The Imperial Guard of the Kharaa System

Chris521

• 1 month later...

NOT MY WORK

Here is the second part of my udate, done by Den of Imagination.  Basically, a few years back, I went and bought WAY to many kits. I when looking for someone to paint them an d I found DOI.  These kits are are all heavily magnetized. 

uLRgMsB.jpg

rPfsUFY.jpg

zOparJ6.jpg

Ie3XoVW.jpg

uG1E1WL.jpg

KdNmETy.jpg

HEUNIx2.jpg

NvJDzIy.jpg

LyxkBCz.jpg

nCL76zn.jpg

Lo0epY0.jpg

QQDy39O.jpg

Also, here is a little preview of an infantry order that is in progress.

GdpHIJt.jpg

Note that this is not the finished product.  We are just figuring out the exact color scheme

Edited by Chris521

• 4 months later...

At some point I'll get around to giving updates on my own work, but I'm finalizing that Den of imagination order now and they've supplied this photo Gallery and video

http://www.denofimagination.com/gallery/5b3de5ff2b57d10004f250b0/5b3dee9d2b57d10004f250d4

Here are some highlights:

55MgeLE.jpg

X1dli9D.jpg

Uytxurb.jpg

g6L95ZO.jpg

YmN40jJ.jpg

jJxbAaC.jpg

rcdinda.jpg

There are some minor things that I'm going to have them address.  One being the camo scheme on the commanders.  There is camo on the sleeves but not on the coat.  I don't know a whole lot about military clothes, but I'm pretty sure all of that is part of the same coat.  The follow up decision would be should they have camo not?

Overall I'm very happy with what they've come up with.  Any thoughts?

When they arrive, I'll be taking some of my own photos which will give a better impression of how they look in person. 

Edited by Chris521

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am now in possession of everything I've had done by Den of Imagination and would like to share the pictures.  The story here is that in the last 5 years, I bought WAY too many models.  As you can see from the rest of this thread, I've built up quite a sizable army on my own and despite the fact that I have barely purchased any models for over 2 years now, I still had this stuff to send to them.  If your familiar with the DOI painting levels, Most of the models are painted on "level 4" and the named characters and the non guard models are on "level 5".

Just to be clear-

The following is not my work.  I commissioned Den of Imagination to assemble and paint everything I'm about to show.

First off the main picture.  This has every model I've had them do.  Not pictured is the absurd amount of magnetized bitz.  Really, basically every vehicle is fully magnetized and half the infantry is magnetized with the ability to take most of the weapons options.  If  you where trying to get your hands on Guard special weapons from ebay in the first half of 2017... sorry I took them all.

wnTHxgH.jpg

Next we have some characters

G9fprh4.jpg?1

Company Commander and Standard

IZTR84X.jpg?1

First platoon

8HdltnC.jpg?1

Second Platoon

AtUkaqx.jpg?1

Third Platoon

J3D4Dve.jpg?1

Pask and Tank Commanders

mpDnXJP.jpg?1

Sentinels, Hydra/Wyverns

ZU4e2QA.jpg?2

Hellhounds

O7ghf9q.jpg?1

BaneBlades (OctoBlades)

37iNbh1.jpg?1

Leman Russes

P0S3pDH.jpg?1

Bonus Deathwatch Kill team Cassius

jBs8T6A.jpg?1

and Assasins

wriK6DU.jpg?1

My wallet will need a bit of a break after this, but eventually I'd like to have them fill in a few holes in the lineup.  Some artillery, flyers, and some storm troopers would be nice

It does look amazing though and even though it wasn't you doing the work its certainly a commission piece(s) you can be proud of!

Many people with that size collection would go for the basic table top standard, this you can tell theres some love behind ;) 

I like DoI, they seem to be doing a lot of VM stuff lately :) The not Valhallan commission they posted up not long ago looked amazing

So when are the batreps coming? :D 

• 1 month later...

Something a little different in this update.  First though, I bit the bullet and commissioned DOI to do some artillery units.  It's a much smaller order this time around, but it was a pretty big hole in the army.  I'll post another overall picture when I get them.

I'm currently working on 2 major projects.  This first is my deathwatch army and the other is tabletop scenery.  I've got an amazing place to play games, I'm just not very well equipped to do so.  A couple years ago, I bought two of the imperial sector kits to remedy that.  Unfortunately,  I never got around to building them until now.

zH1HTuC.jpg?1

To eliminate ambiguity,  I always want bases for my scenery.  First off I made a few of these out of foam board.

zEW4eCD.jpg?1

kMOTCW8.jpg?1

tXGZcVk.jpg?1

I was pretty happy with those, but I'm not going to do anymore like that because I went and learned some new techniques when I went to make some Scatter terrain forests.  Given how "Kharra" is supposed to have lots of forests, I really needed trees.

r6Rhhyl.jpg?1

h82wosG.jpg?1

These are modeled with foam and drywall Spackle.  Most of the the trees were purchased completed.  I have attempted to make my own ( the two smaller ones in the middle were mine), but I have to say that getting that clump foliage to stay on was one of the most frustrating things I've come across in this hobby.  The pre-made ones aren't that much more expensive and they actually stay together. 

Now that I've learned how to make better looking landscapes, I'm going to use this technique for the buildings.  I'm also planning on making some dense tree strips that will act as shot blockers rather than cover.  After that, I'm hoping to look into some more exotic looking foliage.

It was pretty easy after the first one.  On the first one I basically used a really cheap Spackle made by 3m from amazon.  That stuff didn't really work out went I was working with the trees since it collapsed in on me.  I them went out and bought some made by DAP which I could tell was much denser.

Basically,  I glued some pieces of Styrofoam to the foam board.  For example,  you can see that the one on the right has two little hill with a small channel in the center.  Those hills are where the Styrofoam is.

Then I took the spackle and smeared it all over.  I then stuck in the tree stumps and rocks.  To get the basic shape of the terrain,  I used a piece of foam board to smooth the edges (think like icing a cake).  Then I used my hands to round out the shape a bit.  I also made sure to give it several days to harden.  I kept and eye on it over this period and whenever I saw a crack forming I would take a sponge and smooth it out.  Though if you where considering using texture paints perhaps the cracks could be desirable?  For my stuff, the spackle was just for shape.  I then glued sand to it and sealed it really well. ( first with Spray Primer then with several coats of PVA and Brown paint.)  Then it's dry brushing, flock and trees.

I pressed the tile pattern into the interior and cut of some pieces

iaKtaDz.jpg?1

I then dropped in the spackle.  It was a little more difficult on this one since they wern't simple mounds.

RdAxXko.jpg?1

I'm going to give it at least a week to harden, but over that time period I'll be cleaning and smoothing the surface up.

So I went ahead and did the next leg for the terrain piece.  I also got another one going aswell.

I sanded the the spackle down

JxpdJ2T.jpg?1

Then glued the sand to it

ZlCkuZV.jpg?1

zY6AQuL.jpg?1

vaTpOzn.jpg?1

Then sealed it with a coat of spray primer

NBzmU1S.jpg?1

Then gave it 2 coats of a PVA/brown paint mix to seal it even more.

NxcNmi6.jpg?1

Vvw1s8p.jpg?1

Here are some pictures of the other building.  I actually started painting this one before I decided to base it this way so I have to go back and clean up some bits.

0mOYR8P.jpg?1

uJT5brq.jpg?1

DiKXlfk.jpg?1

I still need to to paint/drybrush the floors and ground, put on the flock, and paint the building itself.

• 10 months later...

I can't believe it's been this long since I've updated this thread.  I have half a dozen different projects going, and that's just Warhammer.  I haven't actually gotten around to finishing those buildings, but I've been putting a lot of my time into my deathwatch and have also done some Tyranids and Necromunda.  Me being an idiot,  I've also been thinking about an Age of Sigmar army, though I'm waiting to see what the upcoming book does, because I want to use a bunch of classic Dwarfs.

Between the stuff I've painted and the huge army I've commissioned from Den of Imagination, there wasn't that much more I could possibly need.  When I last posted I had commissioned them to fill the last few gaps in my army and we are finally wrapping that project up.  Something I would like to stress is that it is 100% my fault that It's taken so long.

Here is the link they sent me

https://www.denofimagination.com/gallery/5d830caef09e7d00043ea374/5d830d58f09e7d00043ea39d

This order is meant to round out my artillery, get a bunch of characters, and get some Bullgryns.  There are 9 bullgryns, one bodyguard, and Nork.  All except Nork have their weapons magnetized.  One of the things I had them do is give them some berets, though as you can see, the bullgryns don't really understand the concept of how berets work.

Though I may completely ignore it when it comes to design decisions, feel free to point out any issues you see with the commission.  This is the time to correct things.

When I get the order,  I'll gather up everything and post more pictures of the entire army.