Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thinking about a non-power armor army.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,611 posts
  • Chapter Name: Custodes Advance Force
I've been considering a few non power armor armies recently. This is because I want to wait to see how the Primaris range expands, and have my fingers crossed for the World Eaters getting a DG style release.

In the mean time, I really need to start a army and begin playing some 8th edition. I have narrowed it down to Imperial Guard or Adeptus Mechanicus. I like the guard because the Leman Russ is an awesome model, but I'm told they aren't very good this edition? I also like most of the admech models, like the robots, rangers, and dunecrawler, but don't know much about how they play. I like semi-mobile gunlines, moving purely to focus fire and hold objectives. What is your recommendations, both on which army fits my style more and what to pick up to start. I want to start small so that I don't get box overload. Thanks for any help you can give!

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,565 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

I personally love Ad Mech. My son plays them (mainly Skitarii) and they're pretty intimidating at range, but much like Tau they mostly fall apart in CC. With the addition of Cult Mechanicus, I'm sure they're even better than before and from what I hear, the new FW 40K book will give them access to the 30K tanks.

• Warpmiss likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here

DuskRaider's 40K Death Guard: A Return to the Past

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

A.T.

A.T.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 761 posts

I like the guard because the Leman Russ is an awesome model, but I'm told they aren't very good this edition?

They were not very good in the index.

In the codex however they received significant boosts (like shooting twice) and are now much better.

Pentharian

Pentharian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 263 posts
The Leman Russ is an awesome rock box. Plenty of boom boom for your vroom vroom. Guard is very viable! Does well in a lot of areas. Does well if you want to ignore Forge World, does well if you want to include Forge World. Watch out for the spiders. No CHOOM!

AdMech equally awesome! Cooler models, in my opinion, and all the CHOOM! your heart could desire. I second the comparison to Tau, though - there's a few dedicated melee units but overall the idea is to out-CHOOM! your opponent. Nice gimmicks. Very fluffy while still being solid. Some of the FW models also look pretty awesome - but I know nothing about the rules for FW on this one. Also, CHOOM!

Between the two? I'd suggest AdMech. Because models. Also, CHOOM!
  • DanPesci likes this

eclipse.png

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,808 posts

AdMech equally awesome! Cooler models, in my opinion, and all the CHOOM! your heart could desire. 

Id always thought choom referred to volkite weapons?? (i may be totally wrong here thoug haha) Unfortunately 40k admech currently only have 1 unit (the techpriest) who has access to volkite weaponry.

Hopefully we'll see the forgeworld book drop and change this though smile.png (although you know what them inquisitors say about hope).

Still, admech have some lovely guns :)

I love my admech. I started on them last year after getting a bit bored with painting power armour.

The models are excellent (bar the electropriests for me, but thats more personal taste), and although their most competitive build is arguably the cawl gunline, they have enough forgeworld  variations (basically admechs version of chapter tactics) to allow other builds than this. I don't use cawl/Mars at all and have managed Ok in the games of 8th ive played so far.

Edited by DanPesci, 07 December 2017 - 01:28 PM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

Shockmaster

Shockmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard

If you don't plan to play in a GW store or official event then my vote would go to the Imperial Guard purely for the variety on offer from other companies, as seems now you can buy an IG army to fit any theme/appearance you desire if you look around online.

HCMistborn

HCMistborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,611 posts
  • Chapter Name: Custodes Advance Force
I can only play at a GW for now, due to my location. I like the MT models and even the cadians with a head swap.

I could go the route of GSC with Guard Allies, I don't really know how GSC work though. I was thinking Tallarn for the rules for IG. Most likely Mars for Cult Mech if I do them.

Edited by HCMistborn, 07 December 2017 - 04:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users