Astartes & The Stormlord

The Ironic Warrior

So debating getting myself one of these majestic tanks to fill it up with tasty things like Fulmentarus terminators and forge lords as well as a tank commander from my SA allies (do it has BS4, Command Tank and most likely scout or PE infantry); does anyone have any experience using these things?

That's a good combo but also a very expensive one. Once the stormlord dies so does basically all the Fulmentarus. And that's a big chunk of your army gone. Yes the stormlord is a super-heavy but at least in my local meta, there's a lot of lists that can probably kill a super-heavy in one turn if they want.

That's the balance I am worrying about; it's a lot of points (the Stormlord isn't that cheap) and you want to maximise the points, so by putting a good unit in it you are doing that. The only thing I can think of is throw in some Techmarines with servo arms to help as each get's a repair roll of 4+ along with the Forge Lord and just fully commit to protecting the Stormlord best you can.

I can't remember though, can a superheavy move 12" and the guys inside still shoot normally? I cannot remember for the life of me...

Another Option would be using TSS or HSS Squads to fill the insides instead of hyper-expensive Terminators who's defensive capabilites wont be used whilst inside the Tank.

It also gives you a wider array of weapons to choose from such as: Flamers, Plasma Guns, Melta Guns, Volkite Chargers/Calivers/Culverins, Multimeltas, Lascannons, Plasma Cannons, Missile Launchers, Heavy Bolters and Heavy Flamers.

Being Non-Bulky, it also means you can shove double the bodies in you would normally be able to vs Terminators.

Another idea is to go World Eaters and fill the thing with Tacticals and Apothecaries. Drive the gunbus up and then unload with a ton of disposable bodies that drown their targets in Chain Axe attacks.

I can't remember though, can a superheavy move 12" and the guys inside still shoot normally? I cannot remember for the life of me...

Nope.

Snapshots it is.

That is most unfortunate

The other idea I had was using one with allied SA - and taking a Tank Commander for it. It can't be the compulsory HQ in a primary detachment, so the inference is that it can in an allied force - chuck him in so the SL has BS4 and Scout or something (or PE infantry) as well as Command Tank to save buying it directly 

I don't think you can put a SA Tank Commander into an Astartes Vehicle...

And you can't take an allied LoW, I think?

You can - specifically he must be attached to a tank in the army (Then gives a list which the Stormlord is in) but it is army, not detachment and because he is not embarked it is still viable with the sworn brothers limitation.

This just gives access to more useful rules for the Stormlord, some Tercio goodness and outflanking Russes which are really fun

Yeah... You’re right according to RAW, but it’s a bit of a loophole, isn’t it? :P

Biggest problem with the Stormlord is its schizophrenic nature. If it doesn’t move, then it can fire twice. But it has a transport capacity and the Assault Vehicle rule, so you want to move up and unload combat troops (negating its shooting buff). Slips is on the money suggesting HSS or TSS squads - they’re cheap enough to still be effective.

The Stormhammer, however, is a very interesting choice. So much firepower... :)

• 6 months later...

Bit of a threadomancy but I find it most useful as a horde delivery system, load it up with 2 (19/18-strong) squads of tactical marines (i run mine with additional ccws) and a pair of apothecaries and a chaplain, don't bother with the sponsons because BS4 Vulcan + 3 Heavy bolters is good enough and just Jam it down where the opponent does ABSOLUTELY NOT want 120 attacks (half with reroll to hit). Though at around 1200 points it makes up a good chunk of your army. then sit tight, pivot on the spot and just churn out vulcan-fire for the rest of the game. ;)

I guess alot of armies would do better with this tactic than my XIXth legionaires; Dark Angels (WS5) Blood Angels (oh dear) Worldeaters (holy hell) but I suspect Night Lord Reaver squads would be an absolute Horror to face with this constellation (+1 to hit, wound, reroll to hit in the first round AND Fearless?!)  the only thing comming close to that would be WE Inductarii.

Also, if you are a bit mad like me you can convert it to better fit the Legiones Astartes look:

768379_md-Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Stormlord%

Archived