Opinions on how to start a Malice Warband

Terimus

A friend and I have been wanting to start a Sons of Malice/other Malice following army for a little while now. With some paychecks and probably some Christmas money coming up, I'm thinking about finally starting it up.

As for building the army, I have a few ideas about how to get started, depending on the look I want ot go for, and was hoping ot get some ideas and opinions from you all.

Option number one: Dark Imperium box set.

Pros:This would allow me to go for the True Scale look with the force, which is awesome and intimidating. This would give me lots to work with as far as different units and some standard marines and some mutated marines. Different than just the models, I would also be able to get my own rulebook, which would be handy. I could sell off the poxwalkers, drone, and anything too nurgly to convert. As well, I could snag a few intercessors for my regular primaris force

Cons: There would be a lot of conversion and greenstuff work to do here. It would take a lot of time to make this tabletop ready. If I did go this route, I would be modifying and reworking the primaris armor to look like MK IV armor to have the older look to it and differentiate it from the Primaris. This would be really cool, but will take a lot of time and effort.

Option number two: Betrayal at Calth box set.

Pros: Tons of great models and weapon options to work with here. The MK IV armor and Cataphractii terminators look great all the time, so this would be a good place to start. There are enough marine models that I can make some standard marines as well as convert some for special units. As well, contemptor dreadnought, 'nuff said.

Cons: First off, no true scale marines, which is a bit of a downer. My only other concern is that it might be a little too easy, but thats not too big a deal. Really the only problem is the not having true scale stuff.

It seems like Calth would be a bit better choice, but the true scale size and the rulebook are my main points for still wanting to go with Dark Imperium.

I'm still undecided, but what are your thoughts here? Thanks in advance.

I think either or could work but both would need some extra work to get where I think you want them.

Like you said, it will take time to get the Primaris to look like mkIV armor. I have been having a similar thought to yours in using the Primaris to true scale up a marine squad. Plus, if I get the Gal Vorbak from FW they would be closer in size to the primaris which makes me a bit happier.

However, if you go with the Calth Box (and if you get MKIII marines from Prospero) you could truescale them but adding plastic card to the leg joints (I usually see this around the shin). Look at stuff like Brother Heinrich's Night Lords and his Blood Angels. He also upscaled terminators too by adding plasticard between the leg section and the torso then sculpted some green stuff like armor to cover it up. They won't be primaris huge but they will be bigger.

Best of luck to you whichever path you take. Make Malal proud, Brother-Anarchist!

Thanks man, Glad I'm not the only follower of Malal here! Once I get around to working on it, I'll be sure to start posting here. I'm starting to lean more towards the Calth set. I really like the idea of making them taller, I think I'll be doing that.

My friend and I have been working on some homebrew rules for them as well, and one of the squads will be converted into my idea of Brother Invictus and the Doomed ones, which I'm pretty excited about!

It's been quite a few years since I've built something for Malal but you just cannot pass up following the true embodiment of Chaos. I seriously wish they had all these detachments back in 5th when I tried building my Sons of Malice terminator army. Let me move on before nostalgia kicks in...

In regards to the Calth set I'd like to recommend checking out Brother Heinrich and Flint13's joint project: Fury & Zeal. If you follow this log there is a post where BH shows how he extended the legs and what he did to bulk up terminators. Personally, I love how taller they are and compared to some other true-scale projects this one looks like I could actually accomplish it. I am super tempted to try this with a small force for Shadow War or Heralds of Ruin.

Of course, sprinkle on some chaos bits and conversions to taste and you should have some awesome looking Sons of Malice. Looking forward to see this project when it takes off so please drop me a line when you start.

• 2 weeks later...

I second Hushrong's idea and vote BaC. Also learn to paint white and black, arguably two of the hardest colors to get to look right.

I started to laugh and cry after reading this. Mostly because I painted my white over black when I was working on my SoM. Good times. 

For white I started by painting the quartered sections grey. Then I would mix a light grey with a lot of white (I cannot remember names) on a wet palette. What that did was give me a white paint that when applied wouldn't be chalky. Usually two coats over the grey and you were done. For black i just highlighted grey.

I wonder how the paints are now for white. I'd probably prime the minis white and go from there. I am also trying to find a way to paint a better black than just highlighting it with grey.

White is super easy now.

Prime black.

All over coat of chaos black

Paint half with ceramite White. 3 thin coats

Neaten up centre line with black.

If you want more progression:

Undercoat

Chaos black all over

Thin coats of Celeste's grey until solid colour

2 thin coats ulthuan

Highlight with white scar.

I love how Malal/Sons of Malice/Malice always pops up here and there.

Sure they cannot use the Malal fluff but I am happy to see little nods to the fans.

Honestly wished they would come out with a little something more for the Sons of Malice after that short story from a few years back. Worried it will be some time before that happens because with the current rosters of the 13th BC I do not remember seeing SoM anywhere. While in one of the older books it showed them active in their home system of Scelus.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice! I've been working on a few test minis and some concept art as well. For the mini, I've found  a very difficult time working with straight black, so I've opted for a Leadbelcher with a coat or two of Nuln oil. This model is not yet finished being painted, I still need to add more details and highlights. Let me know what you think!

3LIxULE.jpg?1

zuDrTx7.jpg?1

yJzSXxP.jpg?1

conept art

Mf2VRsa.jpg?1

ta20vzX.jpg?1

That is awesome! The blade slave looks awesome in the SoM colors! I knida want to see them and the gal vorbak in the quartered black and white. The art is also great! 

Thanks! The plan is to eventually get a set of gal vorbak for the army, such beautiful models!

First off, great to see a new follower of the truest deity of chaos, there aren't many of us unfortunately... Second, I was going to recommend BaC after reading your first post... Untill I saw the blade slave. And now I'm going to fervently recommend Dark Imperium, not just for the primaria, but also for the death guard, because your scheme looks awesome on more corrupted looking models, and if you think you can greenstuff the nurgly parts of the plague marines and characters, they will look awesome. I actually did something similar for my Malal army and the biggest problem was removing belly plates and spending time in filling corroded parts and dremeling pustules. And I don't think the primaris would need much more work than the mk IV Marines to look chaosy, maybe some modifications of the backpack as the mk X is very different in that way. Additionally, if you sell the poxwalker and drone (though you could use the poxwalker a as cultists), DI should be a much more economical choice, specially since it also comes with the rulebook, which could give you budget for units of your choice. Whatever you choose, I can't wait to see how it turns out, black and white armies are so elegant :P. And please start a thread on the Work in Progress section of the forums when you get to it!

Alright, so I have decided on Going with a mix of the Mk IV and III armors for my main units. I found some great buys on Ebay for pretty cheap, so I have 2 sets of Mk IVs, one set of MK IIIs, Tartaros Terminators, Kurtha Sedd (for Invictus of the Doomed ones), and a set of Gal Vorbak possessed. Most of them should be here in the next two weeks, so I'll get building and start up a post in the WIP forums as soon as I get them! I'm excited everyone! I appreciate all the support!

Thanks! Soooo... I caved and also just ordered the Mhara Gal tainted contemptor dread for my forces as well haha Most of my stuff will be arriving Next Wednesday. IN the mean time, I'll be working on my current models I do have and I'll hopefully get the new thread started soon with what I've got so far.

From the models incoming, I will be using them to make:

-5 man Havoc Squad

-10 man Chaos space marine squad

-5 man Chosen/Fallen squad

-10 man Berserker conversion for the Doomed Ones.

-Brother Invictus (joining the Doomed Ones)

-5 man Terminator squad

-5 man Possessed Squad 

-Daemon Prince (converted from one of the Gal Vorbak, who I will replace in the squad with the Blade Slave model seen above)

-Hellforged Contemptor.

As well, I do have a few models I'm working on right now, doing some fun conversion work, so with those, I will also have an additional:

-Chaos Spined beast (converted from a DnD dragon miniature, the wings of which I will use for my daemon prince)

-Kathel (who is almost finished being built)

-5 man Raptors

-Sorcerer on Disk/jump pack

-Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor

-5 or 6 additional Possessed (from the original GW possessed models with conversions)

-Silas Alec, Red Scorpion assault marine turned Champion of Malal (my character from Rogue trader that brought me into finding Malice in the first place. He's becoming quite powerful, and I've been modifying his original loyalist model to now have some chaos symbols and scrolls and I'll soon be painting him in the Sons of Malice colors).

-undecided, but I may convert a few obliterators out of some old models.

I feel like that will be a pretty solid start to build off! I should have a good mix of units in there. Thoughts?

Edited by Terimus