+ Prot's Death Guard Hobby Thread P2 Drone Challenge Done!

Prot

Hehe... Fart Karts.. I will definitely be using that.

Here's two finished. I did magnetize the side sponsons for spewy options.

gallery_2760_14016_290045.jpg

gallery_2760_14016_24073.jpg

Here's a shot from my last game vs. Dark Angels.... Typhus actually made it up the lines this time and had a little dance with Azrael himself!

gallery_2760_14016_31144.jpg

Really nice man. I cant wait to get a Crawler someday myself

Really torn between the plagueburst and the blighthawler now.

How do you rate them in game?

(i was all sold on blighthawlers until i realised Imperial Fists ignore the cover!)

Thanks guys! I think they have different roles. At 2K I’m not convinced both units believe no in the same list just because of points. I guess it would work with one Plague Crawler and a unit of advancing Blight Haulers. But I’ve grown to like dual Plague Crwalers. Their problem is they get left behind and are susceptible to deep strike attacks with my slow lists.

For myself I’m actually using both units right now, the cost is in my infantry count. Also I’ve been trying to wedge in a Bloat Drone or two but I think I’m stretching it too thin.

The two tanks are looking awesome. I have to wait till I paint all of my Death Guard before I will get y hands on one of those. One day though

That’s a noble idea. I’m just a sucker for cool models. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Poxwalkers finally painted... which are shown in the painting forum in the WIP section:

gallery_2760_14016_458918.jpg

But I also picked this up as the online store did restock this item:

gallery_2760_14016_816946.jpg

The limited three man box set is pricey, but quite nice. I think the little booklet is actually my favorite add on (aside from the figs themselves):

gallery_2760_14016_224772.jpg

Maxime Pastourel did a heck of a job.

I've considered melta in my Rhino mounted Plague Marines so it's not a horrible decision to get this! :smile.:

The Poxwalkers are awesome. I love how colourful they are instead of the plain brown/grey cloths many do.

It's funny how you say that... in my last game my opponent ridiculed them saying they looked like 'Astronauts'. lol

I just didn't want a table of brown/dark green as you say.... but I take quite a bit of jabbing during my games. I'm used to it. The important part is that many of his models joined my 'Astronaut' team. :)

The Poxwalkers are awesome. I love how colourful they are instead of the plain brown/grey cloths many do.

It's funny how you say that... in my last game my opponent ridiculed them saying they looked like 'Astronauts'. lol

I just didn't want a table of brown/dark green as you say.... but I take quite a bit of jabbing during my games. I'm used to it. The important part is that many of his models joined my 'Astronaut' team. :smile.:

I know that feeling. My T'au are from the Sa'Cea sept and one of my opponents keeps laughing about the orange (my Breacher squad has its undercloth in the Sept colour like the Vior'la models parade uniform GW uses everywhere). :D

Well something came in the mail that may be putting a kink (or stink?) in my plans....

gallery_2760_14016_66694.jpg

I was all set to dive into Custodes, and of course the new Thousand Sons Codex. I had forgot I ordered him and this puts me at quite a sizeable collection of Death Guard. So much to do.

I've definitely enjoyed playing the army to a large degree since the codex came out. I just wish it didn't feel so centralized around Poxwalkers for me!

I've got a ton of Blightlords to paint too...

gallery_2760_14016_261013.jpg

Well something came in the mail that may be putting a kink (or stink?) in my plans....

gallery_2760_14016_66694.jpg

I was all set to dive into Custodes, and of course the new Thousand Sons Codex. I had forgot I ordered him and this puts me at quite a sizeable collection of Death Guard. So much to do.

I've definitely enjoyed playing the army to a large degree since the codex came out. I just wish it didn't feel so centralized around Poxwalkers for me!

I've got a ton of Blightlords to paint too...

gallery_2760_14016_261013.jpg

Well if its such an inconviencence Prot i suppose i could help you out and take him off your hands for you.

No charge honest!! Lol ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Prot;

What process did you use to get that nice off-white skin color for your pox walkers?  Your little army blogs are really inspirational!

Thank you.

The offwhite is so easy... you'll love this. It's simply the GW bone coloured Primer with washes. I wash with slightly watered down crimson/purple etc. It adds variety. Then I go back in and dry brush it up to a tinted, brighter colour than the wash: IE: Bone + purple wash = dry brush with bone + pinkish hues. It's pretty darn easy for a mass of smelly dudes like this.

Just a repost of this batrep to keep it in my WIP thread....

As usual I have to start off with a shot of the game... a pivotal moment. I'll tell you one thing, this was a horrific moment for a few 'big names' in 40K:

gallery_2760_14016_447650.jpg

++ Mortarion swoops into the Dark Angels' lines, but he hangs onto life by a thread. The Deathshroud try valiantly to keep their Primarch alive, but Mortarion is met by supreme resistance; the new Helblasters are untouched, as well a Lientenant, Ezekiel and the Chapter Master Azrael himself step up to meet the challenge. Has Mortarion taken on too much? Have the Dark Angels overestimated their abilities against a Daemon Primarch? ..... ++

LINK: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344421-prot-quickie-batrep-death-guard-vs-da-2k-mortarion-pics/?p=5010846

• 3 weeks later...

So I was working on some Blightlords and tried this experiment:

gallery_2760_14273_314390.jpg

It turns out at least 50% of the time Trajjan does not walk away from the Blightlords IF they go first. The typical squad I use has the Flail which turns out to be a huge difference maker. Shockingly the 'False Emperor' and Plague Weapon Rules make a very big difference when we're talking about multi wounds.

I did 5 rounds where Trajjan goes up against the Deathshroud. It gets much worse for him.... if the Shroud have one lucky turn they can shred him with all the multidamage attacks...basically 3 Deathshroud give him a much harder time.

On the other hand if the 4+ saves are not firing on all cylinders for Deathguard, his multidamage nearly negates the FnP effectiveness, but doing this in sequence, a lot comes down to his Damage rolls against the DG units. The Blightlords need more time to deal with him. The Deathshroud are clearly more effective against him in this fishbowl scenario. (I did not use his relic for this... I think it depended on what you'd do with it (If he went first, attack twice. Or regain 3 wounds if he lived a round).

Either way it would take 2 full rounds of combat almost every time, and only one time did either side walk away lightly damaged.

Thanks. That's a pretty nice compliment... I don't know if it's true but I do love working on this army. It's too bad it feels so limiting....

I've given myself a challenge.... I have 3 Bloat drones. 2 from the Dark Imperium set, and a newer flesh mower one. None are painted. I just finished assembly this weekend. I've given myself til the weekend to finish all three to a decent table top standard. Will I finish?

gallery_2760_14016_140289.jpg

Ack! Drone challenge completed!

gallery_2760_14016_319943.jpg

I have more pics on my blog, but you get the idea.... did this in a couple of days (2-3 evenings). I actually enjoyed the fleshy parts a lot but I guess as the player, I would be the only one really seeing them. :)

Archived