Alternatives for screening

lash144

In a pure armored/mech list a trio of scout sentinels should work for area denial from an alpha charge. Like others said they'll always achieve their purpose before the first turn starts, which is why they're so popular. After that you're on your own for protecting yourself from assault. It's not as effective as having infantry as well, but its much fluffier for a mech force.

I just looked on battlescribe then CA pics and saw the Artemia is a lot cheaper then a normal hellhound. Now im considering adding them as a screen/suicide vehicle lol

But it's still 1D6 instead of 2D6 right?

I just looked on battlescribe then CA pics and saw the Artemia is a lot cheaper then a normal hellhound. Now im considering adding them as a screen/suicide vehicle lol

But it's still 1D6 instead of 2D6 right?

Yes 1D6 but also explodes on a 4+ for D6 MW instead of D3. Something else was different too. I dont remember...different ap or dmg

It's actually better than that. It's 2d6 pick the highest, which originally made it a no-brainer choice compared to the index Hellhound.

Now, it is a viable competitor due to the points decrese. And it tends to perform quite well even as non-Catachan.

81 with heavy bolter or 90 with heavy flamer. 16" turret 2d6 pick highest str 6, -1 a, 2 damage. Lovely gun, plus 4+ explode for d6 mortal wounds.

It is 20 points cheaper for 1d6 less shots (but at 1 damage) and d6 mortal wounds on explosion vs d3 (can be bad and good)

It's actually better than that. It's 2d6 pick the highest, which originally made it a no-brainer choice compared to the index Hellhound.

Now, it is a viable competitor due to the points decrese. And it tends to perform quite well even as non-Catachan.

Yeah I roll pure Catachan. It sounds like it will make a good distraction or assault vehicle. If it blows up its a 50/50 chance for D6 MW so thats a threat deterrent right there

Lascannons on sentinals draw fire, which is very good. I highly recommend them. If they are blasting them they're not focusing on the more important things. If they're ignored, it's a 10 point lascannon blasting away.

Only in the Guard can Commanders gleefully talk about getting troops killed for optimized engagements.

Bad side of Scout Sentinels is that their Scout move could come after Alpha Legion infiltration stratagem. They both happen before the first turn, and you have to roll a dice to see who goes first. 

Infiltrators that are set up in deployment, such as SM scouts, are much better. Too bad we don't have anything that can do it.

Infantry squads are great regardless, the screen is just a massive bonus. I ran 4 last game (and wish I'd taken more) and they did their job brilliantly. Of course they were all eaten by Tyranids but that's what they do best.

However next game I'm running Scout Sentinels. Feral is right, even if they die (and they WILL die) pushing deep striking units back even a few inches can be huge. I let a Trygon and 2 units of Genestealers get into my line last game and it was carnage from then on. Only won the game because the comet came down in the one place I had some units left! Very poor deployment from me but having 3 Scouts Sentinels (Hello Brigade detachment!) would have been so so useful.

Marine Scouts might be worth a look. I have some for my Imperial Fists I haven't used yet but I think they might make a useful screen hiding in cover in front of your lines? Not guard of course so already a poor choice!

Edited by NatBrannigan

Marine scouts are wonderful. I suggest you try them at least. Just plop them somewhere midfield and watch deepstrikers despair. Some care needs to be taken against things that can activate twice to fight like Berzerkers, as even if they kill the scouts on the first go they can still activate again and move 6" towards your line with pile in and consolidation.

They will die of course but they will buy you some time to shoot.

My alternative for screening, don't have one. I use 1 to 3 sentinels with heavy flamers for my DS denial and objective grabbing but that's it. Take the fight to the opponent and you don't have to worry about it. Do it with IG and I used to do it with Tau, if you don't fight the way your opponent expects you to fight it gives you a massive advantage. So as IG everyone expects a gun line, so don't have a gunline. There, problem solved with a lot of points spared.

My alternative for screening, don't have one. I use 1 to 3 sentinels with heavy flamers for my DS denial and objective grabbing but that's it. Take the fight to the opponent and you don't have to worry about it. Do it with IG and I used to do it with Tau, if you don't fight the way your opponent expects you to fight it gives you a massive advantage. So as IG everyone expects a gun line, so don't have a gunline. There, problem solved with a lot of points spared.

I´m playing a fully mechanised aggressive force and not a gunline. But I really dunno how driving up close would help me against CC armies ;-) 

I´m playing a fully mechanised aggressive force and not a gunline. But I really dunno how driving up close would help me against CC armies ;-)

Hellhounds, Flammer Chimeras, and Grav Orges.

At some point the competitive elements of this game are going to force me away from a gunline, I’ve been trying to enjoy it as much as possible until GW makes me wait another twenty years. But at some point I’ll go mechanized again and it will be all of the above welcoming the under 24” range band.

Still need to assemble some Punisher Russes.

This thing sounds like fun! I'd love to get a few. Anyone have suggestions that aren't $72 a piece??? lol

Edited by Gibbous

I converted mine to look different to normal hellhounds. Cut the chimera into a different shape with a predator turret on time with admech kastellan robot flamers on it. Looks pretty cool

What do you mean by grav ogres? Dropping in ogryns from valks?

What are you screening? If you have nothing valuable enough an opponent is going to drop or charge in on, you once again have no need to screen. Having nothing valuable is once again a viable strategy. You seem to be really stuck on this screen concept without telling us what you are screening. Edited by Galron

What are you screening? If you have nothing valuable enough an opponent is going to drop or charge in on, you once again have no need to screen. Having nothing valuable is once again a viable strategy. You seem to be really stuck on this screen concept without telling us what you are screening.

I'm actually really a little bit stuck on it :D that's cause I haven't played against melee armies yet and I'm gonna play against nids next week. And all I read on the Internet is "you need screen this edition, this edition is all about alpha strike bla bla".

Since you ask what I'm intending to screen: my vehicles and I wanna bring a lot of them, namely:

- several russes

- Hellhounds

- 2-3 onager dunecrawler

- maybe taurox primes

Anything you want shooting, you need to screen and screen well. It took me ages to keep my tanks out of combat, I always got caught out by piling in units not charging my tanks directly (for deadly Mordian overwatch) but still tying them In combat. With Infantry you can fall back and then "get back in the fight" so anyone whose left alive can still fire.

If you just run loads of cheap units then you don't need to screen but not many people do that really. Even then you might want cheaper Infantry squads screening the ones with special and heavy weapons. If you just run un-upgraded infantry squads then you don't need a screen but I think that's what they make you play In hell...