What to get with the new codex

The Rogue Gamer

With the coming of our new codex, I'm not sure what to invest in to bring my Dark Angels up to speed.

I already have a vast collection of Deathwing, Ravenwing and green wing http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/member/71025-the-rogue-gamer/

So perhaps I should turn my attention to the Primaris range. I think a squad of Hellblasters is a given and the new lieutenant ( with the helmet on). But what to support them with? What works well with our army? How good are the interceptors or the aggressors and do they fit in with our method of war. Or should I just get a Repulsor or redemptor. Or is a squad of Intercessors to support my marines.

Also how good are those fancy terminators that we have access to now.

I'm probably going to be able to get 1 or maybe 2 of these on top of the Hellblasters and lieutenant so any advice is welcome.

I was just skimming Ebay to see what's there. The new codex has me once again interested in a dark Angels army I sold my last collection 2 or 3 years ago. I'd be interested in about 2000 points, which I think would be manageable. I have 2 dark vengeance sets still, one unopened and some other left over marines and bitz in a box.  
I just don't want to jump right into a huge collection. I did that a few times before and couldn't seem to get it painted. 
From the sound of things and looking at the dark Angels selection on the GW site, the Nu-marines will be in the codex. So that could be fun. 

I've fought them a few times they're ok. I want to minimize how much I spend. I may buy the mini's from the starter box to start with. I'm more concerned with getting my units painted, hopefully, before I buy more units. I'm eyeballing those Plasma Primaris. I'm kinda thinking I wand just 3 small low cost troop units and heavy hitters after that. No real plan though. 

I used 2 tactical squads from the dark vengeance box set, they have plasma and markings already. Each squad is 171 pts. I then added a unit of intercessors(?) to make my 3 troops. 2 squads of hellblasters and 2 of interceptors or whatever they are called and a contemptor. Then just added extra stuff when I see the codex so a redemptor, Las pread etc. Wait and see what the hqs are like I think.

Not too great, but with the Chapter Approved changes, Primaris will be cheaper, and more usable. And, to be fair, it's the Grim Resolve and stratagem that make Hellblasters worthwhile. Overcharging will be safer and do even more damage. You'll be able to wipe tanks with relative ease and heavy infantry will also be very vulnerable to plasma fire, since each shot will likely kill a 2-wound model.

Hellblasters are probably, at least in my opinion, the best primaris unit available right now.  They are a pretty safe bet as far a purchases go.  Also I would stick with the standard rapid fire plasma incinerator, the assault ones have lower strength and the heavy ones are only a single shot.

As for other units, if you have to ask the question, I would wait until the codex drops.  Once we know the full extent to what options, buffs, and stratagems we have available to us, it will be safer to make purchases that you won't regret.

Since you already have a collection, I would say to pick up some of the new stuff we are getting access to.  Cataphractii are pretty cool, in my ultramarine army I have run a unit of 5 lightning claw cataphractii with a captain in a land raider and they can do some pretty good work if they reach combat.  Tartaros have some different options as far as special weapons go, but they aren't all that great.  Only the plasma blaster is really any good, but that is limited to the sergeant.  Contemptors are solid, but the plastic model isn't that great unless you convert it.

The main units for consideration are the Intercessors and the reavers.

The aggressors look cool but seem more of a back line to mid field unit and the interceptors seem a little lost against our Ravenwing units.

I'd like to know more about the Repulsor and the Redemptor (that just sounds Dark Angel-ly) and how they fair in game in general. Compared to a regular/Contemptor dread and a land raider.

I'm really looking forward to making a 6 man inceptor unit with plasma, it's pricey but the thought of dropping them with the +1dmg staragem on them for some overcharged fun brings out the dark angel in me :)

Average is 24 shots str 8, - 3, 3 dmg

Then drop a 7 man deathwing Knight squad in front of them with an ancient and belial for rerolls and attack buffs and for less than 1000 points you've got quite a threat in the enemies face.

Probably not the most effective or efficient use of points but sometimes you've got to do just do what looks cool! And if them knights make turn one charge can do some serious damage.

Captain

Aggressors are NOT backfield units. They have assault weapons with short range.

But their slow moving with out a transport, that if they can go in a transport. So mid field ground holders then. Perhaps.

That's what I'm looking to find out.

Don't forget they can advance and still shoot at full ballistic skill so 7" to 12" move a turn. Or you can fit 5 of them in a repulsor.

Captain

Well as far as the chapter tactic goes, i'm worried about how it will affect the azrael parking lot strategy since now everything will get the 1s rerolls.I will stick with the azrael bubble combo with 3 predators autocannons for the killshot stratagem. And will also field 2 5man hellblaster squads on buildings since now they can overcharge far from azrael without worrying much. Heavy or rapid fire depends on the position.

Dark Talon seems aswell a solid addition, worrying though how the hurricane bolters increase will affect it.

My experience seeing others use Primaris, Hellblasters have a reasonable mid range and for Aggressors, a lot of people forget they can advance and shoot. Even without the double shooting protocol, that's still 36+D6 shots. Even against Marine 3+ armour, that's a scary amount of dice to roll.

Remember synergy. whether using Primaris or vanilla units, make the opponent have to choose between the Rock and a Hard Place when picking who to shoot first. 

The Redemptor dred with the new Grim Resolve is going to absolutely shred. Even more so with that strat that gives a dred Deathwing/Inner Circle. 

Intercessors with Stalker Bolt Rifles are down to 100pts I think and with Grim Resolve they will tear up stuff at a good range too.

Reivers + the new psychic powers make for some Ld dropping plays. Terror tactics.

Im going full Primaris with whatever character support. The new Talonmaster is going to shred stuff as well and give a super mobile reroll 1s to wound. Also the Fire Raptor is down 60pts too. Thats my plan anyway 

Unless they give Talonmasters a character key word, might wanna be careful using talonmasters which is essentially a lieutenant in a land Speeder. Land speeders are really underwhelming and expensive. One with a Typhoon launcher now costs MORE than a vindicator.

I've just added a couple of inceptors squads to my collection to add to the 8th main box 1 the cheap bolter ones off ebay & a proper box to plasma up

The chapter approved points drop make them a bit of a steal and the plasma discipline just further adds to the pain train, I'm going to run them with Sammael for the re-roll 1's and a Dark Shroud nearby.

I've tried Hellblaster's and they work really well near Azreal what you need though is a big distraction to suck fire away from them, the new primaris tank will do the job.

Intercessors are really durable with 2 wounds and help absorb spam (smite & other) I've picked up another A & B squad off ebay to finish off my troop primaris contingent.

Belial gives other wings re-roll 1's so inceptors dropping behind him with Deathwing Knights in front Sounds a good match

Even with the points drop for powerfists stock terminators are still pricey

But their slow moving with out a transport

In what universe is a foot unit that can move 11" per turn and still fire without penalty "slow"?  If you're not Advancing with Aggressors every turn, you're doing it wrong.  And they can provide their own covering fire.

But their slow moving with out a transport

In what universe is a foot unit that can move 11" per turn and still fire without penalty "slow"? If you're not Advancing with Aggressors every turn, you're doing it wrong. And they can provide their own covering fire.

That's the sort of information I was was looking for as I stated in my opening gambit. I don't really know anything other than what's in the index and not come across primarus on the table top.