Amazing, thank you Frater for the awesome comments. That's great you appreciate like my work, especially here where so many great painters and hobbyists share their work.

This is a great motivation in this time of doubt - due to a combination of circumstances (lot's of 'real life' responsibilities and my dissatisfaction with the current state of the game and the universe, as well as to some extent the issue of Primaris), I'm struggling to enjoy the 'hobby experience' as much as I've done one or two years ago. If you're interested in my thoughts on the matter and the reason for my negativity and lack of drive, I've posted an extensive reply here.

For now, I will continue on with the Crusade and keep updating this thread, hopefully more frequently!

Some more Crusaders for you. These well painted for the last ETL, but I realised that I never took proper photos of the finished miniatures.

94U9IY4.jpg

Custom standard bearer (the model unfortunately turned out to quite dumb):

kHTuz8O.jpg

cOufqA7.jpg

Gl7j2xZ.jpg

BAV6QoF.jpg

A close-up on the custom, master-crafter bullpup boltgun:

tpvq2f9.jpg

And the banner showing my Marshal's personal heraldry:

tmdaxJL.jpg

Kitbashed Apothecary:

k310Zr5.jpg

UVFr5y0.jpg

r9tfMhj.jpg

And the OOP Power Axe Captain:

FCZF9xD.jpg

nircR2t.jpg

LQrhhqo.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Imperial Fists subforum hosts a painting event for which I pledged to paint five metal Vanguard Veterans. Since I have made considerable progress on the models, I decided to update this WIP thread as well.

http://i.imgur.com/LGDsSPV.jpg

More images available on imgur.

Thank you as always, Bjorn! A small update on the Vanguard Squad - they're painted (I'll do the bases for these models, as well as other marines I've recently painted in the spring when the weather is better for priming and sealing miniatures with canned spray).

lvCdr0L.jpg

7OLpiIb.jpg

ZqBckH6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quite the collection you have there. I see there’s still a few models un painted, but you’ve got more done than I do, so I guess I should keep my mouth shut

Regrettably, there more than a few models unpainted. The army shots from the previous page don't include Neophytes/Scouts, Terminators, Bikes and vehicles... So the scope of the problem, and my pile of shame (because it's an unpainted army) or pride (because it's a nice army), remains considerable. But that's the consequence of being immature with regard to the hobby and getting past the student days and, in consequence, enjoying an adult's budget ;) However, once I stopped buying new stuff (around the release of Primaris Marines) I've managed to get to a point where roughly half of the stuff I have is painted.

Your models are well-posed, painted, and weathered. Will you leave their bases blank, or decorate them some way?

As always, thank you Bjorn!! The bases will be decorated - old-school sand, grass and shrubs. But I'm postponing basing the models for a free weekend with some nice weather, so that I can safely varnish the minis first - I've heard it's not recommended to seal models with static grass and turfs on using rattle can varnish due to frosting.

Great to find such a nice army! I really like the way you upgrade your models. And that you paint both sides of the banners :smile.:

Keepy it up, countryman!

Thanks mate! Hopefully the army will get nicer and nicer as I plough through my backlog.

If you ever happen to be in Wrocław, PM me - we could arrange a friendly game or something.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Welcome back, brothers!

Since the idea for this thread was to post photos of photo-worthy progress, since the last update there wasn't much to report on that front. I spent most of 2020 scratchbuilding my Thunderhawk; this year, I have been working on my backlog - the too-many models in different states of disrepair. Over the last month-and-a-half, I have been sorting things out with my 50+ Terminators and I finally have something to show!

JBzmUL5.jpg

Since 85% of my unpainted Terminators are second-hand, the vast majority of the time devoted to these models was spent on restoring them to a semi-usable state. Luckily, I think it was worth the effort!

After assembling the models, I proceeded with adding details and individual flavour to the Crusade's veterans; here are some examples:

RJAHm06.jpg

48aggab.jpg

K5oHJF2.jpg

VFzSKwz.jpg

m63i551.jpg

uK4trqM.jpg

7jSod9p.jpg

lm7gLm9.jpg

w5D1l4T.jpg

5LQsC8t.jpg

3qJoQlb.jpg

Since I'm back on track with working through my official backlog (the unofficial backlog consists of my plasticard projects), I shall be updating this thread more often.

While I'm not completely sold on the name "Firstborn", I added the word to the thread title to indicate that I am not expecting to add Primaris to my collection. While I like the new proportions and really appreciate some of the new models, as it stands now, I have still far too many unassembled and unpainted models for my liking. Additionally, I think that I couldn't stand the size difference within my collection. Without going any further into my thoughts and feelings on the subject, welcome to this Fristborn haven!

Edited by Brother Cristopher

Thank you Kyknos for browsing through this thread! I do hope to keep up the work I'm doing and, after around 10 years, finish the army project; most of the things you mentioned (conversions, freehands) is a matter of age, I suppose ;) Back when I started, 3D printers and a broad selection of fancy bits was limited. Oh, and the philosophy behind codexes and other materials published by GW was different, with conversions showcased in Codexes and the inspiring How To Paint Space Marines (from 2004, I think). I wanted to copy some of the things I saw there and continued ever since.

If I may ask where did you get your chain for the terminator? Great looking poses I can’t wait to see what you do with these guys all painted up! Keep up the great work :)

I got it years ago from a 'proper' hobby store with modelling supplies (no sci-fi or wargames, just 'serious stuff' - modelling material, glues, paints, military stuff and model trains). The dimensions of the links, according to what's printed on the string bag I got the chain in, are 1.35x1.65 mm. I imagine these should be widely available in such stores. When it comes to internationally available outlets, I think I've seen Green Stuff World sell hobby chains, if that's of any help.

This progress is looking good brother...and I agree that I'm not sold on the term "firstborn", but I guess it is the hand that GW has dealt so we will soldier on.  I still prefer them (and the heresy marines), whatever they are called.  :biggrin.:

Anyway, good to see your progress - the thing about second-hand models is that most anything can be considered battle-damage, so that is fine.  And of course, it lends itself the chance to work with the green stuff, which you have done very well.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results.  Nice work thus far. 

Thank you Kyknos for browsing through this thread! I do hope to keep up the work I'm doing and, after around 10 years, finish the army project; most of the things you mentioned (conversions, freehands) is a matter of age, I suppose :wink: Back when I started, 3D printers and a broad selection of fancy bits was limited. Oh, and the philosophy behind codexes and other materials published by GW was different, with conversions showcased in Codexes and the inspiring How To Paint Space Marines (from 2004, I think). I wanted to copy some of the things I saw there and continued ever since.

I remember the conversions in third edition codices , but whatever the reasons, I applaud you for your greenstuff skills!

Edited by Kyknos of Athena