Loading a transport for murdering stuff - new codex

Crimson Ghost IX

Pretty simple.

What do you think is a great load plan for transporting the boys.

I have seen some good ideas floating about.

I am liking this idea to get us started:

1 char - Corbs, Mephy, Tycho , build your own...

4 Company Veterans - Armed for the job at hand. Prolly stormbolters and CQC mixed toys for me.

5 Sternguard with special issue bolters and 2 grav cannon.

in a Rhino. x2 with a DCDN in support.

-- I think it strikes a nice balance of uses for mech infantry units going forward into the enemy.

Feel free to talk Mech generally - Razors, Ravens, Repulsors etc too.

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

Repulsors filled with 8 Hellblasters and a Captain and an Ancient with relic banner. Can't get much more killy and is rather durable but also costs a ton of points (about 750p in total).

For anti-infanty GEQ/MEQ duty....dunno. I don't think I'd fill a transport with guys for that. Incestors can drop in and are mobile without any transporter help and have 6 S5 AP-1 shots each. They really outshine Stormbolter or Heavy Bolter guys in transports imo.

Melta guys in a Rhino/Razorback are pretty nice as well and are sure to draw a lot of fire from the opponent as long as he has some tanks/monsters on his side. I wouldn't make that combination too expensive tho. 

Repulsors filled with 8 Hellblasters and a Captain and an Ancient with relic banner. Can't get much more killy and is rather durable but also costs a ton of points (about 750p in total).

This, so much this!

Only change I would make would be to include an apothecary too to patch up or even revive your expensive multi-wound Hellblasters. The good thing is that the supporting characters don't have to be Primaris at all as they can hide behind the Repulsor and Advance into buff range on T1 or take jump packs or get out of a nearby transport etc.

Only the Ancient benefits from being Primaris since his Banner affects models in range rather than units in range.

For anti-infanty GEQ/MEQ duty....dunno. I don't think I'd fill a transport with guys for that. Incestors can drop in and are mobile without any transporter help and have 6 S5 AP-1 shots each. They really outshine Stormbolter or Heavy Bolter guys in transports imo.

Melta guys in a Rhino/Razorback are pretty nice as well and are sure to draw a lot of fire from the opponent as long as he has some tanks/monsters on his side. I wouldn't make that combination too expensive tho. 

That Repulsor is a mean machine for sure. Standard bearer and a Captain in there too with the Hellblasters!

As you said alot of points tho. But does not suck =)

Valid point on perhaps leaving the GEQ/MEQ shooting duties of the storm bolter to other units jumping up in support of the mech infantry.

Perhaps loading up on more CQC toys is a better idea.

Melta is amazing up close after sheltering a turn also and helps crack enemy mech infantry like Bezerkers and such.

I  tried that last gameday and had the Repulsor taken out turn two by 6 lascannons and the squad inside killed piecemeal by guard infantry. I happily conceded after that.

It is not a good combination at all...two many eggs in ones basket.

But ultimately if they can get to where they need to be...just like everything else they can be effective.

Krash

Edited by Captain_Krash

I have to say that sounds spectacularly unlucky. 6 Lascannons at BS4+ should only inflict 6 wounds on average on a Repulsor. 8 Hellblasters with Standard of Sacrifice would take on average 432 lasgun shots to put down, and that is before the Apothecary gets involved. If 8th edition shows us anything, it is that any player who really wants a unit to die can usually make it happen. But if said death takes up so much of his army that he cannot deal with the rest of your forces, you may still be in with a chance to win.

The guard infantry included special and heavy weapons not just lasguns my friend. :wink: Plasma/Glauncher spam crushed me. But Guard are tough I should know it was my army facing me haha

We were playing 1850, So I only conceded so we could get another game in before the shop closed. The Repulsor is just to many points to be effective at least in my game experience. But that's another topic entirely.

Krash

The Repulsor is just to many points to be effective at least in my game experience. But that's another topic entirely.

Krash

No man that is the topic for sure.

Let's find some working strats for playing mech infantry efficiently.

Too many eggs in one basket is a completely valid thing to say.

Do you think Blood Angels can face IG well with mech infantry?

If so, What would you run or what gives ya trouble ? etc

Maybe something more inside the points budget if that Load of Repulsor killyness that sfPanzer posted is too spendy perhaps.=)

It is an interesting dilemma as Guard are about the polar opposite of Blood Angels with hordes of squishy infantry and lots of big guns combined with a distinct aversion to getting too close to the enemy.

Charging guard with BAs seems like charging a snow-drift, sure you can squelch whichever bits of it you grab but making a big overall dent is a challenge. Of course snow drifts are not normally armed with massed artillery so the analogy only goes so far. :wink:

I think the key may be to use MSU squads and assault as many targets as possible so that if your enemy withdraws them all from combat, he will not have enough units left to shoot at you and make a dent before you charge him again for more Red Thirsty goodness. Pure theoryhammer of course.

Fact remains you had awful luck for the lascannons to get so much damage through in one turn.

How many did you run as well? I agree that hellblasters in a repulsor is a lot of points though... so the army needs to account for that.

2 repulsors, each with 5 intercessors and 5 hellblasters may be one useful thing.

For BA, I really think shield of sanguinius is an important strategy to help keep repulsors alive, albeit not as good as it once was.

Depending on loadout, a repulsor can absolutely mulch horde armies, but I think that generally, the reduced firepower in favour of the lascannons is a good choice.

I am also in favour of lascannons. Now that we have to drop outside optimum melta range, it is important to include sufficient anti-tank shooting in your army. Crazy dudes in black armour with Thunder Hammers are all well and good but sometimes you need to reach out and hurt that big target that is outside charge range. Lascannons + POTMS get my vote. Shame we cannot pile our Primaris into Land raiders though. :sad.: I guess GW have to be able to push those shiny new Repulsors somehow.

I agree that a Primaris equivalent of a Rhino would be good.

Primaris really need access to a LAV, similar to Rhino, maybe around 100 pts.  Repulsor is too many eggs.  I believe GW knows this and it's just a question of getting the next wave of Primaris Line models released...and the rules to support them.

The more I consider this 8th ed codex/edition, the more I see Scouts as our Troop fillers for either one of two rolls: backfield deepstrike blockers and/or objective grabbers, and forward 1st wave assault elements.  I really like the idea of assault marines in mech to coordinate with/support 1st wave assaults.  Tacs are there if you don't have enough Scouts (like me).

I like Sternguard too (give em a power sword) and Company Vets (but I'd avoid making them jack-of-all-traders; too expensive).  But I'm really trying hard to unlock the Brigade secret sauce at 2k, so running out of room for Elites very quickly, I'm afraid.

I actually think GW sees Primaris as a mainly footslogging army with very few vehicles so I wouldn't be surprised at all if there wouldn't be any cheaper transport coming.

I actually think GW sees Primaris as a mainly footslogging army with very few vehicles so I wouldn't be surprised at all if there wouldn't be any cheaper transport coming.

Really?? So do you think they are done with Primaris models (at least for the forseeable future?)

That really breaks my heart, because I LOVE mechanized infantry. A Prhino would sell me on the Primaris for good.

lol no they aren't done with them at all.

But instead of a cheap-ish transport I expect to see more chapter specific units, maybe something like a repulsor bike/landspeeder unit (fast skirmishing unit without Jump Pack), a melee unit, flyer, dedicated battle tanks without transport capability and so on. Just not something that enables you to build a real mechanized list with lots of vehicles with 2k points.

I think Scouts as forward elements and Intercessors as objective campers are our best Troop options in 8th. This is curiously appropriate given the developments in "Devastation of Baal".

I'd say it depends. If you get Lascannons elsewhere I'd definitely go with Scouts and Intercessors. If you don't have other sources of Lascannons I'd go with Scouts and Lascannon Tacticals.

Tho what has that to do with this topic? ^^

I  tried that last gameday and had the Repulsor taken out turn two by 6 lascannons and the squad inside killed piecemeal by guard infantry. I happily conceded after that.

It is not a good combination at all...two many eggs in ones basket.

But ultimately if they can get to where they need to be...just like everything else they can be effective.

Krash

This is why I still think Drop Pods have huge value to the units that can still use them. Something about the 100% protection until deployment that makes their cost worth it imho.

If you think your Repulsor is in danger and there aren't targets of higher priority you could always use his Auto launchers for that -1 to-hit modifier against shooting. Together with Shield of Sanguinius it should easily survive long enough to deliver its load and then it can still act as gunboat.

the auto launchers are a terrible idea.

The primaris units are not good enough in melee or close ranged shooting to justify not firing with nearly 1/4 of the average army for a turn.

if the auto launchers had imposed a penalty on the repulsors own to-hit rolls? they'd be okay, but they're terrible as it stands.