30K Death Guard 2000 points

strawberry fist

Hello everyone, 

I'm both new to the forum and 30k, I've recently read the Flight of the Einstein and have been inspired to make a Death Guard 30k army.

I've gone out and bought the Prospero set and the two red books but I'm wondering what else would I need to build a competitive/ fun/ fluffy list?

I've had a go at making a list and would like some feedback before I go off and buy the majority of this from Forge World. 

2000p

HQ
Legion Preator- Cataphractti Armour, Volkite and paragon blade
Seige Breaker with Cataphractti Armour, Volkite and Thunder Hammer
Troops
Tactical X10 and Rhino
Tactical X10 and Rhino
Heavy Support Squad X 5man- Missile
Heavy Support Squad X 5man- Missile
Elite
Contemptor Mortis- Kheres Assault Cannons
Legion Quad Motar- Phosphex
Terminator Squad- Flamer and 5 power fists (Or Grave Warden as standard load out)
Heavy
Legion Sicaran- Lascannon sponsons
Spartan with flare shield 

For 2500 point I'd love to add in Mortarion. 

Thanks for the help :) 

Or is this one better...

Typhon - the reaping (rate of war)

Bodyguard - deathshroud X4 in proteus (40k variant)

Siege Breaker Consul - cataphractti armour combi flamer, thunder hammer

Tactical squad - rhino, vexila, nuncio vox

Tactical squad - rhino, vexila, nuncio voX

Heavy weapons squad X5 missile

Heavy weapons squad X5 missile

Contemptor Morris - X2 kheres

Quad motar - phosphex

Scorpius

Sicaran - las sponsons

So many Death Guard lists out there atm! :)

Have you nailed down your theme? Mortarion and Typhon don’t really play well together in-game or in-fluff.

- If you want to focus on Typhon, then Grave Wardens are solid and thematic (he’s the master of the Grave Wardens, after all). They can also take a Spartan as a Dedicated Transport. “The Reaping” is a good option here, as it exemplifies the Death Guard’s implacable nature.

- If you want to focus on Mortarion, Deathshroud are obviously appropriate. If you want to run them in a Land Raider with Morty, make sure it’s a Phobos as it’s an Assault Vehicle. Pretty much any Rite of War is good with Mortarion, as he can get where he needs to super-easy with his Shadow of the Reaper ability.

I obviously want to run Mortarion, mainly for his shadow of the reaper rule.

Just struggled to include him at 2000 points and weren't sure how to best load out a preator

Aiming to place an order for missing parts of this list before Christmas so any help making this list better would be appreciated :)

Ok, so if you want Mortarion then you need a Compulsory HQ, which a Siege Breaker fulfils nicely. For smaller games, you can use your Garro-Praetor as well (unlocking a Rite of War). Capitalise on that Siege Breaker though - take a few shatter/phosphex Quad Mortars (not lots, as they’re a bit OP) and a decent-sized Heavy Support Squad for him to sit in (granting them Tank Hunters). He won’t need to be in Cataphractii armour, as he’ll be backfield, so that saves a few points.

You can go 2 routes with Troops - 15-man squads (20 is probably too unwieldy) with Apothecaries slowly advancing up the field, or 10-man squads in Rhinos. The former is more thematic for “The Reaping”, but the latter is probably more competitive (as you cannot Run). You obviously also have Veterans & Heavy Support Squads there too, which is nice.

Deathshroud are unique in that they can start 2-strong. That means 3 of them and Mortarion will fit in a Land Raider Phobos, or 4 and your Garro-Praetor.

Whirlwind Scorpii are always nice. If you want a Sicaran, consider the new Arcus variant as it has interesting ammo and is definitely the strongest one out there. However if you need a dedicated Super-heavy killer, then the Venator is unsurpassed in that role.

Kheres Mortis is a great unit - great bang-for-your-buck. 2 is even better, as they can cover a lot of ground (even with only 24” range).

Hope this all helps!

I like all the suggestions but struggling to fit it all in :sad.:
Even struggling to make a 2000 point list without Mortarion and a 2500 point list with him added in!

Is this looking any better?

+ HQ +

Siege Breaker : Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Combi-Weapon, On Foot, Refractor Field
. Consul: Siege Breaker

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought : Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon x 2

Quad Launcher Support Battery, Legion : Phosphex Canister Shot, Rapier, Legion

+ Troops +

Heavy Support Squad, Legion Missile Launcher : Missile Launcher, 9x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

Tactical Squad, Legion : Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: Bolters, Nuncio-vox, Vexilla, Legion
. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

Tactical Squad, Legion : Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion, 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: Bolters, Nuncio-vox, Vexilla, Legion
. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Battle Squadron, Legion : Land Raider Phobos

Sicaran Battle Tank : Accelerator Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons

Whirlwind Scorpius, Legion : Scorpius Multi-Launcher

+ Allegiance +

and Allegiance, Legion: XIV: Death Guard, Traitor

Rite of War: The Reaping

+ Lords of War +

Mortarion the Reaper

Total: 2000pts

Edited by strawberry fist

I’d drop Mortarion and run a Praetor and 4 Deathshroud at 2k. For 2500, you can add him back in, drop a Deathshroud (so he and his unit fit in a Land Raider) and add another cheap unit to make up the difference. Having a few extra options means you can mix it up between games anyway. :)

Plan now is have this list at 2000 points and swap Garro and a deathshroud for something worth roughly 260p (possibly a venerator)

Hq

-Garro (legion preator):

Paragon blade, iron halo, boltgun

Bodyguard:- 4x deathshroud with proteus

-Seige Breaker

Artificer armour, refractor field, combi weapon

Troops

-heavy weapons team x10 missile

-tactical squad, rhino, nuncio vox, vexilla

-tactical squad, rhino, nuncio vox, vexilla

Elites

-contemptor Morris, kheres