Bullgryn transport options

Malakithe

If I want to have a larger squad then 3...say 5, plus a priest, and a psyker, are the only options super-heavy transports? 

The CRASSUS ARMOURED ASSAULT TRANSPORT seems to be overkill but would be the cheapest option. No need for a supreme command either since my Catachan tactics wouldnt do it any good.

The next options are one of the 3 baneblades. Doomhammer, Banehammer, Stormlord. Stormlord also seems to be overkill as well.

Thoughts?

For just a 5 Ogryn squad plus support I would say a doom hammer would be the way to go. You're already trying to get close to the enemy, so you might as well take advantage of the magma cannons 2D6 pick the highest ability.

One day though I would personally like to pack a Stormlord with a full squad of Ogryn, Nork, Priest, and some special weapon squads and psyker support. Slap on four heavy flamer sponsons and just roll up the enemies lines. I know it would die immediately, but the carnage that could be done if it made it would be worth it. 

For just a 5 Ogryn squad plus support I would say a doom hammer would be the way to go. You're already trying to get close to the enemy, so you might as well take advantage of the magma cannons 2D6 pick the highest ability.

One day though I would personally like to pack a Stormlord with a full squad of Ogryn, Nork, Priest, and some special weapon squads and psyker support. Slap on four heavy flamer sponsons and just roll up the enemies lines. I know it would die immediately, but the carnage that could be done if it made it would be worth it. 

The problem I have with things like that is that if you go second and you are playing against a shooting army, you are pretty screwed, because it´s not really unreasonable to kill a Stormlord in one turn or at least cripple it so it´s pretty useless as a transport.

Yeah, I completely agree, it is definitely not a practical idea. You would have to tailor the list to have as few drops as possible to have a shot at first turn, so why not more transports with priests and flamer vets, to just go full assault. I know this is an absolutely horrible idea, but the look on your opponents face would be worth it to try just once. The look if it actually worked would be even better.

But as far as the OP goes I do think the Doom Hammer is the way to go. Kit it out for anti-armor, and then have an anti-infantry surprise inside once it gets across the board. The problem is that super-heavies will always draw a lot of fire, especially if they are advancing into short range. But if enough other threats can be put on the board, force the opponent to make some hard decisions about target priority, then I think this could work. It will just take some good deployment and luck to try and avoid as much incoming fire as possible.

I'm looking at a CRASSUS for my 'gryns as well but not sure I want to take the cost hit (£'s or points)...

People have caught on to the fact that if you charge my Infantry you're going to get pulverised by the 8 Bullgryns and priest walking behind them, whatever you are. Now they're getting shot at much more and even with a Primaris helping out they're dying fairly quickly, that makes me sad :(

It's a hell of a model though the Crassus, so I really should just get it.