Disappointed

dtse

Gotta say guys. Pretty disappointed with the codex. FYI it’s all out on YouTube now if you watch one of the big Uk channels

Only improvement really is that you can have 3 damage plasma. With a 3 point reduction MAYBE this makes a big 10 man unit of black knights threatening enough to be worth it. Along with a 4+ invuln on jink and strategem allowing advance and shoot and charge it might be worth it.

I think Azrael gunline took a nerf with his invuln no longer affecting vehicles. And I think you replace lascannons with plasma now for possible 3 damage. Maybe investing in the banner like normal space marines.

Deathwing still sucks. They got nothing. No deathwing specific rule except auto pass morale (useless most of he time with rerolls anyway and 5 man squads) and bonus against Fallen. Whoppdeedooo. Sorry deathwing players. Your models still suck. Double shoot on strike is good but 2CP? Not worth it. Have fun killing guardsmen or cultists that regenerate.

Overall, blood angels definitely got a better codex with lots of powerful abilities and strategems that emphasize the close combat nature of their faction. We just got some stronger plasma. I still think Azrael gunline is the strongest, probably bring 3 fire raptors since they are cheaper now. Guard battalion for CP, Azrael plasma gunline, and 3 fire raptors.

Ravenwing are a little better. Black knights borderline good. I’ll probably try my pure ravenwing list it again with black knights and fire raptors.

Yup, this codex has some interesting ideas and combos, but it's all either too expensive to do, or only works for 1 unit due to relying on strats.

BKs at 46 (or was it 47?) still feels terrible. They still cry against autocannon equivalents due to Jink not helping them survive high RoF D2 guns. The Land Speeder Vengeance is still absolutely terrible. 

And Deathwing makes me sad.

Overall, I'm still definitely going to  be leaning on FW in some manner. Fire Raptors, Sicarians, Deredeos, and Leviathans will very much still be seeing the field. I'll just be supplementing them with certain combos of DA units to maximize strats.

Edited by Brother-Captain Sharp

Did we get ANY stratagems for the Deathwing?

Yes. 2/3CP. Use when unit arrives via teleport. It can immediately shoot and doesn't prevent it shooting again in the shooting phase. Costs 2CP of 5 or under models, 3CP of over 5 models.

And the Fortress of Shields + Inner Circle ones which you knew about from the Warhammer Community articles.

Did we get ANY stratagems for the Deathwing?

Yes. 2/3CP. Use when unit arrives via teleport. It can immediately shoot and doesn't prevent it shooting again in the shooting phase. Costs 2CP of 5 or under models, 3CP of over 5 models.

And the Fortress of Shields + Inner Circle ones which you knew about from the Warhammer Community articles.

Ok, that is expensive, but pretty good though.

The whole codex feels rushed and half-assed.  There's barely any unique DA strategems that are worth it, and most things are just copy-paste from the SM codex with little thought on what or if it fits with DA.

One of the warlord traits for example gives an autopass moral tests bubble...on DA.  Deathwing already have that as their core rule so its useless there, and normal DA have know no fear already (for reroll) and grim resolve on-top of that now so can lose a single model at most.  So it's just laughable bad in the best case scenario compared to others.

The whole book is full of stuff like this unfortunately.  I think I can count on one hand the number of things that seem solid or have me excited about playing with this new codex now.  Really unfortunate :(

The whole codex feels rushed and half-assed.  There's barely any unique DA strategems that are worth it, and most things are just copy-paste from the SM codex with little thought on what or if it fits with DA.

One of the warlord traits for example gives an autopass moral tests bubble...on DA.  Deathwing already have that as their core rule so its useless there, and normal DA have know no fear already (for reroll) and grim resolve on-top of that now so can lose a single model at most.  So it's just laughable bad in the best case scenario compared to others.

The whole book is full of stuff like this unfortunately.  I think I can count on one hand the number of things that seem solid or have me excited about playing with this new codex now.  Really unfortunate :(

Ok, that is actually the most stupid thing I'ce seen ruleswise in this edition... did they even double check these ideas? Are we sure they werent writting an IG stratagem and it got mixed into our codwx by mistake?

How about the "Inner Circle" Stratagem that lets you give the DEATHWING keyword and Inner Circle ability (autopass morale) to a Company Master, Dreadnought or Land Raider.  Think about how stupid this is.   Auto passing morale on any of those units is 100 percent useless, and is just laughable to think about needing on a Land Raider.  If you spend the CP to use this and have also brought a Deathwing Ancient you can potentially have them get one extra attack in melee (again lol??? on the Land Raider), but why not just take a Deathwing HQ to begin with when building your list?  There are no other really beneficial stratagems that are linked to the DEATHWING keyword that would help any of these units that much either.  It just feels like adding something that should be an option on unit entries with having to now pay a CP, but with no actual in-game benefit.

How about the "Fury of the Ancients" strat that is copy-paste from the SM codex.  1 cp to give a reroll hits of 1 bubble to a dreadnaught for a turn, usually employed so a Dread can sit babysitting in the backfield and buff other firebase units, despite the fact that Grim Resolve as our main chapter trait basically does this already??  I know they playtested this but it sure doesn't feel like it.

The more I look at the codex options the more disheartened I am to play DA now outside of Ravenwing.  This thing feels almost DOA.

Edited by Loar

Yup, wise old GeeDub fails at a legendary level yet again.

It gives us a good reason to purchase next years Chapter Approved... ;)

+++I feel all the doubt towards the competency of GW's rule writing ability; BUT BE CONSTRUCTIVE, that's the BnC rules+++

Carry on

Not sure why everyone is surprised, it’s DA. It’s traditional for them to be the worst Marine codex. ;)

I’m sure it won’t be long before people find good combos. And GW will probably FAQ it within a month anyway.

Little sick of Ravenwing getting buffed and Deathwing getting nerfed. If I wanted to play with bikes, I’d play Scars.

Anyway, I’ll continue sitting here, waiting for Angelus. 30K - The last great hope for a decent DA army!

Edited by Corswain

I felt bad. But I am still trying to find something good...

I am thinking to give Shroud of Heroes my Land Raider Excelsior. So it will be -2 to hit when it next to a darkshroud...:rolleyes:

That's actually pretty hilarious, I double-checked and it totally works.

I would suggest going to GW's facebook page and politely and constructively mentioning the dissatisfaction DA players are having with the phoned-in nature of this codex release.  New GW at least is making a better effort to communicate with their player base and perhaps the social media team can mention the less-than-lukewarm reception this release is getting compared to others.  If enough people complain it will get noticed, as long as they are respectful in doing it.

I would suggest going to GW's facebook page and politely and constructively mentioning the dissatisfaction DA players are having with the phoned-in nature of this codex release.  New GW at least is making a better effort to communicate with their player base and perhaps the social media team can mention the less-than-lukewarm reception this release is getting compared to others.  If enough people complain it will get noticed, as long as they are respectful in doing it.

But new codex's problem cannot easily solved by FAQ or point change. We just have too many useless rules/stratagems... Which means even Chapter Approved 2018 will not help. I am waiting for next DA codex or 9ed.... 

Two things I am really bummed about.

The first is the absence of Sacred Standards.

The second is the removal of any synergy between Deathwing and Ravenwing, which used to make our gameplay very characteristic.

Deathwing in particular seems less and less special with every new iteration. 

We basically went from "the green guys take objectives, while the Ravenwing rushes towards strategic points to facilitate the Deathwing's assault" to "I sit back and overcharge my plasma", which doesn't sound like an improvement.

Sorry for the rant guys.

EDIT: still preordered 15 minutes after it went online. Geneseed's thicker than water.

Edited by The_Bloody

Maybe it has been mentioned or its nothing new but chapter ancient has sacred banner. If your model dies and gets up to shoot one last time, it shoots with BS 2+. And for some reason WS 2+ is mentioned. Maybe Dark Angel banner lets people get up in the fight phase too? Somebody enlighten me.

Deathwing assault could be quiet a useful staragem for clearing screening units as from the look of it its done when the models are set up from deepstrike.

So deepstrike terminators plus belial if you want rerolls. Use staragem to fire remove the screening unit. Then you (hopefully) can set up your knights even closer to the enemies valuable units for the charge.

Or did I hear it wrong?

Seen a lot of people all ready moaning about the codex, while I don't fully disagree with what they are saying, I'm instead trying to find out fun little synigies we can try to use to get the most out of what we have been given.

Captain