Primarch's series: best so far?

Charlo

Well, Icarion did always strike me as the reserved sort.

Also Fulgrim's interactions with Jaghatai certainly suggest that he viewed quieter brothers as being standoffish out of arrogance - perhaps fearing/assuming they thought they were too good for him.

Didn’t Jaghatai think he could beat Fulgrim in a sword duel. Is that arrogance?

I'm quite sure Russ wasn't unique in thinking he could take anyone but Horus, hell, Alpharius thought he could take out Dorn 1-v-1. Arrogance, malicious or otherwise, is a pretty inherent trait of primarchs, I wouldn't have been surprised if Jaghatai was completely serious. Flattery or not, Mortarion's comments in Scars even adds some credence to his ability.

now i’m wondering how many duels that would actually be? unless we count practise or sparring with his brothers...how much opportunity would there have been for fulgrim to duel? maybe a particularly big ork? a phoenix lord? surely it’s omce in a blue moon. otherwise i can’t see too much fencing going down between fulgrim and any human opponents during the gc

and does the palatine phoenix give any idea on why fulgrim eventually moved away from passive subjugation of planets?

I thought Fulgrim was phenomonal. Could be the best one yet...yea, I know each one seems better than the last, but this one was downright excellent. I can't really find a major gripe with it in any way. That's quite the compliment, coming from me.

Full thoughts here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336201-primarch-book-6-fulgrim/?p=4985150

Managed to forget to cancel my second Audible Sub again so looks like I'm getting another BL book!

I just picked up Russ but have 2 credits left to play with.

Open to all suggestions...!

To reiterate, I've listened to these already:

• Talon of Horus & Black Legion
  • Watchers of the Throne
  • Betrayer
  • Aurelian
  • Scars
  • Path of Heaven
  • Angels of Caliban
  • Ruinstorm
  • Mechanicum
  • Horus Rising
  • False Gods
  • Flight of Eisenstein
  • First Heretic
  • Master of Mankind
  • Perturabo

edit for clarity

just finished crimson king...some enjoyable stuff...but for the love of muffins...please...no. more. foreshadowing

still thinking about this. types of foreshadowing we can avoid in future:

* armour of a pre traitor astartes conveniently getting covered in the colour of his post fall legion era (via shadows, blood, dirt, dust or whatever)

* an early crusade astartes of a destined-to-be-traitor legion freaking the eff out when confronted with the idea of an astartes fighting one another.

* a pre fall thousand son turning to dust or mumbling something about dust.

other stuff, like literal flash forwards of the iron warriors as traitors was fine

Edited by mc warhammer

Ive been a big fan of the Primarch series so far, well, except Guilliman which was a bit tedious.

I think Lorgar is probably my favourite, it genuinely had me thinking "Lorgar nooo!" when his mentors went head to head. But i just finished Fulgrim and that was also preposterously good, plus it had Pyke... :D 

Finished Fulgrim this morning, and it was very good. Pretty good balance of his positive and negative qualities in my opinion, definitely shows that his strive for perfection comes from a good place initially. He still has his pride, but it’s tempered at this stage, compared to when he falls. I also liked the small snippets of Fabius back then, before he was mad scientist clonelord Fabius later on. He’s not far off really, but he’s not there yet. Abdemon is cool too, as is Pyke, the diplomat.

Would definitely recommend it.

Fulgrim is ranking #1 for me right now since it really makes you yearn for the “what could have been” if the heresy had not happened and/or he did not go traitor. That’s the stuff, right there!

Listening to audiobook of Roboute Guilliman now. Halfway through. Can confidentally say it’s the worst of the entire series, even with 15+ more to come. This is everything I hate about RG and GW’s apparent belief that everything I (we?) hate about RG is what makes 40k awesome <face palm>.

riding into battle and stopping to spout off some line to be immortalized in a tome on How to Do Da Fightin’ is not only boring as :cuss and distracting from what’s actually going on, it’s downright unrealistic.

It’s like a QB in the Super Bowl taking a knee in the huddle and rattling off quotes he wants in his memoirs. Just no.

Edited by Indefragable

Fulgrim is ranking #1 for me right now since it really makes you yearn for the “what could have been” if the heresy had not happened and/or he did not go traitor. That’s the stuff, right there!

Listening to audiobook of Roboute Guilliman now. Halfway through. Can confidentally say it’s the worst of the entire series, even with 15+ more to come. This is everything I hate about RG and GW’s apparent belief that everything I (we?) hate about RG is what makes 40k awesome <face palm>.

riding into battle and stopping to spout off some line to be immortalized in a tome on How to Do Da Fightin’ is not only boring as :cuss and distracting from what’s actually going on, it’s downright unrealistic.

It’s like a QB in the Super Bowl taking a knee in the huddle and rattling off quotes he wants in his memoirs. Just no.

You are blessed indeed with a righteous hatred of all that is foul and impure. Culture your hate and focus it on the dread bore Gulliman.

The only good thing about this guys return to 40k is that they might kill him off along with anymore stories about him.

The primarchs book on Gulliman was always going to be a disaster with GWs most boring writer teamed with their most boring Primarch.

That’s a very good point that I didn’t mention (and maybe didn’t realise until I read your post) but I definitely felt a twinge of something when I was reading it about what a tragedy the heresy really is, which I haven’t felt often lately reading the books.

Guilliman is also far more grumpy since coming back which has made him more interesting. His Primarch book was absolutely awful.

Yes, his efficiency in administration and rule work far better when it comes into conflict with the deep stagnancy and corruption of the 41st millennium. In the more optimistic times of 30k, it just feels uninteresting.

Also, the Gulliman book was just poorly written. I can't even remember anything we learned about him?