Good Bases for Custodes?

thymidine

I was looking for ideas for my own custodes to use in both 30k and 40k and this came up

I went over the dragonforge website first because #rfimebust but seeing the base started with a once over I might actaully spend about 60$ on bases

I'm definitely going to go for Dark Arts' "Imperial palace" bases. Look absolutely great and only £3,50 for 5.

I'm glad to see someone else liked them! I'm thinking of doing a white floor with gold inlay though, but I'm not sure how well that will match up to the look of the Custodes. Does anyone know off the top of their head what color the floor of the actual Imperial Palace is?

Nice to see people interested in the "Imperial palace" bases, you guys should do what I've done and tell Dark art miniatures on Facebook that you want the jetbike bases, I've told them and the more people that show interest might increase the likelihood of it happening. 

The marbling is a great idea - but as is it doesn't really offset from the model itself that well. Simple fixes would be adding some whiter threads into the marbling and/or really glossing it up once the model is done and sealed. More "start over" I'd say reverse the colors: a medium grey shot through with dark grey/black.

Exactly :smile.: That would give you the framing contrast and the dark marbling to tie-in.

ETA: Cross-posting! Yeah, the black marbling is fab for the gold guys. And mixed marbles in a force I think would look good, as different marbles are used together pretty often.

Edited by wildweasel

I have a bunch of Sector Imperialis bases I was going to use for one of my Marine armies - but I think I'm going to go with a Martian sort of terrain for my Dark Angels so perhaps I'll use those for my Custodes.  I just need to give some thought to what sorts of colors I'll use - something that makes the gold armor stand out but still ties the room together.

What do you guys think about this for a base?

http://i.imgur.com/dcdkEAa.jpg

I love the black marble effect. Actually I would try to paint in a different color the side of the base, to make the marble to be more on sight.

PS: Can I ask you how you made that marble?

You can buy marble patterned film for absolutely dirt cheap on eBay if you can't be bothered/can't paint the marble pattern. Talking about £3 for a roll that would do you entire army.

Haha ya i have failed at marble sooo many times

I think I prefer the white. The black looks nice, but looks odd blending in the with the black side of the base. Maybe a different color along the side could make it look more distinct?

Another idea that may add a little realism, perhaps instead of one circular piece of the marble, cut it or groove it so it looks like multiple tiles/slabs fitted together. Perhaps even painting thin black lines could give the same effect. May add some easy variation to the bases once you're doing it on the army-wide level.