Help Building an Army for a New RG Player.

Rommel44

Hey mates. Have decided to go with the good old RG as my army and as it stands, I currently have already ordered my first set of models. Plan to utilize them in both 30K and 40K, so I ordered the following from FW:

* 15x Dark Fury Assault Marines

* 30x Corvus Marines

* RG MK IV Upgrades

* Raven Guard Shadow Captain Korvydae

Current plan is to either kit bash one of the Dark Fury Assault Marines with FW and 40k bits (from the RG Deathwatch model), or use them and the Korvydae model to create my Shrike at this time. However what are your thoughts of me utilizing Corax's model as Shrike?

Other than that, the only real units for my Army I have set are Shrike and a squad of 10x Vanguard Vets with Dual-LC, so I am still bit unsure where to go with the rest of my army as the rest the stuff I got was mailing to fill the Free Shipping requirements. Appreciate all the help I can get, and I'm basically looking for advice on what's a good Army to build around Shrike and some Dual-LC Vanguard Vet's.

A Burning of Prospero box might come in useful for Line Astartes and Tartaros Terminators.

By Striking from the Shadows with terminators and vanguard + Shrike, you create 2 high value targets.

I would also look at vehicles, either Contemptor Dreadnought, or some of the Forge World vehicles like the Vindicator laser destroyer for awesome AT value.

^ Considered it. But I opted to go this route as that box set comes with Mark III SM models and the Corvus ones, the MK VI, are actually what the RG fielded in the HH and they look great on the table-top. Other then that, Terminators could be an option but I'm still debating as I have strongly considered a total of 2x to 3x Vanguard Vet Squads w/Dual LC's to keep to the RG fluff.

That's fair.

The reason I suggested the Tartaros ate because they are the fastest of the Terminators, can access a reaper autocannon, and have claw armed guys in the same squad.

My RG are set very fluidly in the timeline, making use of B@C and BoP models, as well as MK VI.

However, don't get bogged down in "Jump Packs and Lightning Claws" there is much more to us than just that.

Standard assaults with line Astartes can represent feints, the use of heavy vehicles to crack a hole open for infantry. That sort of thing as well.

Hey mates. Have decided to go with the good old RG as my army and as it stands, I currently have already ordered my first set of models. Plan to utilize them in both 30K and 40K, so I ordered the following from FW:

* 15x Dark Fury Assault Marines

* 30x Corvus Marines

* RG MK IV Upgrades

* Raven Guard Shadow Captain Korvydae

Current plan is to either kit bash one of the Dark Fury Assault Marines with FW and 40k bits (from the RG Deathwatch model), or use them and the Korvydae model to create my Shrike at this time. However what are your thoughts of me utilizing Corax's model as Shrike?

Other than that, the only real units for my Army I have set are Shrike and a squad of 10x Vanguard Vets with Dual-LC, so I am still bit unsure where to go with the rest of my army as the rest the stuff I got was mailing to fill the Free Shipping requirements. Appreciate all the help I can get, and I'm basically looking for advice on what's a good Army to build around Shrike and some Dual-LC Vanguard Vet's.

Corax is way too big to be used as Shrike. The guy he's shooting on the scenic base is a good comparison. Awesome model, but he's not a lot smaller than 40k Guilliman. If his eventual 40k model sucks I plan on using Corax as, well, Corax. 

I have a kitbashed Korvydae that I could use as Shrike in a pinch, but I opted to use parts of the Deathwatch guy (his name is Edryc Setorax) along with some upgrade bits from FW and a pair of Vanguard legs. If you want to kitbash him accurately, note that his armor is a mix of different marks. 

Devastators are a must. You need some anti-tank in your army. Most go with lascannons, but I've had good luck adding a couple missile launchers in. 

If you want to stick with 30k usable stuff, the RG Contemptor is cool, and the Fire Raptor is awesome. 

The only Primaris models I'm really interested in are Aggressors. You could pick some of them up to use in 40k games with Strike From The Shadows to unload up to 144 bolter shots into some poor unit, with a guaranteed 84 (they can fire twice if they don't move). 

Some sort of armor wouldn't hurt. I've heard the Sicaran is nice. And Leviathan dreadnoughts are pretty popular. 

Definitely get some Scouts. But if you're okay with them all being sniper Scouts you could use Mor Deythen as a counts-as and most people would accept it I would think. 

Are you not wanting to invest in Primaris?

Not at this time. Current plan is to focus on FW models to be able to field both a 30k and a 40k army so I can double dip in both games. However I am open to getting some Primaris Marines in the future and if I do get any, it will most likely be a few Squads of Intercessors and Aggressors.

Welcome to the Ravenspire ! :)

Love the fluffy army idea, and you picked some awesome models !

So, to make your army as viable as possible (and usable in 30k) here are the suggestions :

- Devastators/Heavy Support Squads

- Landspeeders (Typhoons, so you can use Javelins)

There are many options you can go for, but based on what you have collected already, these two options seem the most viable to me!

In 8th edition, you will want to use your Vanguard squads as carrion to bring a decisive action where it counts. It is unlikely to happen first turn, so you will want to keep them in reserve, but in the meantime create opportunities with your other units.

Your tactical squads can be used to bait the enemy into position by placing them early on and bait the enemy in revealing his counters.

Once it is done, you can deploy your heavy weapons to counter his counters, or to put pressure on isolated parts of the board.

In this regard, you can have Tacticals with no weapons except the classic bolt guns, as they are mainly there to set your line up for your carry units and bigger firepower.

You can be very aggressive with the deployment, with Strike from the Shadows to infiltrate a bigger squad forward as bait for example.

Alternatively, if you want your Tactical squads to have a more proactive/pressure role, you will want to have units that you deploy early on as 'scouts'.

Landspeeder Typhoons do an excellent job at this!

They have a small profile so you don't need an insane amount of cover to reduce incoming shots.

They are super speedy and maneuverable , so you can retreat for a couple of turns once the recon job is done.

They are correct Fire Support with their missile launchers and the long range means that they can avoid being in the thick of things!

This build requires you to have Tacticals that are a bit more geared. In this play style, you basically play on a more attrition mechanics, where you use your Tacticals' special/Heavy to put shots while being protected by several layers of regular dudes.

In both instances, you will want to deploy your Vanguards (and maybe Shrike) last, either through Deep Strike if you need to wait a couple of turns, Strike from the Shadows for offense turn 1 if you have the opportunity, or on the board if you want to have a counter assault/charge deterrent on the board very early on