Why do you play your army?

Beams

I first picked up my paintbrushes around 1994 and I painted the Blood Angel chapter because I liked the colour scheme and the chapter icon. I learned to enjoy the background when Codex Angels of Death came out and I enjoyed the idea of the noble warriors battling with a hidden flaw and becoming stronger as a result.

After that I started picking up Eldar models because they were (by 2nd edition standards) elegant and colourful. The idea of painting different squads in different colour schemes to keep the painting fresh, and then stupidly decided to go for Ulthwé so I ended up painting black and grey most of the time.

Since then I've been won over by the tragic story of the Crimson Fists and the opposing nature of the Orks. The Ork background is a curious mix of happy-go-lucky humour and shocking savagery. The contrast of these two make for an interesting faction to me.

Over all of these armies though my Adeptus Mechanicus reign supreme. Back in 2nd edition 40k I remember some amazing artwork of tech priests and their servants. The reason I like the Adeptus Mechanicus is because they illustrate perfectly the grey scale of morality in 40k. If you want reinforcements on the battlefield, these guys are pretty low on the list you would want to answer the call. Their appearance is both human and monstrous and their minds are the same.

Take the Skitarii for example. While they are most than human, they are also less than human. They are rounded up and maimed before they are augmented with machinery. They are both holy warriors by their own measure and unthinking automatons when the Doctirna Imperatives overpower their own autonomy.

Then there is the Tech Priests. They are diverse and claim to think with detached logic, yet many of them are painfully vulnerable to their human sides and many have gone to extreme lengths to further their own agendas. The symbol of the Adeptus Mechanicus represents a battle between man and machine as much as it celebrates their supposed unity. 

The appearance of the Adeptus Mechanicus also represent some of the darkest of the grimdark elements in 40k with mutilation and body horror from the hordes of servitors and cherubs to the cruel weaponry they wield. Whoever thought of the idea of the Radium Carbine needs a pat on the back. The ammunition is probably made from the radioactive scraps left over from reactors and can be re-purposed for weaponry. The fact that the poor wielders are brought low by their own weapons just shows how pitiless the Tech Priests can be.

I also really like the models, I think the Mechanicus models are some of the best Games Workshop have produced. The Skitarii, Electro Priests and Dominus models are some of my favourite models ever, and as I said earlier, I started this hobby a long time ago.

Edited by Flame Boy

Well I'm only just getting into the tabletop game, but I've been following the lore of 40k for a long time through card games, RPGs etc.

My first army is Salamanders. I quite like the dragon aesthetic, but more than anything I like their devotion to compassion. Marines who actually care about other humans, who live amongst them when not at war, and give their all to protect them - that speaks to me.

The other army I'm planning for when the Salamanders are at a decent size is Harlequins. Performers, illusionists, manipulators of fate, deadly acrobats who excel at close combat... Again, an army that both appeals on numerous levels and will be extremely different from the other.

Edited by Ja'ryn

When I was introduced to the game in 3rd edition, a friend dissuaded me from picking up marines with a common excuse ("too many of those players already") and encouraged me to buy Eldar. I enjoyed the aesthetic and found their hopeless dying-race background intriguing. But I never really forgot the look of that tactical squad box on the shelf in the store.

I dutifully collected my space elves for a while, and eventually picked up the Armageddon mini-dex on a whim. Salamanders sure did look cool. Why couldn't I try to build an army of marines carrying flamers and meltas? I never did purchase any of them, and my emerald infatuation soon turned a little more zealous. Black Templars could definitely do some interesting work in close combat. And they had all of that crusader lore and knightly purpose. Even an Emperor's Champion model with a sword that seemed taller than he was.

Again, I didn't actually purchase any marines. I continued to expand my Eldar. Besides, I ultimately realized that if I wanted black-armored marines who could tear through a melee, the Death Company were the only real answer. So I finally started collecting marines with a modest Blood Angels force. Unfortunately, my friends were winding down at this point, and I had some serious hobby fatigue. I left the whole hobby behind with no real intention to return.

I kept up with the lore, and popped back in to check on things now and then. I even bought and assembled a few pewter Grey Knights at one point in a moment of weakness (What can I say? As far as the lore is concerned, they basically do everything better than everyone else. At the time, that seemed cool). I also developed an appreciation for some of the other marine chapters. The guerilla Raven Guard. The implacable Imperial Fists.

About a year ago, I noticed that GW was righting the ship: addressing the community in a more open and honest way, and pricing reasonable bundles (Start Collecting boxes are an immensely precious lifeblood for new and returning players). What army could I collect that would truly satisfy my fleeting passions for so many chapters? I saw the new Kill Team kit and the choice was obvious. How could it be any army but the Deathwatch? The opportunity to customize each model with bits, with meaningful backstory, and with a fresh new shoulderpad paintjob - every time.

When my friends and I decided to go from playing Necromunda to making the "big plunge" of starting 40K in 1997, I ended up with a Space Wolf army when all was said and done. My friend and I bought the starter box and he won the coin toss and elected to go with the marines, leaving me with the orcs. Orcs that I then sold to a friend. I had done some painting for our FLGS and as a reward I was given like $400 in store merch. That's how I built my first Space Wolf army. That is, in big part, why Space Wolves still resonates with me... as I have issues with playing with unpainted models (long story) the Wolves were the first actual army I had painted to completion. I played my first real game of 40K using my Wolves. I'll forever cherish the thought that the very first ever shot I got to fire in my first-ever game of 40K was when one of my Long Fangs targeted my friend's Blood Angels Captain and turned him into a fine red mist with a lascannon. Hell of an auspicious start, wouldn't you say?

Up next is my love for the Imperial Guard. As a veteran myself, I've always felt a connection with the poor bastards that fight and die in the mud in the name of Him on Earth against what should by all rights be an impossible task. Yet somehow they get things accomplished. Regardless of the ghastly price that must need to get paid. I've also loved the fact that the Guard is so vast that coming up with my own color scheme and markings just feel so right to me. Since the late '90s and Second Edition I have built, painted (and eventually sold) three I.G. armies. I'm on my fourth now. I just can't stay away.

I'd like to maybe try my hand at a Chaos Marine army someday, too. If for no other reason than to give people I'm trying to get into the game a more complete 'good guy/bad guy' experience. Also, I like ~some~ of the Chaos models. I like the new Plague Marines to a point but I think some of it just doesn't fit with what I'd like to have as an army. Maybe Word Bearers or Black Legion might be more my speed. I don't know. That said, many years back I 'inherited' a big tackle box full of really, really old Chaos stuff. Don't know how much of it is valid anymore. Might eventually post pics here and see if anybody is interested in any of it.

I am, however, tinkering with a "generic codex chapter" of my own devising. Back in early '16 I came into some cash so I bought a bunch of generic marine stuff. I think it was enough to make a Demi-Company Formation in the last edition. Anyway, I've bought some shoulder pad iconography from Shapeways so I won't have to freehand anything on them. I'm in the process of finalizing a color scheme. As for a name for my chapter and any of the history? Who knows. All I know is that, once I get something painted, I'll post it here for my fellow fraters to amuse themselves with by looking at my poor skills.

Edited by The Mad Hermit

When I started looking at an army during 7th, I wanted to go Imperial Guard. Everyone deterred me saying that it would be miserable as I would be losing so much. I really wanted to go with a Tempestus heavy fast attack/paratroop army and a Imperial Knight at the center. I wanted to stay human so went to look at the Space Marines. I liked the Viking/Germanic lore of the SW's which is what I originally started with. Though once in it was more wolf mcwolf than viking, disappointingly. So I am on hold with my SW's until I see how their codex and lore are like.

I did start a Death Guard though as I liked the whole WW1 theme of poison fog and never stopping foot steps of their advance. Zombies are a bonus. They are also unique in how Mortarion isn't really happy with chaos. I didn't want to go with the common World Eaters or Thousand Sons either, meanwhile Emperors Children were just too 14-year old boy-ish for my taste. Maybe if they redo the line they will be better.

Just wanted to say that after reading this thread and remembering my old wants for a IG army I was gifted a Tempestus Start Collecting box and began to assemble them. I have finally started my original goal of a normal human army or a Tempestus Army. Once I have a color scheme and my head canon for them I well start expanding into tanks and flyers.

Edited by Caldersson

I'll just blame Fat Blokes' White Scars all the way back in ´98, Chris Wraight writing my favourite HH-books ever  and the stars that somehow made all this align right when I was on yet another Mount&Blade: Warband binge where I yet again ended up playing a horse-archer...

Oh, and Rogal Dorn forgive me, getting tired of painting yellow!

I've just started two new armies.

In every case, the lore and the models are what clinch it for me.

From Watchers of the Throne by Chris Wraight:

We were never soldiers.

Whenever we are seen outside the walls of this place, as rare as that is, it is in our martial aspect. We are clad in gold, just as it was in the earliest days when He was our living captain, and mortals fall on their faces as if before gods. To them, it must seem as if we are wrath incarnate. To them, it must seem as if we were created for destruction and nothing else.

But we were His companions, once. We were the ones in whom He confided. We were His counsellors, we were His artisans. We were the first glimpse of what the species could become, if shepherded aright and unshackled from its vicious weaknesses.

Of course, we were taught to fight. He knew that war would come. It was a necessary part of the ascension, though it was never destined to last for eternity. We were the guardians of a new age, and had to be strong enough to keep it secure.

We failed in that, and now wear the mark of that failure in the black robes that cover our auramite. It is a permanent reminder, replacing the cloaks of blood-red that once adorned our battle-plate. It weighs heavy with every one of us, for we know more of the nature of the fall than most. We still recite the old stories, and we study in the lost archives where we alone are suffered to tread, and so do not have the comforting illusions of ignorance to salve the wound. In a galaxy defined by ignorance, we remember. We cultivate the shards of the thing that was broken, and remain aware of what would have been.

I think sometimes that this knowledge is the most severe of our many burdens. Any brutal soul may fight if he has the goal ahead of him. We fight knowing that our truest purpose lies behind us, and all that remains is faithfulness to an extinguished vision.

But still we preserve. We tend the things of value that have survived. We seek to embody His will in all things. We cleave to His light as the darkness gathers. We interpret, we study, we delve into the philosophy of the ages.

We have many duties. But that is just as it should be, for we are not simple creations. The aeons have changed us in so many ways, but not in that.

We were a thousand things to a thousand souls, but we were never soldiers.

It makes the Custodes more than just background or badass, and turns them into something really interesting and vulnerable - as well as building on the whole Master of Mankind aspect of the Custodes as companions to the Emperor.

The other army I've started is the Necrons, purely for all the Lovecraft references I can make.  "That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."  

And also the Newcron sculpts are great.

I like all the different factions unfortunately :( every army has its own badass aspect and if I'm not careful I get sucked in! What I need to remember to salvage my soul and wallet in times of great need is *playing* the game is a whole different beast.

I can't do horde armies to save my life on the table. And if I can just remember that I'll be fine. Part of the trick though is that swinging too far into the awesomeness that is big monsters can be unfun for the opponent so no 4x knight lists anymore :(

OH and getting crushed myself ain't fun either... So that limits me a lot.

I made a post about this a while ago, and despite a lot of things changing in my mentality, in broad terms I still play the VII Legion, the Imperial Fists of Rogal Dorn, forged in the fires of Crusade and the Heresy for these reasons.

I play VII Legion because it, to me, sums up the ethos of the sons of Dorn the best, because that's why I chose the Fists - the ethos, the spirit of duty.

People often seem to forget that beyond the memes, the Fists were more then a Legion dedicated to garrisons and defence or even siege warfare. We were among the premier of the Legiones Astartes when it came to void warfare, we excelled at the standard combat practices of the Legions, as all did, we had formations that were known for their melee potential such as Rahn's command and the Templar Brethren; we did so much. And that gets lost. Never forget that we served as the Emperor's strategic reserve during the Great Crusade, not because we were the best at everything, because we weren't. I am among the most biased when it comes to the Imperial Fists and their successors, and even I must accept this truth. We were not necessarily the best. We were very good at many things, but in many of those areas other Legions outshine us. No, we were the strategic reserve of the Emperor because we could be counted on.

There is a very good reason that I titled my project thread The Burden of Duty when I first started tackling the Fists. It's taken from a piece of writing that Darrell wrote years ago, and at least to me, it sums up the essence of what the Fists are about. Theirs is the burden of duty. To say that they are the "most loyal" chapter or Legion is a bit extreme, but I don't think it presumptuous to say that we have a sense of doing what needs to be done, despite whatever may stand as obstacles against us, unparalleled by any other geneline of the Astartes. We are the essence of reliability, and I think nowhere is that more apparent then in the originalLegion.

I say that it is most apparent in the Legion, because as much as I love the Successor chapters of the VII - I will always have a soft spot for every single one - many of them are defined by different things. That is part of the truth of the Second Founding. The Crimson Fists are founded from the young bloods of the Legion, while the more zealous formed the Black Templar. The Excoriators are founded from the bloody survivors of the furious combat during the Siege of Terra. And so on and so forth. The only place such spirit yet remained was within the core founding of the VII Legion, the Imperial Fists. But their character is drastically different (and for good reason, as explained by the War of the Beast) in the 41st Millennium then it was during the Horus Heresy, Great Crusade, and what came after. Now... it seems less apparent in the Fists, in favor of strong siege warfare tactics and an adherence to the Codex.

This commitment to duty, then, is something that, in its purest form, has been lost through the millennia. Make no mistake, it beats eternal in the heart of every son of Dorn, no matter their Chapter colors, but the character of those Chapters that claim Dorn's lineage is not defined by it. The Legion, as I see it, is. And that's something special to me. That's why I play the VII Legion. It's because of that defining character trait to the Legion that doesn't define their Successors in the same way. It's something, honestly, I take pride in, despite knowing all this is fantasy, all this is a fiction. Because when things come down to it, army choices often reflect who we are, and vice versa. It's why so many of us talk about our Chapters and Legions in the first person - because they reflect our personality and we come to identify with them. I don't believe myself to be a particularly proud man - far from it - but there are a few qualities about myself that I do, in fact, take pride in. My pride in my Legion is a reflection of who I am and what I aspire to be.

I fear I'm getting a bit too offtopic there and starting to ramble, so I'll just end on that note. But... yeah. That's why I voted the way I did, best I can explain it.

The Fists speak to me on a deep, intimate level. I can't explain why precisely they do. I can explain how they do so, but I can't explain why. They're an army -- a Legion -- that I can pour myself into narratively and creatively and reap mass dividends of relief from when dealing with the stress of life.

That's why I play the Imperial Fists.

I made a post about this a while ago, and despite a lot of things changing in my mentality, in broad terms I still play the VII Legion, the Imperial Fists of Rogal Dorn, forged in the fires of Crusade and the Heresy for these reasons.

I play VII Legion because it, to me, sums up the ethos of the sons of Dorn the best, because that's why I chose the Fists - the ethos, the spirit of duty.

People often seem to forget that beyond the memes, the Fists were more then a Legion dedicated to garrisons and defence or even siege warfare. We were among the premier of the Legiones Astartes when it came to void warfare, we excelled at the standard combat practices of the Legions, as all did, we had formations that were known for their melee potential such as Rahn's command and the Templar Brethren; we did so much. And that gets lost. Never forget that we served as the Emperor's strategic reserve during the Great Crusade, not because we were the best at everything, because we weren't. I am among the most biased when it comes to the Imperial Fists and their successors, and even I must accept this truth. We were not necessarily the best. We were very good at many things, but in many of those areas other Legions outshine us. No, we were the strategic reserve of the Emperor because we could be counted on.

There is a very good reason that I titled my project thread The Burden of Duty when I first started tackling the Fists. It's taken from a piece of writing that Darrell wrote years ago, and at least to me, it sums up the essence of what the Fists are about. Theirs is the burden of duty. To say that they are the "most loyal" chapter or Legion is a bit extreme, but I don't think it presumptuous to say that we have a sense of doing what needs to be done, despite whatever may stand as obstacles against us, unparalleled by any other geneline of the Astartes. We are the essence of reliability, and I think nowhere is that more apparent then in the originalLegion.

I say that it is most apparent in the Legion, because as much as I love the Successor chapters of the VII - I will always have a soft spot for every single one - many of them are defined by different things. That is part of the truth of the Second Founding. The Crimson Fists are founded from the young bloods of the Legion, while the more zealous formed the Black Templar. The Excoriators are founded from the bloody survivors of the furious combat during the Siege of Terra. And so on and so forth. The only place such spirit yet remained was within the core founding of the VII Legion, the Imperial Fists. But their character is drastically different (and for good reason, as explained by the War of the Beast) in the 41st Millennium then it was during the Horus Heresy, Great Crusade, and what came after. Now... it seems less apparent in the Fists, in favor of strong siege warfare tactics and an adherence to the Codex.

This commitment to duty, then, is something that, in its purest form, has been lost through the millennia. Make no mistake, it beats eternal in the heart of every son of Dorn, no matter their Chapter colors, but the character of those Chapters that claim Dorn's lineage is not defined by it. The Legion, as I see it, is. And that's something special to me. That's why I play the VII Legion. It's because of that defining character trait to the Legion that doesn't define their Successors in the same way. It's something, honestly, I take pride in, despite knowing all this is fantasy, all this is a fiction. Because when things come down to it, army choices often reflect who we are, and vice versa. It's why so many of us talk about our Chapters and Legions in the first person - because they reflect our personality and we come to identify with them. I don't believe myself to be a particularly proud man - far from it - but there are a few qualities about myself that I do, in fact, take pride in. My pride in my Legion is a reflection of who I am and what I aspire to be.

I fear I'm getting a bit too offtopic there and starting to ramble, so I'll just end on that note. But... yeah. That's why I voted the way I did, best I can explain it.

The Fists speak to me on a deep, intimate level. I can't explain why precisely they do. I can explain how they do so, but I can't explain why. They're an army -- a Legion -- that I can pour myself into narratively and creatively and reap mass dividends of relief from when dealing with the stress of life.

That's why I play the Imperial Fists.

I feel the same way about the Raven Guard.

Sure, you can look at their stealth tactics and guerilla warfare theme. But when Corax took command, he molded his Legion into one that has a sense of doing what's right. His history of fighting against an oppressive regime led to him teaching his sons that not only should there be victory, but justice as well.

They aren't as humanitarian as the Salamanders (who they get along with surprisingly well), but they don't treat normal humans as disposable either. And they will often go out of their way to aid civilians. Because they understand that the safety of the populace is in the Imperium's long term best interest.

Shrike's refusal to join larger war efforts in favor of fighting where the citizens had otherwise been abandoned to their fate is a great example of that mentality.

I play Chaos Marines because twenty years ago I borrowed a 2nd Ed Chaos Codex from a mate one lunchtime at school just to read the fluff, and something about the Traitor Legions latched onto my brain and yelled 'holy crap these guys are awesome'. I subsequently blagged thirty quid off my mum to buy that codex and a biscuit tin full of chaos models from said mate, and the rest is history.

Why the Nine Legions project? Well, I think all of the Legions are cool, but at the same time I'm not great at unfocused hobbying, so the obvious call was an army for each Legion. Originally it was gonna just be the four god-specific ones and the Black Legion for everything else, but then the 3.5 codex dropped and gave us rules for all of them, so my mentality expanded a touch.

I also recently started a Genestealer Cult army. Again, the genesis for this is 2nd edition, where I was a nid player for all of about three weeks before my fateful reading of the Chaos book. I never really got a chance to dabble with the Cult in 2nd, and then they only recently got a model line. Trouble was I was sick of 7th by that point, so I figured I'd wait it out, then they dropped the 100 quid box at Christmas so I picked it up. I just think they're a cool idea, the menace lurking in the heart of untold Imperial worlds, slowly attracting their own doom in the form of the Hive Fleets. Also you can't really do anything similar with the Chaos codex and I don't like the R&H list.

So yeah, ultimately I play the armies I play because I think they're cool, with a side order of 'can I make this work in the chaos book?". Which is why I'm probably gonna end up with a Custodes army at some point as well.

Dragonlover

I play guard as I like the idea of the humble human with rubbish armour and a worthless gun standing against all the horrors of the galaxy

I play Tyranids as they are the only truly alien faction - also I have a pet theory that they where created by the great old ones. After the great old ones fled the galaxy they created the tyranids to 'reset' it

I play Necrons as I like robots

I paly tau as I like stompy robots

I play Admech because I Like cyborgs and big stompy robots

I'm currently planning a blood angel (and maybe Ironhand) all dreadnought army as I Like big stompy robots

I started playing Sisters because I liked the nuttiness of an army that'd have a missile firing organ mounted on a tank in a warzone. The more I read about them the more I fell in love with the concept and the more attached I grew. Add in a playstyle that forces aggression due to short ranges, while balancing your losses with objectives (be it killing enemy models or holding actual objectives with your T3 models) due to losing models faster than a Marine army would but not having the numbers a horde army like Guard would have and you fall into a playstyle niche I haven't seen truly matched by any other army.

Basically I fell in love with their nuttiness, grew to love their lore, and enjoy their unique play style.

Currently though I've started playing Custodes because they basically scratch my itch for an army that has a lot of visual pop (they have a lot of nice iconography, and stand out well on the table due to their bright colors) while also being an elite army that plays fairly well despite the low model count. Add in those beautiful new models coming out and I wouldn't be able to stay away, even if Sisters were in plastic right now.

I've repainted my armies a couple of times...and now I'm dangerously close to repainting my Black Legion (more likely, alter it slightly) as alpha legion Warband as of all the legions I liked their index Astartes the best back in the day.

I've stripped my chaos guys so often it's become a meme at this point, but I'm hoping to rebuild them. I'm also pondering a "universal rhino system". Basically black undercoated Rhino, with magnetized panels to attach like extra armor which would then be army specific (World Eaters, Black Legion, Loyalist Army, Grey Knights).

I have the strongest emotional connection to Alpha Legion, with the second strongest to Dark Angels (Though I would prefer hooded cloaks to monk robes, I LOVE the Guardians of the Covenant, they would be who I would paint up, scholar marines who aren't all Sorcerers and Dust men)

I started playing Sisters because I liked the nuttiness of an army that'd have a missile firing organ mounted on a tank in a warzone. 

What's nutty about purging the unclean to a jaunty tune? :huh.:

I always expect said 'jaunty tune' to be the 1812 Overture since that was written to be played with cannons as percussion.

As anyone who visits the Chaos section of the forum knows;  Thousand Sons for me. 

I play several armies, owning 4 separate ones, but only the Thousand Sons have really retained my interest and held me in their grasp for years. 

I started them back in 3.5 and when that list changed I was heartbroken and sold off the entire lot, always kept track of the Sons till...well you guessed it! the big plastic revamp of the entire line and Wrath of Magnus! 

After that.....Stick a fork in me I was done. Currently the list is 5000 points and counting (possibly far north but given a new codex is next month ill be conservative in the estimate) All  new figures, some choice AOS models, and a tiny splash of daemons for flavor and support. 

The reason I played them was several fold, Always had a love of the Esoteric.  I actually practice Astrology though I don't really dabble in anything else, more reading on the subjects in question. Always been fascinated by belief systems of every stripe.  The Thousand Sons scratched the mental itch for knowledge with an incredibly depressing and harsh backstory, a loyal father heartbroken by his own fathers disregard, and the story of the loyalists that got screwed for trying to help..... And I was hooked from the day I read it.  Very much the "good guys forced into evil" story line which I always thought was rather cool. 

They (much like I consider myself) fall into academia and higher learning and seek out answers. No matter where those answers may take them. Whenever I think of Prospero I always kind of envisioned it as a planet-wide college, as its portrayed in the novels that's very much how it sounds. So as you can see they fit me on a few levels.  

Hilarious added bonus.....several of my very good friends are all huge warhammer nerds and they realized that one reason I am attracted to Magnus and his ilk is due to this;  I am very intellectual.... I can also come across as a pretentious prick without realizing it. (un-intentional of course)....well that is very much a huge problem the Thousand Sons had in-universe....they come across as pretentious for thinking they know better even if they don't.  So you could say its a "fated" attraction as it were. 

I've repainted my armies a couple of times...and now I'm dangerously close to repainting my Black Legion (more likely, alter it slightly) as alpha legion Warband as of all the legions I liked their index Astartes the best back in the day.

I've stripped my chaos guys so often it's become a meme at this point, but I'm hoping to rebuild them. I'm also pondering a "universal rhino system". Basically black undercoated Rhino, with magnetized panels to attach like extra armor which would then be army specific (World Eaters, Black Legion, Loyalist Army, Grey Knights).

I have the strongest emotional connection to Alpha Legion, with the second strongest to Dark Angels (Though I would prefer hooded cloaks to monk robes, I LOVE the Guardians of the Covenant, they would be who I would paint up, scholar marines who aren't all Sorcerers and Dust men)

This doesn't take a toll on the plastic/resin? That's crazy. 

I have a HUGE Chaos Space Marine collection that I've been growing since 3rd. Problem is it's mostly just marines of some kind with very little in the way of support, so it is not competitive in the slightest. I started revamping the whole thing but couldn't settle on a theme or plan. When 8th was released I picked up Dark Imperium and a bunch of other bits and pieces and started Death Guard as a side project. It's an army that I have deliberately limited the scope of, and have had some success on the table so it scratches my Chaos itch and lets me play with something usable while I work on the rest.

As anyone who visits the Chaos section of the forum knows;  Thousand Sons for me. 

I play several armies, owning 4 separate ones, but only the Thousand Sons have really retained my interest and held me in their grasp for years. 

I started them back in 3.5 and when that list changed I was heartbroken and sold off the entire lot, always kept track of the Sons till...well you guessed it! the big plastic revamp of the entire line and Wrath of Magnus! 

After that.....Stick a fork in me I was done. Currently the list is 5000 points and counting (possibly far north but given a new codex is next month ill be conservative in the estimate) All  new figures, some choice AOS models, and a tiny splash of daemons for flavor and support. 

The reason I played them was several fold, Always had a love of the Esoteric.  I actually practice Astrology though I don't really dabble in anything else, more reading on the subjects in question. Always been fascinated by belief systems of every stripe.  The Thousand Sons scratched the mental itch for knowledge with an incredibly depressing and harsh backstory, a loyal father heartbroken by his own fathers disregard, and the story of the loyalists that got screwed for trying to help..... And I was hooked from the day I read it.  Very much the "good guys forced into evil" story line which I always thought was rather cool. 

They (much like I consider myself) fall into academia and higher learning and seek out answers. No matter where those answers may take them. Whenever I think of Prospero I always kind of envisioned it as a planet-wide college, as its portrayed in the novels that's very much how it sounds. So as you can see they fit me on a few levels.  

Hilarious added bonus.....several of my very good friends are all huge warhammer nerds and they realized that one reason I am attracted to Magnus and his ilk is due to this;  I am very intellectual.... I can also come across as a pretentious prick without realizing it. (un-intentional of course)....well that is very much a huge problem the Thousand Sons had in-universe....they come across as pretentious for thinking they know better even if they don't.  So you could say its a "fated" attraction as it were. 

The user-name and profile pic is a slight hint too, Sonoftherubric21.