Combi-weapons

I've looked in the rule book and codexes and can't find anything about combis except that if you want to fire bolter and whatever at the same time it's -1 to hit.  Combis have always been bolter all game and special 1 shot whole game.  Has that changed?  Combi-Plas for example, could I shoot plasma every turn if I wanted to?  Every edition has had the combi special weapon as 1 shot, but I don't see anything about that now.  Kind of like twin linked now being 2 shots instead of 1 shot, re-roll if you miss.

If I'm overlooking something somewhere, I need to know.  To me if you can shoot bolter and or special every turn, that's HUGE!

Couple of quirks to be aware of:

Combi-flamers benefit as the flamer part auto-hits, so you can just add the bolter shots (at -1 to hit) as a bonus extra;

Beware of supercharging plasma if firing the bolter as well: you’ll overheat on to hit rolls of both 1 and 2...

Edited by Plasmablasts

... Every edition has had the combi special weapon as 1 shot, but I don't see anything about that now.  Kind of like twin linked now being 2 shots instead of 1 shot, re-roll if you miss. ...

As a historical note, Combi-weapons only became one hit wonders at the dawn of third edition. In second edition they generally functioned much like they do in eighth, including, if I recall this correctly, the minus one to hit for firing both profiles. Second edition treated twin-linked weapons in a fashion more similar to eighth than third through seventh.

Insightful as it is to note that combi-firing your supercharged combi-plasma at a distant Raven Guard is suicidally dangerous, commentary of this nature rapidly leaves the realm of official rules interpretation and enters into tactica.

Noooooo overcharging plasma for me!  I'm just now starting to bring plasma since it doesn't explode unless overcharged.  Past several years I never touched plasma because it was always a loss for me when I fired.  Kaboom goes my own marine (always failed the save too).

I think I started playing right at the very end of 2nd ed., so I didn't know combi weapons were like what they are now.  Hadn't really given any thought to the auto hit flamer combied with the bolter, thanks for that nasty little idea!:yes:

• 1 month later...