Scimitar Jetbike Basing Options

Anyone have any good recommendations or crafty ideas for mounting Scimitar Pattern on the flyer bases? I've got magnets to make them detachable, but I wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas for making them stable, but also removable for storage purposes. If not I can always just glue them permanently and just deal with the massive space suck.

If you socket the flying base stem into the jetbike, and then use it with a magnet in the end as well, it's pretty stable. So:

- Trim the peg off the flying base stem (it always breaks anyway).

- Drill a hole into the jetbike to accept the trimmed stem.

- Drill into the hole again with a smaller bit to create space for a magnet, and glue one in.

- Drill into the flying base stem and glue in a magnet.

- (Optional) Feel free to swap the flying stem in it's entirety for some clear acrylic rod.

Hopefully that makes sense? :)

If you socket the flying base stem into the jetbike, and then use it with a magnet in the end as well, it's pretty stable. So:

- Trim the peg off the flying base stem (it always breaks anyway).

- Drill a hole into the jetbike to accept the trimmed stem.

- Drill into the hole again with a smaller bit to create space for a magnet, and glue one in.

- Drill into the flying base stem and glue in a magnet.

- (Optional) Feel free to swap the flying stem in it's entirety for some clear acrylic rod.

Hopefully that makes sense? :smile.:

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking, just wanted to make sure it was stable

Well, stability will come down to the usual considerations:

• Size of base
  • Wight of model
  • Thickness of stem
  • Length of stem
  • Position of stem
  • Strength of join between base and stem
  • Strength of join between model and stem

Assuming that you want the stem to be clear, if you go with an acrylic rod, and you choose something like ~5mm diameter, and you attach it firmly to the base, then you are left with just ensuring a good fit to the model and the position of the stem under the model so that it's reasonably balanced. If you use high-attraction neodymium magnets (N42 or better), and these are reasonably sized to get a good pull, then I don't see why you'd have any issues at all. Well, except maybe having the model swivel on the stem if you knock it (easily straitened though).

For my Eldar jetbikes I used domed nuts and bolts. This allows you to unscrew them during transport. I found that magnets aren't strong enough.

I wasn't able to find a nut that was small enough to fit into the flying stand hole so had to drill the hole out a little to make it fit.
I then bought some 32mm round bases and glued the bolt onto it. I then primed and painted the bolts black.

In black they can show up a little more the clear stands but they look ok.

Its important to use the domed nuts or nuts with caps on them as just using a regular nut its easy to screw the bolt in too much and push it from the model.

If you have the September 2016 issue of White Dwarf look for the Eldar army and you can see them on my jetbikes or the December 2017 issue with my Harlequins.