Why do you play your army?

Beams

I was wondering about this the other day. There are some armies that I instantly get the appeal of (Guard, Sisters, Orks, Space Wolves), and some armies that I just don't understand (like Nurgle, Vannilla Space Marines), so I was wondering what makes everyone play the armies that they play?

For example, I play sisters because I love the space Catholic aesthetic, as exemplified by the exorcist's organ rocket launcher.

I play all scouts, originally it started as more of a dare.

In 2008 C:SM 5th ed was released and IIRC they brought out new scout units like scout bikes and land speeder storms.

Board member Cadarn suggested that it might be possible to run an all scout force, many said it was folly, but the idea drilled its way into my skull.

And ive been obsessed ever since, like an addiction I cant quit.

Plus I love the background, theme and aesthetics

I love Nurgle even way before I even considered collecting minis. I was somewhat familiar with WFB and 40K lore and I always thought that if I ever collected models, a Nurgle-themed army would be one of my main choices. Then the 8th edition and the Death Guard showed up and turned out I had money I could spend so... here I am!

Ok, but why Nurgle, though? I have always loved monsters and creepy creatures so the first thing that attracted me about Warhammer (Fantasy, actually) were it's illustrations for the different factions that had creepy creatures in them: the Skaven, the Beastmen, the Tomb Lords and, of course, Chaos. Chaos are the big bad boys of Warhammer so Reading about the 4 deities is inevitable but for me it was a given. Tzeench has very nice-looking daemons, Khorne's seemed to me like a more classical take on demons, I just didn't like the creatures I saw of Slaanesh in the codexes (there are so many cool concepts explored in the novels/fluff that I feel are not used in the TT nor in the Codexes so I didn't know any better) and then there is Papa Nurgle.

Nurgle is creepy and terrifying as a god of plagues and decay but then, he is also referred to as Father, Grandfather and other loving terms. There's also a certain cuteness to creatures such as the Nurglings and the happy smiles of the poxwalkers in both the models and artwork that make me smile every time I look at them. I also love how his followers are described as joyous. 

As for the Iron Warriors, fell in love with them Reading their fluff and BL novels.

I used to be an Eldar player, pretty exclusively. Played them because I loved Psykers. Played wraith-themed armies because I loved that theme. I loved that they were essentially undead. "I'm playing undead Undead!" Would make me giggle about it every time. It was all about happy, fun, good-natured shenanigans.

When I gave my Eldar army to my fiance, because she loved playing them too, I picked up Space Marines. Loved playing them because of the sheer versatility. Didn't matter what they faced - bring it on, they can still do it. That immense versatility held me until very recently.

Despite having been playing the tabletop for about 3-4 years now, I can only now honestly say that I am beginning to mature as a 40k player. Before, my armies were acquired haphazardly. I had too much money to appreciate the process. It was just about the playing of the game, the fun of the dice, nothing more. In that time, I've grown to appreciate the modelling. The story behind the game. The how and the why of what I put together. "What army do I identify as?" is a question that has gained importance.

So that's why I've picked up the Imperial Guard, with the Slaanesh Daemons as my second army. The Slaanesh Daemons are for the art - I intend to craft contest quality miniatures for each model. I play them for their lightning fast tactics and the melee focus, so as to provide a stark contrast to my Guard. The Guard... Well, simply put: They're human. They're human against a world where everything isn't. That overcoming odds is a narrative I identify with very closely. Their Orders mechanics, along with a very of the basic options in squads, they have the same versatility I sought in Space Marines... And more. I don't just get the ability to play a Magnificent Bastard, I get to be one. ... and my tanks get to show off all sorts of neat tech I designed. >.>;

Babble babble babble.

Play Marines and that is it . And explain Vanilla Marines to me I have yet to see that Chapter. I can field a Squad from 101 Chapters. And because they are Cool.Love the back Ground .

Edited by deathspectersgt7

Ive been playing Warhammer for awhile, so I have a few forces. First off, Dark Eldar. I love the horrifying and evil aspects of 40k and I dont think any faction does it better, so there was that appeal, along with great looking models, I think the balance of curves and hard edges is perfect. Theyre also a very exotic race that isnt always shown off in 40k, theyre quite unique. But mainly, they are just pure evil. A chaos bloke might sacrifice you for his god, but I'll make you scream because I love to see you suffer.

Next, Cadians. I like their aesthetic, their background, and that one novel, Gunheads. Theyre spartans in space, given some of the best equipment and training of all regiments. I like to think of them (along with other named regiments) being a lot more professional and experienced compared to run of the mill guardsmen, a step above. And, as Im sure many of us will say, the guardsmen are human, they are quite relatable and there is little in this galaxy that doesnt annihilate them in droves.

Blood Angels and Ultramarines, both small armies but I play them nonetheless. I saw them as the last of their kind, upholding their duty even though they can see the end drawing near, for every world they save they see many more fall, for every enemy thwarted, there are a dozen more attacking different strongholds.The Dante novel really impressed me with that theme. Of course, this sentiment of mine is pre-8th edition, Im not sure how things are now in the new novels for them.

And lastly, Necrons, my first army. Again, because of a sense of dread and horror. They were once a weak and sickly race, losing a galactic war, until they gave up their frail bodies for machine forms. They gave up everything just to destroy their enemy, and after they did, they were enraged at what they had done to themselves and revolted from their masters who had given them eternal life. Now, they awaken their numberless armies, more numerous than even mankind, and stage their reconquest of the galaxy that they never truly finished. They are nigh unstoppable, whether it be on the tactical or strategic scale. On the battlefield they are impervious to all but the heaviest weaponry, and that only stops them temporarily. On a larger scale, they teleport masses of troops around instantly, have no need for supply lines, and bulldoze through anything in their way before reinforcements arrive. That all really gets me going, they will be the death of mankind and they cannot be stopped. And on another note, I enjoy the undead Egyptian/Roman aesthetic, plus theyre amazingly quick to paint.

I play wolves because they are crazy bastards that try there best to do the right thing, and spit in the face of others that prance around pretending  to be something more than they are.

I play Tau with heavy auxillaries because I enjoy the idea of many small factions banding together into a make shift army to survive the big players

Edited by Triszin

I’m marines because of the mound of dead Crimson Fists on the front of the Rogue Trader book, and because the first White Dwarf I ever picked up had the marine painting guide in it, and they looked amazing.

And because of the RTB01 box set originally, and Space Hulk terminators, and then after a brief flirtation with the first Guard plastics, the second edition box - my brother had the orks, I had the marines.

And because I’m still trying to finish that army now...

My choice for my current army and former armies have always just been based on the models, simple as that.

As the official background material for an army has never worried me too much as I self edit in my head what I do or don't like when it comes to the fluff anyway.

The only reason I went for Death Guard when I returned to the game for 8th is that I just fell in love with the new models, the old school vibe with a modern twist that they have going for them is just amazing to me. 

Edited by Shockmaster

Space Wolves are Vikings in space. What is not to love about that? You toss in the excellent William King Ragnar novels and that's what really got me into them.

Death Guard is awesome. I liked them before 8th hit because of their fluff. I like the idea of death's reapers silently tilling the battlefields to bring more souls to Nurgle. The 30k Death Guard, though, that's where I'm at. The use of phosphex, rad grenades and "dirty weapons" to get the job done no matter the cost is like jam on toast to me. I love the dirty white and green trim colors as well. A primarch that was willing to die rather than admit he couldn't kill his adoptive father as the last remaining xenos on his home world? Sign me up for the haloed skull.

Emperor's Children is all about the 30k version. I love their flawed pursuit of perfection. Purple and gold is a great paint scheme.  You toss in units like Palatine Blades and Phoenix Guard terminators and you have some visually stunning models. Their arrogance was backed up in fluff by being the best swordsmen in all the Legions. Hopefully they get their own codex to give us 40k versions of those units. Noise marines are cool and offer a nice change of pace from the usual Chaos unit choices.

My main army is Guard, with Marines as my second, and Orks as my Xenos army of choice.

I play Guard for the same reason Pentharian said;  they are human.  They are human in a universe in which being a normal human being's life is worth almost nothing.  I started in 3rd edition, and I am sure some people remember just how bleak the universe looked in the Big Black Book.  I remember being about 12 and thinking what would it be like to be a normal human in a universe like that, and the kind of stones you had to have to make it and survive in the 40k universe.  I had to play those guys.  So I picked up some old metal Cadians and Steel Legion and the rest was history.   The awesome tank models help too. 

Marines I play because they are the quintessential 40k army.  Gothic knights in space, which are taken as children and genetically enhanced and armored in armor, whose sole purpose is to kick tail?  And they come in different flavors?  Sign me up.  

Orks I just play because I have always had an image of them singing hooligan chants while charging into battle, and found that hilarious.  

I came and started Black Templars because I was enthralled by the Medieval Era (and still am) so the word “Templar” drew them to me. Their focus on melee and ZEAL hooked me. But why do I keep playing my boys in black?

Because the concept of them being a band of brothers threw thick and thin. They fight. They die and they live together. They howl against the night encroaching and refuse to go silently. They are better then the sum of their parts.

And secondly, the Crusader Squad. The last remnant of our flavor, keeping the old 4th Ed Design of MSU. But more than that they represent the versatility of an army. Able to switch and be a combat role or shooting. I never feel sad to add a 3rd or 4th Crusader Squad to my list. They have no instrinic Combat buffs, but are able to stand to toe with armies like Orks and Units like Grey Hunters forming the bulwark against the enemy.

My Vostroyans in the ornate gear march alongside my Templars, faceless and without name. They are the firstborn of their planet, serving to atone from their sins of failure. Just as our Gene Father did when he shattered his sword after the Siege of Terra.

In each case they are the Vostroyan FirstBORN. They are someone’s child, someone had to send their child to die on some far off world never to return. An older sibling had to leave their brothers and sisters behind to fight the good fight. Never once is their a thought of saying nay to sending their children.

And finally my Knight’s Hesiod Wake (Or Bretonnians) are men fighting using the horse and rider. Fighting alongside the knights of the Emperor and faceless warriors from a far off world. But instead they wear colorful heraldry, ride upon purebred steeds armed with only their lances.

They seek to be like epic heroes of yore and win great battles so they may earn their name. To become a Knight in Deed and in name. They provided a humanizing character to an army of stoic knights of stars and the faceless armies who seek to redeem their ancestors. And through all this? They are the most outmatched.

Finally the 4th part of my armies and most recent addition where the Primaris. Reinforcements for the Imperium, commissioned by Marines ‘uncle’ Primarch Gulliman. They serve to try and stop the clock just at it begins to tic and strike midnight. Yet they are people out of time. They never served under an initiate, they do not know my tradition.

So like the Knights of Hesiod, they also fight to prove themselves. The Primarch Gulliman says they are greater than the Marines made by His Father. Now they must prove those words in action. Unlike Knights of Hesoid, whom do it to win acclaim in the eyes of others.

These Marines, do it to win honor and prove to themselves they are up to snuff. Everyone looks to them seeing the Angels whom shall pull the Imperium back from its darkest hour. Yet....they are still not enough. The Imperium is falling beset on all sides. All they are doing is slowing the clock and they know this, but still they must know no fear. With that all behind them they fight to prove that they are the hope people desire.

And finally that is why I play all the armies I do. And why I play to some extent 40K. To howl against the darkness. To refuse to go silently into the night. Fight until I can fight no more.

For only in Death Does Duty End.

I like the bloody-minded zealotry, over the top aesthetic, and grim necessity of the Adeptus Ministorum. The Sisters appeal to me for being "normal" humans competing against trans-humans, aliens, monsters, and abominations from Beyond, with high level wargear and insane levels of faith, and doing it with such fury and skill that they can play the game with near parity, not relying on hordes of bullet sponges.

Lamenters appeal to me for their pathos, I guess. I like that they are trans-human killing machines who embrace humanity, not just their own but in others. On top of a cool colour scheme, I like the unlucky underdog theme of them. They are near Quixotic, and I guess they're relatable.

I like Black Templars because they're independent minded space knights. Simple enough.

I like Iron Warriors, again for the pathos, I suppose. Stubborn, cold, professional, practical, yet also deeply passionate at times. Also again, very cool colour scheme.

Raven Guard.

Because I like the idea of Space Marines that don't just charge headlong into the fray. Sure, they're capable of it, but they'd rather put some thought into it so they don't end up losing half a company for every victory.

And I like the armored space ninja theme :)

Play Marines and that is it . And explain Vanilla Marines to me I have yet to see that Chapter. I can field a Squad from 101 Chapters. And because they are Cool.Love the back Ground .

Brother, I am with you on this. I have never seen a vanilla marine chapter. I've been playing 40k for over ten years now and I have gamed with many different factions.... from dark eldar to orks (I really love those big green ape-like mushrooms), but I always come back to space marines.  And of all the space marine chapters I've played the Ultramarines (or my DIY chapter, the Praetorian Sword - based on the Ultramarines) are my favorite. They have many cool characters (some are even useful in games from time to time), interesting lore, well balanced rules (mostly), and they are BLUE. True, their edges are rounded (not hard edged like the Dark Angel), they're not cursed with the red thirst or the black rage (Blood Angels), nor do they have specialized tactics (White Scars, Raven Guard). But vanilla?..... cosmopolitan maybe, but vanilla.....noooo...:no: 

I'm not saying they are the best ( each one of use has their own idea of what that is), or the most interesting (again, we each decide what that is), but they are BLUE and I love them:thumbsup: 

Young boys, taken from their families at a young age, exposed to some of the most violent and harshest training since the agoge, sliced apart and experimented on, suffering under the implantation of unnatural organs, grown to gigantic size, hypnotically indoctrinated in a religious cult, and in my particular case, mutilated by their own medics and mechanics to replace perfectly functional flesh and blood with robotic simulacra.

And all these terrible crimes perpetrated against an unwilling child?  Committed by the good guys.  In no other game I'd ever played had I seen protagonists who were that brutal and that uncompromising, and the most horrible thing was that without the combat prowess of these psychologically scarred bionically-enhanced child-soldiers, mankind itself was in danger of extinction.  It was something unique for me, and I decided that this most dystopian of armies would be fun to explore.

When I started looking at an army during 7th, I wanted to go Imperial Guard. Everyone deterred me saying that it would be miserable as I would be losing so much. I really wanted to go with a Tempestus heavy fast attack/paratroop army and a Imperial Knight at the center. I wanted to stay human so went to look at the Space Marines. I liked the Viking/Germanic lore of the SW's which is what I originally started with. Though once in it was more wolf mcwolf than viking, disappointingly. So I am on hold with my SW's until I see how their codex and lore are like.

I did start a Death Guard though as I liked the whole WW1 theme of poison fog and never stopping foot steps of their advance. Zombies are a bonus. They are also unique in how Mortarion isn't really happy with chaos. I didn't want to go with the common World Eaters or Thousand Sons either, meanwhile Emperors Children were just too 14-year old boy-ish for my taste. Maybe if they redo the line they will be better.

This is why I collect/play Horus Heresy Emperor's Children :smile.:

kizzdougs, on 18 Nov 2015 - 1:38 PM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

The background/fluff his what originally drew me to the III Legion. The Legion’s nobility, honour, discipline, courage, and incredible drive to succeed really appealed to me when I first read their background in 2001. In my opinion the III Legion was what the Legiones Atartes were meant to be. They were the sons of ancient Terran nobility, raised from birth to be leaders of men, and “whose ancestry in war stretched back into lost ages.” As a Legion they were particularly renowned for their ability to commander and utilise ‘lesser’ forces such as the Imperial Army. Many of the Imperial Army’s early victories were masterminded and commanded by elements of the Emperor’s Children who “proved their superb ability to execute and exceed the intent and expectations of their Emperor in war.” If not for the gene-seed crisis, I think the Emperor’s Children would have been one of the Great Crusades most successful Legions, and if not for the Heresy, would have been central to the future shape of the Imperium, as the commanders and generals of the Imperial Army and other Imperial forces.

Of course the Legion’s corruption and fall completely changed the Emperor’s Children. The depth of their fall was arguably the greatest of any of the Legions, especially given the height from which they fell.

Here is a selection of quotes from Betrayal that highlight the III Legion’s qualities and aspects that I love most:

“The Emperor’s Children were the only Legion to bear the Emperor’s own name and his own standard – the great palatine Aquila – granted to them by his own hand… Given the plaudits and accolades accorded them, few could doubt that they were the embodiment of what the Emperor intended the Legiones Astartes to be: noble in action and aspect, excelling in all matters, strong, civilized, firm of purpose and loyal to the core (Betrayal, p102).”

“…even in the first years, they [iII Legion] were held up as an archetype to be lauded and by who others were judged. Clad in thunderbolt and rayed-sun adorned power armour, to the human followers of the Emperor’s cause they were the demigods of myth made flesh and bound in steel (Betrayal, p103).”

“…none could doubt that they were the chosen of the Emperor, and such was the record and esteem with which they functioned that for a time it became common for them to bear the Emperor’s wishes and orders to other Legions and military forces scattered across the new-born Imperium… In this role the IIIrd Legion took on the mantle of the Emperor’s will – no other Legion was so honoured. Others bore his words, but at this time the IIIrd were his voice (Betrayal, p103).” When Terra was concerned by the conduct of the Warmaster and his Legion (after Davin), Fulgrim and the III were tasked with expressing those concerns. If Fulgrim hadn’t already been compromised by the Laer blade, I very much doubt that he would have been swayed by Horus’ council, especially given Eldrad’s attempt to warn him.

“The Emperor’s Children were an exemplary Legion. It is not the simple accumulation of victories that distinguishes their history before the Betrayal, but the manner by which they won those victories. Each record of every engagement they fought contains some feature that is admirable: a detail of battle planning, a feat of arms, or a note of individual heroism. Few other Legions could rival them for the honours won by individual warriors or units. Ever striving, ever eager to assimilate new skills and hone their craft, they were all that was best in the Legiones Astartes. While others made a way of war their own, and applied it like an iron stamp to all situations, the Emperor’s Children never held to a single mode of warfare. Their victories show more diverse application of strategy and tactics than any of their brother legions, save perhaps the Ultramarines. It is almost as if they sought to rub out any imperfection in their abilities by embracing and honing all modes and skills of war. At range, in close quarters, in swift assault or protracted siege their record is an embarrassment of diverse achievement (Betrayal, p114).”

"After the near destruction of the Legion in the gene-seeding process, surviving fragments of the Codex Apothecarion Terra indicate that absolute excellence was demanded of the Apothecaries who handled and worked on the precious genetic material. This ethos quickly merged with the Legion's general belief in perfection, so that the Emperor's Children gene-seed was perhaps the most pure and stable of all the Legions. Only the finest physical specimens were chosen for implantation, so that the mutation rate of the gene-seed was practically zero. Every enhancement produced by the gene-seed functioned at peak efficiency, allowing the Space Marines to achieve their full potential in battle. No other Space Marine Legion achieved such a goal, and the technology and expertise required have never been rediscovered in the millennia following the Horus Heresy." Emperor's Children Index Astartes.

I enjoy the fluff and background of all of the Legions and could see myself collecting a force of just about any Legion (I'm working on Alpha Legion at the moment), but the Great Crusade III Legion will always be my favourite.

So that's why I love the IIIrd Legion. I love elite, highly skilled, and disciplined armies that are the 'best of the best', and a bit of pride/arrogance doesn't go astray either.

It also helps that they have (in my opinion) some of the best Forge World miniatures available and a fantastic colour scheme that looks amazing on the battlefield.

kcsyhLi.jpg

If im perfectly honest, i first got into sisters in my late teen years because, well, girl pecs.

Ive matures since then and love the incredible churchy aesthetic that they carry.

To me, they embody what holds the imperium together. Guard are just soldiers and marines are tools. The sisters and ecclesiarchy on the other hand. To me, they ARE the imperium. The imperium is focused on the emperor, worships him, you cant wipe your nose without saying some sort of prayer.

With this light of faith, they oppose the darkness the galaxy throws at them. Yet with this light is a whole heap of grimness that we see in the models- heretics turned into drooling flaggelants or giant death machines, failures turned into missile loading servitors.

They embody the hope of humanity as well as all the grim dark.

Back in RT I played Eldar, because I hated the look of Beakies and well, Space Elves!  But as my gaming life moved on, I enjoyed playing non human races less and less (in most games), and always liked Fighter Mages, and Paladin.

Coming back in 4th, Pragmatic 'grey' Space Paladin, a whole chapter for Fighter Mages, drew my eye.

Couple with the best looking pewter TDA models (still to this day!) and that way it.  Grey Knights for life.

Although I disliked the 'river dance' pewter PAGK minis, the new Plastics are boss!

The Guard... Well, simply put: They're human. They're human against a world where everything isn't. That overcoming odds is a narrative I identify with very closely.

And, as Im sure many of us will say, the guardsmen are human, they are quite relatable and there is little in this galaxy that doesnt annihilate them in droves.

I play Guard for the same reason Pentharian said;  they are human.  They are human in a universe in which being a normal human being's life is worth almost nothing.

Every single time I've seen some Games Workshop employee mention the appeal of Imperial Guard or why they personally liked them in White Dwarf, this was the reason they gave.

Never once is their a thought of saying nay to sending their children.

That's because the Vostroyans are actually extremely proud of their children going on to fight for the Emperor and atone for their ancestors failing Him, if memory serves. They don't even know how they failed him exactly too, if I recall correctly.

Oh, yeah, me.

My reasons can be summed up with one word: looks. I'm hilariously shallow like that. I love heavily-armored warriors, so my factions of choice are warriors of chaos1, dwarves, high and dark elves2, Gondor, Easterlings, more dwarves, space marines, sisters of battle, vostroyans and T'au3.

1 marauders can knock on my door when they're armored like the Dunlending Warriors.

2 witch elves go home, preferably without any part of my body

3 only fire warriors may apply

I think I play marines because back when I first played (in Rogue Trader no less, so everything was in black and white and the world was a simpler place) one of the other guys that was playing collected marines, so I felt like I had to collect a different army (Harlequins as it happened) but I always felt like I was missing out.

So when I got back into the hobby 8 years later it was marines all the way! There have been dalliances with other codexes for sure, but I've never taken anything else to a GT.

Until now that is. With 8th, I'm firmly in the Imperial Soup category. Despite the negative connotations, I like using an army that I feel represents some of the Blanchian background art - Marines marching to war surrounded by thralls/serfs/guard/plebs/gothic crazyness. No Gulliman or Assassins to be seen! Just massive Primaris, bizarre AdMech and Grimdark Vostroyans.

Until now that is. With 8th, I'm firmly in the Imperial Soup category. Despite the negative connotations, I like using an army that I feel represents some of the Blanchian background art - Marines marching to war surrounded by thralls/serfs/guard/plebs/gothic crazyness. No Gulliman or Assassins to be seen! Just massive Primaris, bizarre AdMech and Grimdark Vostroyans.

Intent matters.

If you do 'Soup' because you want cherry pick combos, yeah, that won't be seen as very impressive. If you do so for less pragmatic reasons such as lore or just the looks of the models, it's already less disappreciated.

Not that innocent mix and matching will always meet an approving eye. I'd have loved to field triarch praetorians alongside howling banshees because I love both Newcrons, Eldar and these models if I had any back in 5th edition, but I'd have had good chances of being thrown out for 'tarnishing the lore' as soon as I opened my model case.