Alternatives for screening

lash144

In my mech army I have my infantry all in HF chimeras moving along the flanks while in theory the tanks are in the center with the artillery behind them. Usually this keeps my opponents focused on the center giving my chimeras a chance to get around. They work in pairs in order to get in 4 heavy flamers a pair which tend to fry things fairly well. If the opponent goes after the chimeras then generally they leave themselves open for all the LRs and artillery to pound on them. Its all about choices I guess. Like I said about the only thing I do screening wise is maybe a pair of sentinels with heavy flamers to push out the DS bubble a bit and a single highly camo'd Cyclops(they get constantly overlooked) which hides until needed. Nothing really blocks for my tanks which simply draws them in. I do push my tanks forward a bit especially if I have a good hiding place for the clops and then fall back as they get assaulted so the opponent runs past or close enough to the clops for a good ambush.

Anything you want shooting, you need to screen and screen well. It took me ages to keep my tanks out of combat, I always got caught out by piling in units not charging my tanks directly (for deadly Mordian overwatch) but still tying them In combat. With Infantry you can fall back and then "get back in the fight" so anyone whose left alive can still fire.

If you just run loads of cheap units then you don't need to screen but not many people do that really. Even then you might want cheaper Infantry squads screening the ones with special and heavy weapons. If you just run un-upgraded infantry squads then you don't need a screen but I think that's what they make you play In hell...

How many Squads are you using then?

In my mech army I have my infantry all in HF chimeras moving along the flanks while in theory the tanks are in the center with the artillery behind them. Usually this keeps my opponents focused on the center giving my chimeras a chance to get around. They work in pairs in order to get in 4 heavy flamers a pair which tend to fry things fairly well. If the opponent goes after the chimeras then generally they leave themselves open for all the LRs and artillery to pound on them. Its all about choices I guess. Like I said about the only thing I do screening wise is maybe a pair of sentinels with heavy flamers to push out the DS bubble a bit and a single highly camo'd Cyclops(they get constantly overlooked) which hides until needed. Nothing really blocks for my tanks which simply draws them in. I do push my tanks forward a bit especially if I have a good hiding place for the clops and then fall back as they get assaulted so the opponent runs past or close enough to the clops for a good ambush.

Okay that sounds cool :) I guess I have to try this version and a version with a "classic" screen and see which fits better to my needs!

I used 4 Infantry squads and 2 Vet Squads last game.

Next game I'll either want maybe 6 Infantry squads or the same and some Scout sentinels to hopefully give me another turn of shooting. A thin red line across most of the board to keep people away from the big guns and take out at least some the opponents infantry. Those lasguns are great assuming the survive long enough to shoot for a while...

Just need to make sure you don't leave another room for deep strike units to get in behind you. I'm struggling slightly securing objectives on the other side of the board. Scions seem wasted doing this and last game I used my vet squads (in transports) but that was a waste really. Rough Riders are a decent shout. They pop up turn three and secure those objectives, hopefully...

Anywho, I can't see me ever winning without enough screening infantry units so that's what I'll keep doing for now. the fact that I love Mordian (well, Praetorian) Infantry squads is a bonus.

I am using Raven Guard because that's what my marine army is. The -1 to hit is handy. Makes even 5 guys a bit difficult to remove.

Yeah I might have to try it.

Don't mean to detract to much from AM (the space marine forums a mess with all the chapters seperate) but what chapter/armament are you using. New BA scouts could be decent.