Close Combat Monster (haven't seen this one yet)

9x19 Parabellum

Don’t forget that Vanilla Psychic Powers use the Adeptus Astartes keyword. Adding Might of Heroes to the mix can be a bit exciting.

I don't have my C:SM book with me. Can someone confirm this is true?  Because, for example, Unleash Rage can only be cast on a keyword: blood angels model. So I'm assuming that Might of Heroes can only be cast on a model with the <Chapter tag> that matches the librarian who's casting it.  Can anyone confirm?

If it's legal, then my go to list may become a hybrid Blood-Angel / Raven-Guard after all. 

Don’t forget that Vanilla Psychic Powers use the Adeptus Astartes keyword. Adding Might of Heroes to the mix can be a bit exciting.

I don't have my C:SM book with me. Can someone confirm this is true?  Because, for example, Unleash Rage can only be cast on a keyword: blood angels model. So I'm assuming that Might of Heroes can only be cast on a model with the <Chapter tag> that matches the librarian who's casting it.  Can anyone confirm?

If it's legal, then my go to list may become a hybrid Blood-Angel / Raven-Guard after all. 

I can confirm it. You can cast Might of Heroes on any Adeptus Astartes model. ;)

Something to keep in mind here is that those nurgle daemons are almost always going to be -1 to hit. So the relic hammer would be better against nurgle imho. Though I would honestly give this captain both the hammer and jumpack relic. It will be an extra cp but I think it will be worth it.

It is definitely good. There is so much good variations:

Hammer of Baal with 5+ fnp reroll 1

Artisan of war and relic jp

Also dual claw artisan of war is a thing too. More oriented to kill marine and primaris.

I’m tempted to use 2 DC captain as they are so point effective. One with relic hammer the other with artisan.

Kinda weird we are better monster hunter than Grey Knights.

I've been planning on going with this exact build on a captain since they leaked our strats/warlord traits- with the addition of a stormshield. I was going to go with the Angel's Wing for the relic- my meta has a problem with blobs of double shooting Mechanicus dakkabots and this seemed like the perfect solution.

I built my D.C. Capt with thunder hammer and inferno pistol for maximum potential damage. I didn't want to waste that 2+ BS

I was thinking he'd have enough survivability with the FNP warlord trait to not require the storm shield, but I magnetized him just in case!

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Something to keep in mind here is that those nurgle daemons are almost always going to be -1 to hit. So the relic hammer would be better against nurgle imho. Though I would honestly give this captain both the hammer and jumpack relic. It will be an extra cp but I think it will be worth it.

You can't. Only one relic per character.

Kinda weird we are better monster hunter than Grey Knights.

Heh....This stupid shard on the Captain. Suddenly we can smash daemons better than Draigo! :D

I built my D.C. Capt with thunder hammer and inferno pistol for maximum potential damage. I didn't want to waste that 2+ BS

I was thinking he'd have enough survivability with the FNP warlord trait to not require the storm shield, but I magnetized him just in case!

I honestly would go without SS as well. He still has his 4++ after all.

The best part is, most of this is viable on a number of characters that could easily make it into your army. Sanguinor, Mephiston, Dante, lemartes and as you say the captain, the first 3 won't be able to use forlorn but in any given situation the red thirst is so powerful, adding red rampage all but ensures the death of most characters barring very good invuln rolling, and Mephiston can take down anything he come up against with quickening and red rampage and potentially unleash rage in effect for a max 11 attacks. I actually never use honour the chapter because it's so damn expensive and against something really scary you probably die before you get to use it so default to only in death anyway. On a separate note I'm slightly miffed that Grey Knights get only in death for 1CP and everyone else has to pay 2CP for it. Edited by swordofmandulis

*If* you intend the captain to go LoW hunting the wings are needed. Many LoWs have multiple flamer-type weapons and the overwatch can kill the captain. A shadowsword with 4 heavy flamers has a potent overwatch. Knight acheron cerastus with it´s damage 3 flamer is going to delete a charging captain without wings.

BUT then on the other hand, is it really worth it to spend 3 CP on honour, 1 on rampage and 2 on duty to take out some of the big LoWs?

I'd hunt anything big with him. LoWs, Characters (still an average of 8 damage against a 4++ save!), tanks. Whatever as long as it's worth smashing! :biggrin.:

Edit: I might add 8 damage against a 4++ save with the budget variant of D4 hammer, Deathcompany and +1d3 attacks. ^^

Edited by sfPanzer

*If* you intend the captain to go LoW hunting the wings are needed. Many LoWs have multiple flamer-type weapons and the overwatch can kill the captain. A shadowsword with 4 heavy flamers has a potent overwatch. Knight acheron cerastus with it´s damage 3 flamer is going to delete a charging captain without wings.

BUT then on the other hand, is it really worth it to spend 3 CP on honour, 1 on rampage and 2 on duty to take out some of the big LoWs?

The Angel's wing is a great point for denying overwatch on auto-hit stuff.

But again, and i can't stress this enough. You don't HAVE TO spend CP's on honour, or rampage or duty!!!  You're only committment pregame is 129 pts (114 if you wanna ditch the shield), your warlord trait and 2 CP's 1 for Death Visions and 1 for extra relic (which, even that is not a MUST).  From there, you pick your Stratagems (or don't) as your opponent's army (and the scenario) requires.  If really all you have to alpha-strike is a bunch of well bubble-wrapped chaff...then you just DON'T GO IN GUNS BLAZING!  Let your shooting and bolters make a hole first.

I'd hunt anything big with him. LoWs, Characters (still an average of 8 damage against a 4++ save!), tanks. Whatever as long as it's worth smashing! :biggrin.:

Agreed. About the only thing he's wasted on is chaff, and even then, if you can consolidate into something juicy enough to HtC on, it still might be worth it.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

The Angel's wing is a great point for denying overwatch on auto-hit stuff.

But again, and i can't stress this enough. You don't HAVE TO spend CP's on honour, or rampage or duty!!!  You're only committment pregame is 129 pts (114 if you wanna ditch the shield), your warlord trait and 2 CP's 1 for Death Visions and 1 for extra relic (which, even that is not a MUST).  From there, you pick your Stratagems (or don't) as your opponent's army (and the scenario) requires.  If really all you have to alpha-strike is a bunch of well bubble-wrapped chaff...then you just DON'T GO IN GUNS BLAZING!  Let your shooting and bolters make a hole first.

True, I was just commentig on the gear optimized for LoW hunting. It´s a completely different matter if it is wise to spend the captain/"red missile" on doing potential crippeling damage to a big LoW. As you said, it depends on the mission, terrain, opponent, score and so on. Some times it would probably be better going for "soft targets" like monsters, enemy warlords, main battle tanks and shooty dreads....

You don’t need to, you just need 2 dc captain that costs less than 130 pts each.

The first one with the jp relic charges to negate over watch, the second follow. Together they should kill a bane blade, imperial knight or other low just with red rampage.

The combo works well too with a lieutenant and a captain together. However the lieutenant lacks the Invulnerable

So is 2-3 co worth taking out baneblades for 230 points? Sure

You don’t need to, you just need 2 dc captain that costs less than 130 pts each.

The first one with the jp relic charges to negate over watch, the second follow. Together they should kill a bane blade, imperial knight or other low just with red rampage.

The combo works well too with a lieutenant and a captain together. However the lieutenant lacks the Invulnerable

It is risky. Chances are high for one of them to fail the charge. Don’t get me wrong, I love the DChammer-captain, but I dont think slamming two of them at a baneblade-chassis is a sure kill.

So... I had just typed up a post about reining in the horses somewhat after reading things like “one-shotting Morty” and such, and what with hiw that might only work assuming perfect rolls, no saves made and and ALL the support characters.

But then I did some number crunching. And it turns out that assuming average rolls and average support our angry captain CAN in fact one-shot a Wraithknight for instance (with the double attwck stratagem).

So, um, carry on :D

So... I had just typed up a post about reining in the horses somewhat after reading things like “one-shotting Morty” and such, and what with hiw that might only work assuming perfect rolls, no saves made and and ALL the support characters.

But then I did some number crunching. And it turns out that assuming average rolls and average support our angry captain CAN in fact one-shot a Wraithknight for instance (with the double attwck stratagem).

So, um, carry on :biggrin.:

Yeah, best thing is that even if he gets killed before being able to attack a second time he can still attack once more with the other stratagem. :D

So, um, carry on :D

Yeah, best thing is that even if he gets killed before being able to attack a second time he can still attack once more with the other stratagem. :D

Well, a lot of thingd would probably rather back out of combat and shoot him in the face, but still, he’s not super expensive points wise and can’t be ignored. What I love most about him is the versatility and mobility. I’d be perfectly happy having him sit next to my firebase for T1 or T2 providing re-rolls, whereas a lot (most?) other combat monsters would be wasted there. Plus being able to rapidly re-deploy... what a great all-rounder!

So, um, carry on :biggrin.:

Yeah, best thing is that even if he gets killed before being able to attack a second time he can still attack once more with the other stratagem. :biggrin.:

Well, a lot of thingd would probably rather back out of combat and shoot him in the face, but still, he’s not super expensive points wise and can’t be ignored. What I love most about him is the versatility and mobility. I’d be perfectly happy having him sit next to my firebase for T1 or T2 providing re-rolls, whereas a lot (most?) other combat monsters would be wasted there. Plus being able to rapidly re-deploy... what a great all-rounder!

I wasn't talking about the next round. Keep in mind that whatever you charge and don't kill with your first series of attacks is allowed to punch back. A Mortarion, Imperial Knight or whatever can hurt a simple Captain a lot. ^^

It is risky. Chances are high for one of them to fail the charge. Don’t get me wrong, I love the DChammer-captain, but I dont think slamming two of them at a baneblade-chassis is a sure kill.

If we're burning Command Points like they're going out of fashion, then you can quite reliably put two DC Captains into a single target: Forlorn Fury on one and Descent of Angels on the other lets you put them pretty much exactly where you want them. But then, given that you're probably running Sanguinary Guard and/or Death Company, you may prefer to use the Stratagems on the larger units....

If we're burning Command Points like they're going out of fashion, then you can quite reliably put two DC Captains into a single target: Forlorn Fury on one and Descent of Angels on the other lets you put them pretty much exactly where you want them. But then, given that you're probably running Sanguinary Guard and/or Death Company, you may prefer to use the Stratagems on the larger units....

I´ll have to disagree on the assumption "easily". If we/you dont get the first turn it will not be easy to get the forlorn captain i CC with the right target and then our opponent can manouver to ensure the descending captin will have to land 14" inches form the target.

This is based on reachin a "shooty" LoW, that won´t have much to gain by closing the gap, like a shadow sword. V.S LoWs that actually want to get up close it will be much easier to get to captains into the same target, but he can still shield sections/approch. If magnus stops in a runin or deploys there, we have -2" charge. If he deploys cultists/poxxwalkers/renegades like a crescent shielding one side it will be hard to land in a good postition for the descending captain.

I love the captain with JP, hammer, visions, but I am debating if two captains can "easily" reach a priority target :-)