Close Combat Monster (haven't seen this one yet)

9x19 Parabellum

Ok here we go.

Take your favorite HQ (non named, non-primaris)

Let's go with captain, 4 attacks.

1 CP for Death Visions, 5 attacks.

add on 1 for Sanguinor and/or Unleash Rage and or 6's for Corbulo's red grail if you like; for now I'm trying to keep this somewhat realistic.

Artisan of War with Thunder Hammer (4 damage)

Now, on your turn, spend 1 CP for Red Rampage (+d3 attacks), rerolling with Stratagem (1 CP) if necessary.

Now spend 3 CP at the end of fight for Honor the Chapter (or 2 for Only in death does duty end, if he dies). based on the way the wording is for Red Rampage, your bonus d3 attacks continue on through the entirety of the fight phase.

You're looking at a possible 20 attacks (with 6's trigger more attacks from Corbs).

Hitting on 3's, rerolling 1's, wounding on 2's and each dealing 4 damage. (lol Mortarion take your disgusting resilience and shove it up your pustibled pustuled pustiloid nasty ass)

80+ max damage in a single turn.

The only question here is which Relic to use: Angel's Wing or Veritas Vitae?

That's cool, but are 5 to 7+ CPs worth one round of combat?

Depends on what you kill with it obviously. Killing a Mortarion or Magnus turn 1? That sounds worth it to me. ^^

This is super cool, and definitely a way to mess with your opponents deployment and plans, even if you don't go out to get that big target if you go first, you can save the command points for forlorn fury and just keep him in your deployment nice and safe and use him for an epic counter charge when they bring their combat primarch up, which they will have to do.

The benefit of using Mephiston for this purpose is that he doesn't drain as many command points as he can do almost the same thing with 2 psychic powers.

That's cool, but are 5 to 7+ CPs worth one round of combat?

Depends on what you kill with it obviously. Killing a Mortarion or Magnus turn 1? That sounds worth it to me. ^^

And if your opponent does not have a sufficiently big and juicy target, don't spend the CPs and let Captain Smash just hit stuff normally. You can take him as an effective HQ without having to compromise your army composition. If your opponent fields lots of small units, save your CPs for other stratagems. If they have brought a LOW, spend those CPs and hulk out on them. :biggrin.:

Morty costs 470 points which is probably more than you spent on the Troops units to get those CPs so I would say it is a good return.

To be fair, one CP are you going to spend anyway since you have to make him Deathcompany at the list writing stage. Possibly another if you want more than just his relic in your list. But the whole +d3 attacks, letting him fight a second time when he dies and having a 3d6 charge out of reserves/free move at the beginning of the game are things you can save if you don't need it. ^^

I mean the dedication and CP invesment is not worth it comapred to Falchion chasis <3 :smile.:

What dedication? A Captain with a Thunderhammer and (relic) Jump Pack is not much of a dedication and would only cost 1CP. All the other supporting elements are entirely optional and can be left out if not needed. :wink:

Edited by sfPanzer

To be fair, one CP are you going to spend anyway since you have to make him Deathcompany at the list writing stage. Possibly another if you want more than just his relic in your list. But the whole +d3 attacks, letting him fight a second time when he dies and having a 3d6 charge out of reserves/free move at the beginning of the game are things you can save if you don't need it. ^^

I mean the dedication and CP invesment is not worth it comapred to Falchion chasis <3 :smile.:

What dedication? A Captain with a Thunderhammer and (relic) Jump Pack is not much of a dedication and would only cost 1CP. All the other supporting elements are entirely optional and can be left out if not needed. :wink:

The original post had mentioned 80 dmg maximum on charge, I do not believe solo JP Capt is able to do this...you must put quite something into buffing him, thus at the end you might end up with bill near 800-900 a.k.a falchion level 

The original post had mentioned 80 dmg maximum on charge, I do not believe solo JP Capt is able to do this...you must put quite something into buffing him, thus at the end you might end up with bill near 800-900 a.k.a falchion level 

Yeah but 80 damage really is overkill so I wouldn't buff him that much anyway.

A Jump Pack Captain with DC Stratagem, D4 Thunderhammer and +1d3 attack Stratagem still does 13 damage to anything with a 3+ armor and less than T8. ^^

All this is VERY BA too, the lone hero going on a potentially suicide mission of self sacrifice to cripple the enemy.

Genefather would be proud.

It actually sounds very Sanguinor. Appears out of nowhere (Reserves) and goes ahead killing that nasty Blood Thirster or whatever. :biggrin.:

Edited by sfPanzer

All this is VERY BA too, the lone hero going on a potentially suicide mission of self sacrifice to cripple the enemy.

Genefather would be proud.

DoB spoiler (do we still need these?)

Captain Smash can basically recreate Dante's final assault on the Swarmlord, even down to daubing the armour black and fighting one last time after being mortally wounded.

I am quite afraid of this pesky -1 to hit from Hammer...so with any slight debuffing measures our holy martured warrior hitting on 4...and we are still spending a tonn of CPs.

How about...

Captain with relic blade?

We are still have our 2+ WS. We have a slot for a relic (jump pack, imo)...and after all it is str-6 (7 with priest nerby) ap-3 and 1+d3 dmg due the warlord trait.

I am quite afraid of this pesky -1 to hit from Hammer...so with any slight debuffing measures our holy martured warrior hitting on 4...and we are still spending a tonn of CPs.

How about...

Captain with relic blade?

We are still have our 2+ WS. We have a slot for a relic (jump pack, imo)...and after all it is str-6 (7 with priest nerby) ap-3 and 1+d3 dmg due the warlord trait.

Captain hits on a 2+, so with the -1, he's hitting on 3's.

But he also rerolls 1 (Captain Aura), so basically just don't roll 2's.

But the beauty of all this...is that you've only committed to 129 pts (using my build)...114 if you drop the shield.  The real investment is command points, and those are OPTIONALLY spent throughout the battle.  (besides the Death Visions of Sanguinius and +1 Relic)

I thought about the relic blade, but the Str 6....meh.  It's not bad, but it means only wounding vehicles on 4's and the loss of reliable damage kind of defeats the purpose.

Death visions 1

Forlorn 1

Red rampage 1

Fight again 3

5 CP + at least two other characters, so probably 400 points.

So less than half the points, but 5 CP.

In all seriousness, It's not like you'd need all the above anyway.

Sadly, Forlorn Fury is 2 CP's.

The actual real-world version of this, though, I imagine, would probably only be a jump pack librarian and MAYBE Sanguinor.  It's really not that much more of an investment given that you need 2 HQ's anyway for a battalion (3 for Brigade?)  So you have to take them anyway, might as well be to support Capt. Smashy. In real-life, I can't see using Corbulo because he can't keep up.  A Sang Priest with jump pack can keep up (thank you index), but offers a mere +1 str, which I don't think Captain Smashy really needs except against Titans, Baneblades and Mortarion.  Even wounding on 3's though, I still think he's going to one-shot all those.

Right. Without any other characters helping, he can get a maximum of 8 attacks (4 base +1 Rage +3 Rampage).  x2 if you do "Honor the Chapter" or "Only in Death Does Duty End".  So 16 attacks x 4 damage each = 64 max possible Damage. +2 more if you give him a chainsword (which, incidentally, is a very insane-Death Company-Blood Angel thing to do... "I have the HAMMER OF ULTIMATE POWER!!! (but i need another weapon in my off hand) THERE, NOW I AM READY FOR BATTLE"

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Right. Without any other characters helping, he can get a maximum of 8 attacks (4 base +1 Rage +3 Rampage).  x2 if you do "Honor the Chapter" or "Only in Death Does Duty End".  So 16 attacks x 4 = 64 max possible Damage. +2 more if you give him a chainsword (which, incidentally, is a very insane-Death Company-Blood Angel thing to do... "I have the HAMMER OF ULTIMATE POWER!!! (but i need another weapon in my off hand) THERE, NOW I AM READY FOR BATTLE"

Only x 3 tho. You can fight twice and then an additional time if you die.

Good point, however then I don't know how you get to the x4 since I assumed you meant to be able to fight twice after getting killed again.

EDIT:

(also there's a way. If you consolidate into a Berzerker unit and the WE player uses his Stratagem to fight at the end of the phase again. :tongue.: )

Edited by sfPanzer

Good point, however then I don't know how you get to the x4 since I assumed you meant to be able to fight twice after getting killed again.

EDIT:

(also there's a way. If you consolidate into a Berzerker unit and the WE player uses his Stratagem to fight at the end of the phase again. :tongue.: )

OOohhhh. I see. No the x4 was in reference to the amount of damage those attacks would put out (not the number of times they fight).  So, 16 attacks, assuming all of them hit and wound would generate a maximum possible total of 64 damage.