Two quick Chapter Tactics / Warlord Traits questions

Wargamer

So a recent conversation or two has made me question whether I'm interpreting some rules right...

1: Chapter Tactics

My assumption was that so long as

a - your entire army is made up of legal detachments, and

b - any given Space Marine detachment contains only Space Marine units from the same Chapter

that this detachment gets Chapter Tactics.

Now, my query is this - does that mean each detachment can have a different set of Chapter Tactics?

Warlord Traits:

For the Chapter specific warlord traits, do you have to actually play that precise Chapter, or merely be using their Chapter Tactics? In other words, can a Crimson Fists Chapter use the Imperial Fists Warlord Trait?

Edited by Wargamer

1st question - yes. It works that way for other races too, so Tyranids with different Hive Fleets in one army etc.

2nd question - specific Chapter. If you play a different Chapter you're meant to change the keyword to that Chapter, so Chapter keyword specific stuff stops working. So you can't use the Imperial Fists warlord trait in your Crimson Fists. Same for relics. Chapter Tactics and Stratagems get around this by having a clause that lets you use the parent Chapter's Tactic/Stratagem.

There are ways around it, such as using the Imperial Fists keyword even though your army is painted as Crimson Fists, though that might annoy some opponents and obviously stops you from using Pedro Kantor. I think though, that's a case of using RAW to override RAI. GW have made it fairly clear that they intend for the keywords to be limiting in places. See FAQ restrictions on Guard regimental keywords and Tempestus Scions, for example.

If a detachment has units only from one Chapter, they all get their Chapter tactic.

As to your Warlord traits question, each Chapter may only have its own Chapter tactic; so, no, Crimson Fists are only C-Fists, and cannot use any other CT.

In other words: no. Each Chapter only uses its own CT; however, two Detachments from different Chapters can each use their own CT, and not the others'.