Lieutenant Builds - 8th edition

Chaplain Gunzhard

Figured I'd start a thread for this since I'm wondering myself... I'm planning a [warlord] Lieutenant accompanying the SG to give them to-Hit rerolls and to-Wound rerolling 1's. Thoughts on best builds?

I truly hate aura buffs for assault units but I think with the relic JP it might work. What do you guys think?

Boltgun/power sword for me I think unless this thread sways me otherwise. I'm not sure I'd play him as my Warlord or give him a relic though, would rather the Sanguinary Ancient in that role with the Banner of Sacrifice doing the same thing + more for a few more points. I see a Lieutenant helping out my DC more than the SG. Edited by NTaW

Dunno, I'd do the exact same thing with a Lieutenant I'd do with a captain just with a smaller focus on smashing big stuff himself due no invul and rather a bigger focus on supporting a melee unit with his aura and/or smashing stuff that can't hurt him as much.

So basically keeping him cheap and mobile.

I'll second the ancient over the lieutenant for Sanguinary Guard.

He gives effectively the same buff (reroll 1s to wound in the Fight Phase only, but you aren't taking SG for their shooting)

And then you can go with the relic banner, as SG really do love having a 5+++.

I'd probably go with either a plasma or inferno pistol, and Encarmine Axe.

Maybe a power fist if you don't run many in the unit he will be buffing.

I suspect you are perhaps setting yourself up for further heartache on the travelling unit support bubble thang if you are planning to drop alot in man.

You can tail back a LT (unlike a banner) tho if you want to put the relic on a capt or something elsewhere with a larger squad.

That said, having them meet up on the table is also possible and the LT can be pretty easy to hide while perhaps buffing units on the way up.

Consider a JP Librarian, perhaps unleash rage and wings of sanguinius forward with his warlord SG buff would work instead of an LT?

Can put the LT and Relic elsewhere that way also if that appeals?

I am loosey planning: (so ya know where my head is)

Capt Smash with Angel wing. (for threat and optional fire eating daring do)

Jump Pack or foot LT with probably just a power ax.

Jump Librarian or perhaps Libby Dread warlord.

Some Razorbacks and decent boys to advance amongst and buff along the way. Also some scouts etc.

Smaller VV and SG unit(s) in 2nd / 3rd turn reserve for the opportunity services is my thinking.

Just some thoughts, I am no expert and will prolly get my ass shot off the table while over thinking things =)

Damned codex better arrive in the mail on the morrow, think my theory is somewhat solid from the spoils tho...

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

Can the Lt take a storm shield?

I probably wouldn't make an Lt beatstick my warlord if not - too squishy. Keep them for combat and make a priest the warlord or something.

Maybe a sanguinary ancient warlord and Lt thunder hammerer?

I'd go thunder hammer/combi melta or twin claws.

The reason to make him the Warlord is so the SG can also reroll to-Hit rolls (which the ancient+banner does not give); I'd also argue that the SG with angelus bolters do actually quite a bit of shooting, and he could also take the Angels Wing relic to actually keep up (unlike the ancient)... but the very obvious downside I completely missed is you then have a warlord that's easy to kill hah - no he cannot take a storm shield.

Ok gonna rethink this one.

If you make the sanguinary ancient the warlord though...

You have one super Buffy character that can hang back and a disposable beat stick.

Ok, this is why I love this forum... totally didn't even occur to me that the Ancient could be the warlord.

You have one super Buffy character that can hang back and a disposable beat stick.

Ok, this is why I love this forum... totally didn't even occur to me that the Ancient could be the warlord.

:lol: swear I said that in the first comment.

:laugh.: swear I said that in the first comment.

Ha I see it now, but I wasn't even registering that the Ancient could be warlord when you posted...

I pair my Sanguinary Guard with The Sanguinor as the warlord. Besides the fluff based choices, the +1 A aura really helps the Sanguinary Guard dish out more punishment, which they don't do too well unsupported.

Having the Lieutenant as the warlord in high points games just seems like giving up slay the warlord to me, given the how the level of shenanigans increases exponentially at the 2k mark.

Edited by Brother_Mike

I really like the idea of rerolling 1s to wound paired with stuff wounding on 2s already like Charlo says. I like anything that gives me as close to a guaranteed wound as possible.

Taking as much randomness out of the game as possible is huge to me and my terrible rolling..

Edit: I went with JP, PF, and bolter on my "sword of Sanguinius" Lt. and just chainsword and MC bolter on the "grail of Sanguinius" one or whatever the codex describes them as... arms are magnetized just in case. One camps with the gun line, the other jumps around with the Capt and smashes stuff.

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Am I being daft or something? How can the sanguinary ancient be the warlord when he isn't a hq choice?

Any Character can be your Warlord, not just your HQ choices.

If you want a Warlord trait that is. If you don't care about that, any model can be your warlord.

Well. Let's think about this. I don't want to put him in with a bunch of people that are shooting, because I don't believe his buff is as powerful as a captain, for instance. So I don't see him sitting back with hellblasters or devs.

I could see him going in with DC and stuff, but you'll already probably have a chaplain (Lemartes) in there for the fight buff. Also, with red thirst the Lt. may be a little redundant because you'll be wounding on an easier roll anyway.

No, for my Lt. build he's going to have a very specific roll. Flamer squad buffer.

Lt. Crispin McXenosBurner

CombiFlamer

Powersword

Rhino (I can't recall how many models can ride along, 10/12. Tailor the size of your squad as needed).

Full squad Devastators 4X heavy flamer, Sgt. with Combiflamer/chainsword, Cherubin, 5X marines.

or

Full tactical squad, heavy flamer, Sgt. with combiflamer/chainsword, special weapon flamer, 7X marines.

Rhino overcharges/advances. Turn two disembark +3 inches, ignite, if close enough one marine throws frag grenade.

Flamers auto-hit, reroll nasty 1s to wound.

Cook Emperor-mellos/S'mores on the burning pyre of Xenos.

For real fun, take 2 x MSUs of double heavy flamer devs, double tactical flamer squads, or a combination of both.

Just noticed the Primaris Lieutenant can't have a Stalker Bolter...too bad, with a to-wound re-roll, even if it's just the 1s, is the only case I could ever imagine that weapon to be worthwhile.

Am I being daft or something? How can the sanguinary ancient be the warlord when he isn't a hq choice?

Any Character can be your Warlord, not just your HQ choices.

If you want a Warlord trait that is. If you don't care about that, any model can be your warlord.

Any MODEL can be your Warlord. If you nominate a CHARACTER as your warlord that model gains a warlord trait. This means that random guardsman 6,275 can have the distict honor of being your warlord and gain the coveted cocentric circles to bear into the battle...much to the chagrin of his friends.