Infiltrators Everywhere!

Frostglaive

Went to my local gamer store last night. Was planning on picking up a box of Murderbo-, I mean Kastellans, so I could finally have 4 with fists and 4 with guns. Yeah, that didn't happen. I ended up buying 3 boxes of Sicarians instead. Why? Because I came up with a (most definitely not) wonderful and totally original idea!

You see, I've been wanting to play my cogboys a little differently as of late. Got tired of just running a standard gunline. It's repetitive, doesn't work for objective-grabbing games, and me bringing 6 Murderb-, Kastellans is starting to irritate my opponents (I regret nothing by the way). I want to play more aggressively, get in the face of my opponent and poke it with a taser goad 2 or 27 times.

Normally my lists consist of 1500-2500pts. 9/10 times it's a Battalion and a Spearhead detachment. Load all my heavies into the Spearhead, then fill out the battalion with whatever else I need. But now I'm thinking swap out that Spearhead with a Vanguard. A Vanguard with 4 squads of Sicarians popping up all over the table to wreak havoc and mayhem (or just to annoy the crap out of whoever I'm fighting). Why? Because shenanigans. And tasers.

tl;dr I have 4 squads of Sicarian Infiltrators armed with taser goads. How viable is this in a game? And what are your guys' thoughts?

Agreed, they're pretty strong as Mars.  Ryza is also a solid option since you'll get them to wound more consistently in melee and it stacks well with Canticles.  Stygies VIII remains popular for obvious reasons, though really any Dogma can work since Sicarians are Skitarii and can therefore benefit from several useful Strategems.

I like the idea of this, Im playing either stygies or metallica so theyd go nicely in the fairly slow metallica list to grab objectives, or for stygies having them infiltrate in alongside some horrible CC kastellans who are using the stygies strategem will be pretty nasty.

P.S. what are peoples thoughts on loadout?

The power sword option looks nice but im thinking keeping them cheap with stubcarbines and taser goads is better and just hope they get lots of exploding hits in combat.

Edited by DanPesci

The rule of thumb used to be goad's and blaster vs hordes and, stubbers and swords for marines  ... but I've found the power sword and stub-carbines loadout is a bit of a trap, especially since the model lost an attack. I'll use my fave lazy dice tool to simulate it a few times 

So against marines @ 19 attacks hitting on 3+ wounding on 3+ no ap on save  averages out  around  3-4 dead  marines
                                @ 19 attacks hitting on 3+ wounding on 4+  -3ap on the saves  is averaging out at  5-6  dead  marines

But this is before you start factoring in the exploding 6's from taser goads  My averaging seems to give you about  3-4 sixes per 19 
hit rolls with a chance of much more with re-rolls stratgems etc.

25 attacks 19 hitting and wounding on 3+'s  (+ 6 extra from the 6's )  gives around 6-7 unsaved wounds .

Both guns sound good on paper but the fact that you can mix and match the weapons and the fact that I prefer the goad in combat, however, blasters and goads synergises far batter with things like the wrath of Mars and with the stratagem that adds +'s to hit in our rolls of 6 in combat. 

Edited by synthaside

Yeah this is a fun thing to do if a little CP heavy... Wrath of Mars on the 50 shots, maybe with protector Doctrina to hit on 2s... then charge and use the taser goads with the Conqueror Doctrina giving 3 hits for every 5 or 6. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm loving infiltrators right now. My regular opponents tend to have weak saves anyway so I've never really had to consider swords over goads. I wouldn't call the swords a trap so much as simply less efficient. My dice hate me sometimes so I've seen the goads lose a whole turn of attacks to armor saves, haha. So the swords aren't worthless, though I do think statistically the goads are going to do more.