How to Leviathan Dreadnought...?

MoGuy

Greetings fellow Magi.

I need some insights into the Levi, his loadouts and playstyle. 

It is known that the Thousand Sons struggle a bit against vehicles/MCs. I've always loved the look of the Leviathan Dreadnought and I think he would be a fine addition to the army. 

Double Gravbombard would be the obvious way to go about dealing with vehicles. But there are a few things I find... "odd". 

First of all they only have an 18" range he won't be in range Turn 1 unless the enemy has parked his vehicles up front which is unlikely. Secondly he can't swap out his Hellflamers. Sure, they are nice for overwatch but to me they seem a bit like dead points unless he takes at least 1 claw/drill. 

But then the next problem would be for him to live long enough to get into melee. Sure he has an invul and is quite beefy but if I were my opponent I would focus fire him from Turn 1. 

So how do you play the big Dread? And if you give him a melee weapon, how do you get him into melee fast enough?

Greetings fellow Magi.

I need some insights into the Levi, his loadouts and playstyle. 

It is known that the Thousand Sons struggle a bit against vehicles/MCs. I've always loved the look of the Leviathan Dreadnought and I think he would be a fine addition to the army. 

Double Gravbombard would be the obvious way to go about dealing with vehicles. But there are a few things I find... "odd". 

First of all they only have an 18" range he won't be in range Turn 1 unless the enemy has parked his vehicles up front which is unlikely. Secondly he can't swap out his Hellflamers. Sure, they are nice for overwatch but to me they seem a bit like dead points unless he takes at least 1 claw/drill. 

But then the next problem would be for him to live long enough to get into melee. Sure he has an invul and is quite beefy but if I were my opponent I would focus fire him from Turn 1. 

So how do you play the big Dread? And if you give him a melee weapon, how do you get him into melee fast enough?

When I use them the first turn IS often just running.  Mine is grav-flux and a claw. 

Good in melee, usually stops charges, decent against hordes, great against tanks, very powerful for the points. 

first turn move, run, possibly a warp time, let the enemy waste shooting against it (T8, 4++, 2+ armor, 14 wounds) get it into melee and have it beat stuff down for 5++ regain of wounds. 

I have used mine a handful of times (4 or 5 i think) and it is very dangerous, and hard as hell to put down. 

I have one for my loyalists, built to chop with claw and drill (and magnetised HKs - just as well...). Now the grav-flux is in 40k that's probably a good shout but I get more use from pure punchy in my army and I think that Sons, also being less combat focused, would benefit the same. With a movement stat of 8" he's fairly swift and is durable requiring the enemy to devote some effort to stopping him. You pay for the privilege though but the model is great :)

I don't have trouble getting him into combat, but all my opponents out combat me and are keen to close the gap anyway. Otherwise advancing is an option but I'd probably move him up and pop smoke, as before he gets stomping is the best time for your opponent to tackle him so making that harder isn't a bad idea :P