How to paint Plague Marines like rotting teeth?

So this may sound like a strange question but it has a great story behind it. For the past few weeks one of my friends has been messaging our 40k group and constantly mispells plague marines as plaque marines. As a joke I acquired the DG half of DI and am planning to make a plaque marines themed deathguard army. Thus I need to know, if I wanted to paint up the marines to look like rotten teeth, I was planning to paint them to look like normal teeth first then to use washes and glazes to make them rotten. So now to the topic title: How would you lot go about painting marine armor to look like teeth?

Edited by Major_Gilbear

like Kizzdougs says (only cause he's from Melbourne,and we know only the coolest most hip painters are from here :biggrin.:  also if you ever say it it's pronounced "Mel-Burn")

also drill small to wide holes in the top most parts of the armour and add blackened damage to the inside crater part...Cavities for the Cavity god!! 

cheers,Mithril 

How about the standard 30k Death Guard scheme? It's a dirty white, and you could easily make it a bit yellower if you wanted to.

Here is a Death Guard scheme that I tried last year :)

Huh I might give that a try, although I think I'd use more of a yellow wash to get it to that yellowed teeth look, and then use nuln oil to give it "cavities"

One question though, how did you do the sponging stage and do you think that would help the overall look of teeth that I'm going for?

Edited by Marshal van Trapp

If you pull this off it will be the most awesomly horrific and most grim-dark scheme ever and I will never look at it. :)

Agree with the others, 30K Deathguard scheme.

Might I ask if you plan to include “gums”? I think that’s what will really sell the teeth look, although I’m not sure how you would achieve it. Maybe some creepy flesh-planet basing?

Edit: Xenith’s suggestion is good for the gums.

Edited by Corswain

How about the standard 30k Death Guard scheme? It's a dirty white, and you could easily make it a bit yellower if you wanted to.

Here is a Death Guard scheme that I tried last year :smile.:

Huh I might give that a try, although I think I'd use more of a yellow wash to get it to that yellowed teeth look, and then use nuln oil to give it "cavities"

One question though, how did you do the sponging stage and do you think that would help the overall look of teeth that I'm going for?

The Seraphim Sepia is pretty yellow, I just toned it down by painting over it and only leaving the wash in the recesses. If you wanted to keep it pretty uellow, just make sure that more of the Sepia is showing.

I decided to use sponging because it creates a more textured and natural look. It's definitely not essential. It could be replaced with dry-brushing if you're more comfortable with that technique. 

If you're completely unfamiliar with sponging check out this Youtube video :)

Unhealthy gums have this deep red, almost... squishy look to them. (Google at your own risk, it's gross!)

You could put plaque at the recesses off the armor, either by painting some yellow there, or maybe some yellowish weathering powder.

I'd agree with the heresy style armour. I just started an army with this scheme and It should work.

dDOjQON.jpg

That was done with:
Basecoat of Ceramite white.
Wash of Seraphim Sepia mixed with Lahmium medium
then I painted seraphim into the deepest recesses
drybrush with White Scar.
Typhus corrossion into any of the holes.

for plaque marines I would say to add some orange for gingivitis too :smile.:

Also, (sorry to be off-topic) Hi mithrilforge and Kizzdougs, didn't realise there was any other Melbourne folk active on here :smile.: Edited by brettfp