Why do you play your army?

Beams

I have 3 armies. I have a combined BA and SM army that have taken a back burner for awhile now. I still love the concept of BA and their tragedy, but I can't seem to reconcile that with the way they play.

The army I'm playing most nowadays is AdMech. I took some time off from the hobby and came back just a few weeks after they came out and immediately loved the models, though I had no idea what their story was. I swore I wouldn't buy them, though, because I had so many BA models left to paint already and it's be quicker to get that into a working army than starting a new one. But I kept looking at AdMech and so before long my wife got tired of it and bought me some for my birthday. The more I played them the more I enjoyed it, and the more I read on them the more I wanted to get further into it. I just wish there was more to the line!

My Necrons were kind of a shot in the dark. The release of the Ynarri made me feel hopeless about my BA/SM and AdMech (my AdMech had a chance against them in a war convo but I hated playing that) so I convinced a few friends to start new armies for 8th. We all picked some no one in our group played, and I honestly don't know why I picked necrons. I had been thinking about Dark Eldar for a long time but I think if I had gone with them I would have wound up doing a combined Eldar force, when I was just looking for a side project. No one in our group had ever played against Necrons so I think that was the main reason I got them. But I love them; they're the first army I've had where each unit actually feels the same on the table top and in a novel. I think also the fact that they're unquestionably bad guys and not Imperial is also refreshing. And the fact that they're easy to paint makes it easier for me to actually paint them, which I am pretty terrible at getting around to normally.

I've repainted my armies a couple of times...and now I'm dangerously close to repainting my Black Legion (more likely, alter it slightly) as alpha legion Warband as of all the legions I liked their index Astartes the best back in the day.

I've stripped my chaos guys so often it's become a meme at this point, but I'm hoping to rebuild them. I'm also pondering a "universal rhino system". Basically black undercoated Rhino, with magnetized panels to attach like extra armor which would then be army specific (World Eaters, Black Legion, Loyalist Army, Grey Knights).

I have the strongest emotional connection to Alpha Legion, with the second strongest to Dark Angels (Though I would prefer hooded cloaks to monk robes, I LOVE the Guardians of the Covenant, they would be who I would paint up, scholar marines who aren't all Sorcerers and Dust men)

This doesn't take a toll on the plastic/resin? That's crazy.

I use a product called "simple green" found in the automotive sections of stores like Walmart. It doesn't deform the plastic, but I have noticed that it can seemingly dye it to the color of the primer I use (Rust-Oleum automotive primer a dark grey) but the surface detail is still as visible as ever (which being chaos kits isn't much). I've given thought to maybe just using my calth boxes to make the alpha legion stuff. Much more regimented, because my Black Legion is done, and I'd just done a rough kitbash with relevant Abaddon parts and one of the Cataphractii commander guys from B@C.

And I wouldn't have to repaint my raptors. My goodness they took forever and a day to paint.

I want to get one of those display cases too.

Simple Green is basically great for stripping all kinds of models, plastic or otherwise (I used to soak models for a week, or longer if I forgot about the tubberware with them floating inside under whatever other projects I was doing with no issues). It works best on metal but quite well on plastic. Some mild scrubbing (with an old toothbrush usually) required, but that's pretty easy.