New edition, new Codex, new thread!

In the new Codex our Captains got what we wanted them to have: they became cheaper, they gained access to cool stratagems and warlord traits and, they gained access to Relics of Baal. This versatility coupled with their inherent durability has made them a move viable choice and one we're likely to see/use on the field of battle.

The following thread is to be a database for all the types of build we can make for our Captains. I will keep this thread updated with each legal suggestion (and a tip of the hat to he who suggested it) so we have an easy reference. To submit a build, please do the following:

~ Give your build a name
~ Give it a list of wargear (if not found in C:BA, then please state what supplement)
~ Give it a total point cost (please remember that individual points for options are not permitted on B&C)
~ Give a small summary why it's good/cool/fluffy

I'll start the ball rolling with two favourites from the past:

Hammertime
~ Artisan of War
~ Two Thunderhammers
~ 116

Here the rule of cool wins out. Has durability to withstand punishment before dishing out an almighty amount of pain. The psychological effect from this model comes into play too and it's better than it's previous incarnation due to being cheaper. Could probably be cheaper with a Power Fist but...

Classic
~ Artisan of War
~ Lightning Claw, Power Fist
~ 92
~ (add transport of choice)

This is the classic versatile build. Both weapons mean he can either shred infantry or pound away at something heavier. If you want to use his BS, either give him a bike or chuck a grenade.

Watchdog ~ Aothaine
~ Artisan of War (Boltgun) & Death Visions of Sanguinius
~ Master Crafted Boltgun, Power Sword, Jump Pack
~ Will edit and add this when I get home

A lot of people like going with combi-weapons for this guy but his MC Boltgun is also really good. Just set this guy up with your ranged support and blast away.

Frank the Tank ~ Aothaine
~ Gift of Foresight & Death Visions of Sanguinius or Artisan of War(Power Sword)
~ Power Sword,  Storm Shield, Jump Pack
~ Will add points later

Building off Pendent's and Olcottr's ideas below. The Captain can be use to be a pretty nasty anti-elite unit. 3+/3++/5+++ saves are pretty good. :happy.:

Crusader ~ olcottr
~ Power Sword, Storm Shield
~ 93

Presented without comment

Riot-Control ~ olcottr
~ Master-crafted Boltgun, Storm Shield
~ 92

Captain Smashypants ~ 9x19 Parabellum
~ Thunderhammer
~ Chainsword/storm shield
~ Artisan of War
~ Angel's Wing
~ 114/129

The VERY Angry Marine ~ sfPanzer
~ 2 x Powerfist
~ Angel's Wing
~ Death Visions of Sanguinius
~ Legendary Fighter (BRB one that gives +1 Attack)

6 Attacks at STR 8, AP -3, DMG 1D3 on the charge. Alternatively, give him the Gift of Forsight Warlord Trait for one attack less on the charge but a 5+++ instead of 6+++

MC Hammer of Baal ~ Brother Aether
~ Hammer of Baal
~ Stormshield
~ Jump Pack
~ Gift of Foresight
~ 129

Flavor to taste with Death Visions of Sanguinius for some juicy staying power.

Eddie the Trooper ~ Crimson Ghost IX
~ 2 x Lightning Claw
~ Jump Pack
~ 107

Looks like he might get demoted back to Lt since the codex for using excessive violence to resolve everything or something...

The Ripper ~ Lord_Ikka
~ Cataphractii Armor
~ 2 x Lightning Claws
~ Gift of Foresight (Trait)
~ Death Visions of Sanguinius (Stratagem)
~ 138

Close combat captain designed to rip through tarpit enemies. The DC strat plus Gift of Foresight means that he has a lot of durability and can tank the weak attacks of most bubble-wrap units, and tank the fire of a few units by himself (which he may need if he fails his Deep Strike charge). He is also enough of a threat with 6 attacks on the charge at -2 that regular power armor foes still need to pay attention to him. Could be considered an moderately expendable distraction, for while he does cost a CP and over 120 points, he is something that the enemy will need to deal with- if they leave him in the backfield/flank he will rip up Devastator squads.

Captain Shooty McKillya ~ Adorondak
~ Artisan of War + combi-plasma
~ Season to taste (though I'm leaning toward JP and Hammer of Baal)

Assuming that artisan affects both weapons in a combi at the same time (a question I mean to ask on facebook as soon as I get home from work) and you're willing to risk the overheat he has the potential to do 5 damage a shooting phase, 10 if in rapid fire. Hammer makes him a decent threat in CC and JP makes it easier to intercept threats. The perfect babysitter for your gunline.

Captain Hammerica ~ unerde
~ Death Visions of Sanguinius
~ Angel's Wing
~ Thunderhammer
~ Hand-Flamer
~ Artisan of War Warlord Trait

Let's wreck some faces!! :biggrin.:

PlasmaTola Khomeini ~ brother_b
~ Combi Plasma
~ Power sword
~ Artisan of War

This guy sits in the back with your devs and hellblasters in order to shore up the shooting line. He can also show up in a drop pod with sternguard/devs.
His trait gives his combi plasma +1, with 2 damage normally and 3 on the overcharge.
Power sword in case anybody gets close, or in case he drops in close in a pod.
Also available in a melta version.

Edited by Jolemai
Entries updated!

Watchdog

~ Artisan of War (Boltgun) & Death Visions of Sanguinius

~ Master Crafted Boltgun, Power Sword, Jump Pack

~ Will edit and add this when I get home

Note: A lot of people like going with combi-weapons for this guy but his MC Boltgun is also really good. Just set this guy up with your ranged support and blast away.

Frank the Tank

~ Gift of Foresight & Death Visions of Sanguinius or Artisan of War(Power Sword)

~ Power Sword,  Storm Shield, Jump Pack

~ Will add points later

Note: Building off Pendent's and Olcottr's ideas below. The Captain can be use to be a pretty nasty anti-elite unit. 3+/3++/5+++ saves are pretty good. :happy.:

Edited by Aothaine

I do have to ask why you would pay for two thunder hammers. They might look cool, by why pay for both when you can just "counts as?"

Post codex I prefer to keep mine simple but exceedingly smashy-

Jump Pack

Thunder Hammer

Inferno Pistol.

Tweak the relic/warlord/strategem mix depending on what you're facing and/or how ridiculous you want your character to be. I think I'd generally go for the Hammer of Baal because I like to roll 2's and then take either Soulwarden or Speed of the Primarch depending on what I'm facing purely for fluff reasons- I don't really want to throw my fancy captain away to the Black Rage every game. There's a strong argument to be made for taking a normal thunder hammer with Artisan of War and The Angel's Wing, which is probably objectively better except for the part that I am REALLY good at rolling 2's. Obviously giving him the Black Rage and Gift of Foresight is also really strong.

The best thing about the loadout is that you can make some of these decisions on the fly because they don't cost any points. If you know you're facing a primarch or something it would probably be a good idea to save a bunch of CP so you can fight multiple times and kit your guy out for maximum damage.

Since I found him (I don't want to say I invented him, he was always there...just waiting to be found):

Captain Smashypants (piss, wind and vinegar edition) 114

Captain

Thunderhammer

Chainsword

Artisan of War

Angel's Wing

Captain Smashypants (once bitten twice shy edition) 129

Captain

Thunderhammer

Stormshield

Artisan of War

Angel's Wing

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Huh I thought a pair of Powerfists would give you an additional attack as well like a pair of Lightning Claws. Well since I've already thought of a name I'll still post him here anyway! :P

The VERY Angry Marine

2x Powerfist
Angel's Wing
Black Rage
Legendary Fighter (BRB one that gives +1 Attack)

6 Attacks at S8 AP-3 D1d3 on the charge

Or the slightly less Angry Marine
2x Powerfist
Angel's Wing
Black Rage
Gift of Foresight

One attack less on the charge but a 5+++ instead of 6+++

Since I found him (I don't want to say I invented him, he was always there...just waiting to be found):

Captain Smashypants (piss, wind and vinegar edition) 114

Captain

Thunderhammer

Chainsword

Artisan of War

Angel's Wing

Captain Smashypants (once bitten twice shy edition) 129

Captain

Thunderhammer

Stormshield

Artisan of War

Angel's Wing

As I mentioned in my loadout thread a few days ago, compared to 9x19 Parabellum's Captain Smashypants, I missed the Angel's Wing but used the Hammer of Baal instead for the following:

MC Hammer of Baal 129

Captain

Hammer of Baal

Stormshield

Jump Pack

Gift of Foresight

Flavor to taste with Death Visions of Sanguinius for some juicy staying power.

Keep them coming folks, will do an update in due course.

I do have to ask why you would pay for two thunder hammers. They might look cool, by why pay for both when you can just "counts as?"

Legacy units. I did state I'd state the ball rolling with two favourites from the past and some folk have these left over from previous editions :)

The Ripper - 138

Captain in Cataphractii Armor

Twin Lightning Claws

Gift of Foresight (Trait)

Death Visions of Sanguinius (Stratagem)

Close combat captain designed to rip through tarpit enemies. The DC strat plus Gift of Foresight means that he has a lot of durability and can tank the weak attacks of most bubble-wrap units, and tank the fire of a few units by himself (which he may need if he fails his Deep Strike charge). He is also enough of a threat with 6 attacks on the charge at -2 that regular power armor foes still need to pay attention to him. Could be considered an moderately expendable distraction, for while he does cost a CP and over 120 points, he is something that the enemy will need to deal with- if they leave him in the backfield/flank he will rip up Devastator squads.

Captain Shooty McKillya

Artisan of War + combi-plasma

season to taste (though I'm leaning toward JP and Hammer of Baal)

Assuming that artisan affects both weapons in a combi at the same time (a question I mean to ask on facebook as soon as I get home from work)  and you're willing to risk the overheat he has the potential to do 5 damage a shooting phase, 10 if in rapid fire. Hammer makes him a decent threat in CC and JP makes it easier to intercept threats. The perfect babysitter for your gunline.

Eddie the Trooper - 107

Captain

Twin Lightning Claw

Jump Pack

Looks like he might get demoted back to Lt since the codex for using excessive violence to resolve everything or something...

business as usual for the flesh tearers https://i.imgur.com/j4yZKTE.jpg

I haven’t started yet, but here’s one I plan on experimenting with. The name came from the ‘Smashypants’ thread.

Slashy-pants

Jump captain

Twin lightning claws

Trait: artisan of war (if worth it vs opposing army)

Relic: angels wings

Death visions of Sanguinius strat if facing an army with a lot of chaff.

Good for both chaff and/or slightly heavier 2wound infantry like Primaris or nobs which can be decided at start of game. Try to get a sanguinary priest or brother corbulo nearby: hilarity ensues. 6 attacks hitting and wounding on 2+’s rerolling ones is just plain silly!

Edited by Paladin777

PlasmaTola Khomeini

Captain

Combi Plasma

Power sword

Artisan of War

This guy sits in the back with your devs and hellblasters in order to shore up the shooting line. He can also show up in a drop pod with sternguard/devs.

His trait gives his combi plasma +1, with 2 damage normally and 3 on the overcharge. 

Power sword in case anybody gets close, or in case he drops in close in a pod.

Also available in a melta version.

Captain Shooty McKillya

Artisan of War + combi-plasma

season to taste (though I'm leaning toward JP and Hammer of Baal)

Assuming that artisan affects both weapons in a combi at the same time (a question I mean to ask on facebook as soon as I get home from work)  and you're willing to risk the overheat he has the potential to do 5 damage a shooting phase, 10 if in rapid fire. Hammer makes him a decent threat in CC and JP makes it easier to intercept threats. The perfect babysitter for your gunline.

Just got a reply from warhammer 40,000 Facebook, and as of right now yes, artisan of War affects both halves of a combi weapon at the same time so if you fire both weapons at once both get the +1 damage! They also said they were going to ask the rules guys if this was intended so this may be a limited time thing...

• 1 month later...

For a shooty captain that I’m pretty sure is legal. I don’t have my codex, nor the index, with me.

Captain on bike with a Storm Bolter and close combat weapon of choice. 8 shots at 12” or 4 shots at 24 with a 14” movement. Substituting the Storm Bolter for a Combi-plasma Might yield good returns as well.

Edited by Paladin777