTE (A D-B @ Feb 2 2011, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Lord_Caerolion @ Feb 1 2011, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,883 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

To add, the Transport rules tell us that a unit can only embark or disembark once a turn. If it is getting into two Rhinos, then it is embarking twice which breaks those rules.

• Toasterfree likes this

Kristoff

Kristoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,664 posts

I don't think that was his question.

I'm just not even sure a 20-man squad could embark on anything with less than a 20 capacity.

That is part of his question.  In order to embark a 20-man squad in to two Transports, only part of the unit would be Embarked on any Transport at some point.

Edited by Kristoff, 08 December 2017 - 06:10 AM.

BT_Chaos_at_the_Gates_Banner.jpg
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

QUOTE (Sigismund)
"Zeal makes all things possible, duty makes all things simple"

QUOTE (Megavolt)
"They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,913 posts
  • Chapter Name: Lamenters

And to put a final nail in the coffin, the rulebook states that "a unit must be set up and finish any sort of move as a group". Even though they're 'not on the table', it'd be hard to say that embarking in two different vehicles is finishing your move as a group.

QUOTE (A D-B @ Feb 2 2011, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Lord_Caerolion @ Feb 1 2011, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users