(Catachan) Special Characters

lash144

A screen is just a barrier of either infantry or other things that goes between your tank and the enemy to try and preserve your tanks. It doesn't necessarily work as well when facing ranged weapons but it is particularly helpful in close combat because it reduces the likelihood of enemy troops being able to get into close combat with your tanks.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean when talking about screening.

Can scratch built regiments even use special characters? I only build lists as Catachan but im planning to build my own guard out of the new Orlocks when they are released

No they can't. I don't remember where I read it, it might have been in a codex or it might have been in one of the many FAQs, but I'm pretty sure I read that if you were playing an Ultramarines successor chapter for example, you couldn't take Tigurius by giving him another name and some customized fluff. Tigurius has to be Tigurius and he must have the Ultramarines keyword. I don't see why it would be any different for any other codex army. So far Tyranids are the only exception to that as an entire army, and as far as I'm aware Yarrick is the only character in the game who doesn't have a sub-faction keyword attached to him. Unless CA has changed things, none of the Index armies have sub-factions yet, so they can still take their named characters freely for now.

Edited by Imperator Deus

As long as you use everything as catachan or UM and do not dip into other regiments your models and "name" can be whatever you want and you can use those special characters. The rules are what matters, not the names. I am planning on an Elysian model type for both the heavy bolter dude and Marbo for my catachan elysians(basically the ground forces of Elysia). No one officially cares what you call your army and how you paint or model it(within reason).

What you cant do is run say Grimaldus and/or Tigerious and claim its iron hands or Raven guard using those rules. Or Run Creed and use Elysian rules. But running a red Tigerious and fielding the army as Angels Redundant using the UM rules is just fine.

I believe we've already had this discussion multiple times.

In summary it goes:

Yes you can, no you can't. Check with your opponent or TO.

Personally I agree with Galron.

Unless there's anything else specifically you need to address I think we're done on that particular point.

Edited by duz_