How to field DW Terminators

Berzul

I've been playing variations on 3 squads in 3 land raiders since 3rd edition (Back then they weren't quite so heavily overcosted and you could play it at 1500 points) and that list still works as well as it ever has.  That is to say I can beat all the casuals at my local GW or club but any tournament list will destroy it.  Lands raiders this edition are made of wet paper so you simply don't have the "Guarantee" of delivering the contents like we used to have.

Terminators in general are just plain bad in 8th too so I think DW will struggle but as always we will stubbornly refuse to stop trying.

Its a shame Belial is still a bit naff. It he made Deathwing squads troops then it would go someway to mitigating his useless warlord trait and the price tag on Deathwing but alas. 

Sadly, those days are gone.  Deathwing as troops or the "Loganwing" of the Space Wolves were my favorite ways to play.  I love Terminators.  But now, troops don't seem to matter as much anymore - and that's good, because there are precious few options to choose from (though those options are all decent choices).

I would just like to be able to play an all-Terminator army effectively and not be hampered by it.

I was more getting at command points than the bonuses of being troops. A death wing formation would have been nice. Belial + 3 DWT squads for 3 command points?

If you are going for 3 thunder hammer and storm shields, you might as well just go with deathwing knights, I think.

Yeah, 3 or 4 in a 10-man squad are good, but if you're going 3 in a 5-man squad, I agree Knights are better.

Yea I guess your right. Sadly I don't own any Knights. Might have to scour eBay for some mace arms and watchers in the dark.

I’ve had quite a few triple LR and DW games and played aggressively they’re not bad. Not top tier but not bad at all.

The new dex will be fun to play with things like Storm Ravens etc. I don’t think that we will be top tier still, but competitive and fun.

If you are going for 3 thunder hammer and storm shields, you might as well just go with deathwing knights, I think.

Yeah, 3 or 4 in a 10-man squad are good, but if you're going 3 in a 5-man squad, I agree Knights are better.

Yea I guess your right. Sadly I don't own any Knights. Might have to scour eBay for some mace arms and watchers in the dark.

To maximise efficiency on the strat for firing twice, the best option may be 10 man combat squad so one squad of 5 has 2 heavy weapons.

This can teleport and fire twice for 2CPs with 2 heavy weapons and 3 SBs.

The other combat squad in this case could be all assault so having 3 TH&SS for the -1 to wound strat seems like an option if it has a Land Raider (If it doesn't, this whole plan ends up being bad TBH).

To maximise efficiency on the strat for firing twice, the best option may be 10 man combat squad so one squad of 5 has 2 heavy weapons.

The other combat squad in this case could be all assault so having 3 TH&SS for the -1 to wound strat seems like an option if it has a Land Raider (If it doesn't, this whole plan ends up being bad TBH).

Dude, I L O V E D this idea!!! Imma have to get me a third storm shield amd sone cyclone missile launchers!!!

Dude, I L O V E D this idea!!! Imma have to get me a third storm shield amd sone cyclone missile launchers!!!

But DWT don't have combat squad special rule....

But DWT don't have combat squad special rule....

I don't have the codex yet but I was led to believe they did.

They do have the combat squad rule in the codex. If you listen to the video that screenshot is taken from he doesn't go through them all but when reading the watcher in the dark rule is says they "don't count towards the number of models for combat squad rule".

So yeah that little trick to get x2 heavy weapons in a 5 man squad would work. Good thinking!

It is after they have been deployed, which means that they combat squad before the stratagem takes place, as they are deployed in two separate units. At least, that is mi interpretation of this

If you are using multiple lands raiders,I think you really want at least one god hammer to give counter fire to things that can kill your land raiders.

Currently I've been toying with a spartan since there doesn't seem to be a specific death wing detachment I have to follow. 8 lascannons puts a solid dent in armor, and if your opponent is bringing infantry based anti tank like devestators, you can teleport in and shoot them to death.

Twin lascannons + twin autocannon dreads look to make good firing platforms with grim resolve too.

A spartan, a crusader, a dread, and 20 terminators is my current 2000 point Deathwing idea

I don't think this is the best use of your warlord trait but...

Have you seen what Asmodai does to DW Knights now?
5 Knights, Asmodai and DW Ancient in a LRC (Add DW Champ/others/additional Knights to fill the Land Raider as you like) gives a charge with the 4 knights getting 4 attacks each at Str 10, rerolling misses.

If you can wipe out a unit (Why not?) then consolidate into another unit, pile in and fight again with the strategem, this easily removes pretty much any elite deathstar twice.

If you are using multiple lands raiders,I think you really want at least one god hammer to give counter fire to things that can kill your land raiders.

Well, some of them, anyway.  Not every threat to a land raider is a good lascannon target. 

I'm thinking two crusaders with a darkshroud, and then fill out with termies.  Maybe a hellfire dread for ranged antitank.

5 Knights, Asmodai and DW Ancient in a LRC (Add DW Champ/others/additional Knights to fill the Land Raider as you like) gives a charge with the 4 knights getting 4 attacks each at Str 10, rerolling misses.

If you can wipe out a unit (Why not?) then consolidate into another unit, pile in and fight again with the strategem, this easily removes pretty much any elite deathstar twice.

I was thinking of trying this with an Apothecary and librarian for aversion in there too. Alot of eggs in one basket but at least Asmodai is now cheaper.

Make it seven knights and the ancient.  That's actually cheaper than five knights, ancient, and Asmodai, and you get six bonus attacks from the two extra bodies, not the 4+1 bonus swings that Asmodai would give the five knights. Those two extra knights are also a better use of the limited space inside the crusader than either an apothecary or an aversion caster.  4 bonus wounds with a 2+/3++, possibly with fortress of shields, and their offensive output dwarfs the value of maybe healing a wound a turn and/or a -1 to hit (on one unit only).

Edited by march10k

Make it seven knights and the ancient.  That's actually cheaper than five knights, ancient, and Asmodai, and you get six bonus attacks from the two extra bodies, not the 4+1 bonus swings that Asmodai would give the five knights.

Asmodai has a greater effect than the +1 attack, they also re-roll misses in the fight phase :)

Make it seven knights and the ancient.  That's actually cheaper than five knights, ancient, and Asmodai, and you get six bonus attacks from the two extra bodies, not the 4+1 bonus swings that Asmodai would give the five knights.

Asmodai has a greater effect than the +1 attack, they also re-roll misses in the fight phase :smile.:

That's true enough.  Applying that to what I said, it sounds like 7 knights and Asmodai is the way to go, then, no ancient.

I like the idea that was mentioned in another thread. You could run a Dark Talon or two, advance them forward turn one in a bomb run over the chaff. Combine that with a 10-man terminator squad with 2 missile launchers, combat squadded to form a firing squad and a melee squad. Drop the melee squad and have the Deathwing Assault the next screen or the remains of the first. Drop the melee combat squad on the side to prevent anyone from escaping your Deathwing. Then drop the Deathwing Knights in, with an Ancient and a Company Master or Chaplain, and prepare for charges.

You are looking at around 1232 points by my estimation, for 10 terminators with 3 shields (one on the sgt) and 2 cyclone missile launchers, a dark talon, 5 kinghts, an ancient and an IC in terminator armor. Expensive, but might be a lot of fun to play... the thing is, you need a LOT of small infantry squads on the back line, holding the board while this arrives.

Its str 9. You apply the multiplier first then add any bonus. Its has been faqd somewhere.

Asmodai has a greater effect than the +1 attack, they also re-roll misses in the fight phase :smile.:

That's true enough.  Applying that to what I said, it sounds like 7 knights and Asmodai is the way to go, then, no ancient.

If you go with Asmodai in that setup don't forget you can take another PA character like an Apothecary, lieutenant or Zeke/Libby.