Primarch's series: best so far?

Charlo

So I've got an Audible token to use up, so which is the best Primarch's story thus far?

OR if you think there are better stories on Audible, happy for any other 40k/ 30k suggestions :smile.: (Praetorian of Dorn any good?)

....To avoid suggestions I have already listened to in 30k/ 40k, I've already made it through:

• Talon of Horus & Black Legion
  • Watchers of the Throne
  • Betrayer
  • Aurelian
  • Scars
  • Path of Heaven
  • Angels of Caliban
  • Ruinstorm
  • Mechanicum
  • Horus Rising
  • False Gods
  • Flight of Eisenstein
  • First Heretic
  • Master of Mankind
Edited by Charlo

Out of all of them so far, Perturabo was the best, However I am a die hard Iron Warriors fan. How the characters and subplots came across, How Perturabo was managed. It was bloody fantastic.

Leman Russ is a close second atm.

Same here abd I'm a Wolves fan.

Leman Russ gives us magnificant Russ ans Johnson. I love it!

But Perturabo is just another league itself.

So far, Perturabo is the best to come out of the Primarchs to me. I thought Leman Russ was also very good, though.

From 40k: Watchers of the ThroneHelsreach, Dante and Fabiius Bile: Primogenitor all seem to be up on Audible, and I'd recommend any of them.

From 30k: Praetorian of Dorn is easy to recommend, especially if you wanted to know more about the Imperial Fists and/or Alpha Legion. But mostly the Alpha Legion, honestly. If you have not checked out Legion first, though, it might be worth giving that a shot and saving PoD for later.

I've enjoyed them all, but I have to say that I felt Guilliman's book was the weakest of the series so far. 

If you have a favourite amongst the Primarchs with a story already released go for that one, otherwise just pick any one. You'll probably end up reading them all at some stage anyway :P

Purturabo reads differently than any Black Library novel I can remember reading. It feels almost staccato, bumpy, or something. Like someone’s first attempt to write creatively, which isn’t possible because GH wrote it. It just doesn’t read like his stuff in Pharos or any other story I’ve read by him.

Had the same feeling while reading it the first time.

By the second time, I really imagined the world of Olympia and I loved it. ;)

Trust us, it will get better.

I’m using my audible credits to reread the heresy which has been fun.....until I get sidetracked which will probably happen soon.

As an aside I picked up Neil Gaiman Norse Mythology for 99p this week! Which was awesome on audible. A must for 40k fans surely!

Lorgar and Perturabo are the only two from the Primarch series worthy of note so far. They are excellent, but the rest vary from Russ at pretty good to Magnus & Fulgrim being a steady ok to Gulliman a typically awful Annandale offering of boredom and rubbish.

It has to be Perturabo followed by Leman Russ closely. Lorgar was good but it was less about Lorgar and more about Kor Phoraen vs another character with Lorgar nothing but a pawn.

Perturabo gives you exact details as to why he is as he is. The controversy in his mind. He also gets a very good presence in Magnus the Red novel. I really can't say much, as with Perturabo and everything he does, every details matters. Things a normal human wipes away as nothing, Perturabo remembers.

Edit: okay one spoiler, that scenery you grow bored of in first chapter comes into play near the end. Again every detail matters with Perturabo.

Leman Russ shows the more hidden side of the SWs. Once you take away the barbaric persona the put up toward everyone else. It shows the respect and brotherly love between Lion and Russ, and not the twisted hatred we often put between the two.

Edited by Caldersson

maybe it's because of the overall negative feedback i read here, so i went in un-hyped, but i quite liked the guilliman entry in this series. i found the conflict within the nemesis chapter really interesting (though i would have liked even more) and the mystery behind the lost culture of thaos hooked me 

maybe it's because of the overall negative feedback i read here, so i went in un-hyped, but i quite liked the guilliman entry in this series. i found the conflict within the nemesis chapter really interesting (though i would have liked even more) and the mystery behind the lost culture of thaos hooked me 

Yeah, the Destroyers and the lost culture were both interesting, but apart from a few interactions with Marius Gage we didn't learn to much about Guilliman himself, which was a shame.