Ironstriders Yay or Nay ?

DeStinyFiSh

Hey,

I was just wondering how to use Ironstriders best. My opinion is as follows:

- We already have enough long range Dakka in form of Onagers, Kastellans, Snipers and Kataphrons

- If I want mobility I prefer Dragoons since they are good to (counter-) charge and they are harder to kill thanks to the hit modifier

So I feel that everything they can do can be done better by others. Am I missing something?

I have 2 more boxes sitting at home, and at the moment I am realy tempted to build Dragoon no 5 and 6 instead of Ironstrider 3 and 4...

I don't think balistarii are competing with dragoons, to be honest. Dragoons seem better overall, but they do different things - and I think they complement each other nicely. I'm going to experiment with both, in a Stygies batallion. 6x autocannon balistarii are an interesting alternative to the Cawl robot wall. With the stratagem they will hit on 2+ even while moving, and a Dominus can give them rerolls on 1s... Which makes 24 autocannon shots interesting.

2*1 lasc balistarii

1*4 Dragoons

Stygies outrider superb. Fast units -1 and -2 to get hit. 2d6 run and still shoot screeners shooters I can free up my Dragoons and still get a good lasc shooter etc. And all fast units when I need them

I don't think balistarii are competing with dragoons, to be honest. Dragoons seem better overall, but they do different things - and I think they complement each other nicely.

Agreed.  I suppose my stance is primarily based on the fact that they share the same kit, and for 45 bucks a pop I'd rather them be as useful as possible for that slot.  Ranged support is better gained from Onagers, because as stated above by Xisor, there's no advantage to the Ironstrider's mobility from an "armour penetration" standpoint (since such a thing no longer exists) so pure range wins out.  In that respect, the Onager/Neutron Laser (et al builds) is the clear winner, without even considering its far superior durability.