New Codex fluff - Blood Angels still making normal Marines

Robbienw

Fair enough. I assumed you meant actual fresh recruits who got turned into dreadnoughts.

Sorry Jimmy, I know you wanted to become a Marine, but we've run out of power armour to give you, it's all in for repairs after that whole "Siege of Terra" issue. There's good news though, you know how that awesome Terminator Armour that everyone loves is also called Tactical Dreadnought Armour? Well, we've got some of the less Tactical version for you. This won't hurt a bit...

Fair enough. I assumed you meant actual fresh recruits who got turned into dreadnoughts.

Sorry Jimmy, I know you wanted to become a Marine, but we've run out of power armour to give you, it's all in for repairs after that whole "Siege of Terra" issue. There's good news though, you know how that awesome Terminator Armour that everyone loves is also called Tactical Dreadnought Armour? Well, we've got some of the less Tactical version for you. This won't hurt a bit...

Jimmy of Baal?

Thahell?

Jimmy of Baal?

Thahell?

His full name is Jimiel, but only his parents call him that. 

So after reading the fluff (I have the book now), it does seem to imply that aspirants were put into the scout company and were further bolstering their ranks by Cawl as well as Baal made primaris. The way it is written makes it seem that you either become a scout (destined to be normal marine) or you become a primaris. Just seems really interesting to make that distinction.

If I were to guess, I think the surviving militia (which were supposedly youth/children) were made normal marines while others became primaris. But from this point forward, any new imperials are going to be primaris.

This is based on the fluff on page 23 under "Hope from Horror" if anyone is curious.

Well I think it's logical that they don't make a clean cut. Especially since all their gear is basically holy and whatnot so no Marine would feel good about tossing it aside for some newly never used before gear.

However I still think that eventually all Marines will be made into Primaris. Just not right now.

The geneseed doesn't need any upgrade tho? You could produce Primaris Marines with the regular Blood Angel geneseed just fine. It's the three additional organs that make Primaris Primaris.

It could just be that there is not enough Primaris organs to go around right now so they are making both. Honestly, I don't see why Dante would continue to make the older marines unless he was suspicious of Guilliman. 

There is also the fact that Guilliman is a primarch.. a deity that Dante grew up hearing about and is seeing one in the flesh now. If he was ordered to make Primaris I doubt he would refuse that order. Maybe he makes normal marines as well to have a fallback in case the primaris turn out to be corrupted somehow?

Is it not also that we're dealing with two very different 'generations' of geneseed? That our current / 'normal' marines use primarily recent geneseed, with up to 10,000 years of accumulated mutation and degredation, hence perhaps the higher incidence of the flaw compared to 30k.

And the new primaris, unless I misunderstand, are largely formed from 30k-era geneseed, which is in theory much 'purer' and generations younger, regardless of whether the recipient gets the additional primaris upgrades?

DoB made a point of sending away Baal's geneseed and destroying our existing facilities, though by the codex both are restored. It's unclear if we've had 'additional' supplies of geneseed released from Mars/Terra to supplement this. But if we have ready access to 'clean' geneseed, we'd in theory be creating better marines, regardless of type.

One would assume that any geneseed harvested from a fallen marine would be used to create another of the same kind.

The geneseed doesn't need any upgrade tho? You could produce Primaris Marines with the regular Blood Angel geneseed just fine. It's the three additional organs that make Primaris Primaris.

And those three organs are grown from...additional components of the geneseed. The unanswered question is: can you take the progeniod from a normal Marine and just mix in the extra Primaris stuff, or does it all need to grow together?

The way the progenoid is described, it's used to grow new organs. There's nothing stopping you, it seems, from taking the organs grown from an "original" progenoid, adding in the organs of a Primaris that were grown separately, and making a Primaris marine. It all depends on whether you have access to "spares" for implantation.

The way the progenoid is described, it's used to grow new organs. There's nothing stopping you, it seems, from taking the organs grown from an "original" progenoid, adding in the organs of a Primaris that were grown separately, and making a Primaris marine. It all depends on whether you have access to "spares" for implantation.

I kinda hope we are able to do this, as - I don't know about any other chapters, really - we seem to have a pronounced 'genetic legacy' in that there is a connection between previous 'bearers' of a particular geneseed (unless this has been swept up in the blessed swallow retcon). So to continue that into 'new' primaris marines (ie. not cawl's batch) would be neat.