8th Ed BA Codex video batrep record

Hillslam

Thought since we had a thread like this prior to getting our codex when we were still rocking our index, and at the time I quit counting it ended up around the 16-60 win-loss ratio (or almost a 4 to 1 loss ratio)  I thought it might be worthwhile as the major channels start getting their mitts on the new codex to keep a running tally of how we're doing in online video batreps.

So far I've only seen some of the early adopters with batreps up, so it's early still. So what's the early scoreboard?

----------------------------------

EDITED to update tally

----------------------------------

W - L

2 - 8

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT - updated as more batreps come out

-----------------------------------------------------------

so far it seems all have fallen into the character bubble trap, expecting the DC to tank more (instead of playing them as a glass cannon one-shot blunderbuss) and thus having too few chars on table.  Here's hoping many crack the code soon.

Edited by Hillslam

I never expected BA to be easy to play or even overly successfull in a shooty meta so I'm not surprised at all to be honest.

I hear you SF.

I don't know though, this army has the unique ability to be extremely mobile. I think my hardest spot will be getting enough CP to run everything.

I'll probably stay away from an extra relic AND Death Company captain/character. That would be 2 CP out of a slim pool to begin with. I'll probably have to go either/or, not both.

I'm not as concerned with alpha striking my DC either, so that's another 2 CP I'll save. I mean, potentially, we could be dropping 4 CP before the game beings!

The Hellstorm Gaming guy did some kinda dumb stuff.  He held his land raider back instead of going in with the rhino to do a double death company assault on turn 2.  They got stuck in the land raider for much longer than they should have respectively.  Those guys needed to be out front on turn 2, kicking ass and taking names.

Also, I'm pretty sure the first wave of DC did not roll the right number of attacks (forgetting chainswords).

I also don't know why he split up his baal predators so much, putting them outside the captain's reroll aura.

I've watched most of them and they certainly haven't been played well. I certainly don't claim to be a great or even good player, but I won my first game, with a firebase, and a couple of assault units that whiffed horribly. Detailed report went up yesterday. I expect things to get better as people figure out what to do, but I'm not expecting great numbers, especially against the really good codexes (AM, Eldar)

I've watched most of them and they certainly haven't been played well. I certainly don't claim to be a great or even good player, but I won my first game, with a firebase, and a couple of assault units that whiffed horribly. Detailed report went up yesterday. I expect things to get better as people figure out what to do, but I'm not expecting great numbers, especially against the really good codexes (AM, Eldar)

What I'm liking is the meta-changing possibility of Captain Smashypants...because you really don't need to specifically build for him.  114 pts but the CP's are all optional afterwards.  It could be that just the threat of this guy going in like a Nuke on Turn 1 changes things up.

Yeah the meta will change for sure. Right now people could run multiple characters and units like Scions could drop down and only target&kill one of them while we can drop down and charge all 5 (or however many there are) of them which forces people who used to rely on multiple characters hiding behind eachother to take a different approach to the game. That's just one example.

This is the correct outlook.

Blood Angels are still Marines, and have access to most of the great firepower available in the standard codex.

They have unique assault elements and options, but that doesn't mean the army should be a one trick pony.

Build a strong firebase, pay for objective holders and then plan for the assault element to cripple key enemy units.

Blood Angels are still Marines, and have access to most of the great firepower available in the standard codex.

They have unique assault elements and options, but that doesn't mean the army should be a one trick pony.

Build a strong firebase, pay for objective holders and then plan for the assault element to cripple key enemy units.

Agreed. This is why I think the Brigade idea has legs.  2x plasma on 3 groups of assault marines...it really isn't that much different than the idea of putting only 2 or 3 guns (instead of all 4) into your devastator teams: ablative wounds.  If you think you're going to roll everyone with BA using double black and gold Vanguard detachments...I think you're in for a rude awakening.  This codex may very well be the best "combined arms" Space Marine codex...and I love it for that, since that's exactly how I want to play.  

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum