TS-ify the Defiler

Black13

Hey Everyone, 

As a long time chaos player, I have collected several boxes of models in various levels of completion.  Sadly due to horrible rules in previous editions, I have 3 defilers new in box that I would like to dust off and finally assemble and paint.  

My problem is that I play TS and the defiler just does not match the aesthetics of the army in my opinion.  So I am looking for your suggestions on how to make these huge models not look hugely out of place. 

With the Tomb Kings going OP, I'm left with little options along the war sphinx route (without paying top dollar for bits).  I have a few bits from previous buys, but nothing to fully convert a model.  Have you guys found alternative TS bits from other dealers?  Or suggestions of bits to use from GW that are still in circulation? 

The main parts of the model which I feel need immediate attention are the ridiculously dated looking chest cannon and tiny optional head.  I think swapping those out would go miles in improving the models fit into a TS army. 

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome! 

I think the scorpion is a better idea than the vanilla Defiler,  but to be honest, I never thought it fit even remotely with TS aesthetics, and never liked the model as a whole.

That being said, I saw one or two good conversions that worked aesthetically, but unfortunately they all relied heavy on TK bits. As for alternative bits, I constantly search for them on the web, but I haven't seen anything particularly appropriate for this scale (it's mostly for the actual marines).

Wish I could help more :ermm:

I would suggest slicing a plastic Contemptor in half and using the upper body for the Defiler torso. Alternately, if you're confident in your modeling skills, you could buy some of the Achea Battle Automata from FW and put their upper bodies on the Defiler legs. Either way, you could put Defiler torsos on the legs of the donor models to make some cool Helbrute conversions (a Defiler torso's gun well is easy to seal up with plasticard or Green Stuff and vehicle doors).

EDIT: Oh, and you can pretty easily slice off and replace the blades on the Defiler legs with flame effects from your source of choice.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch

I stumbled upon a "scorpion" defiler some times ago, I think it fits our egyptian theme pretty well. You can find the tutorial here : https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/654197.page

Oh man an old brass scorpion. I haven't seen one of those since Apocalypse first came out years ago. Doesnt that take two kits though. Mighty expensive.

Edited by Raven1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just built a stock Defiler for my newly created Thousand Sons army with no deviation from the kit as i think the way the armour panels are constructed will look suitably Thousand Sons like when painted. I agree that the cannon looks a bit clunky but i used the skull head and think it looks fine. Horns would just not have worked.

I am more worried how a Maulerfiend will look. I built two for a Khorne Daemonkin army i had but never painted them so will use for my Thousand Sons going forwards.

AoS has the Tomb Kings Sphinx model that is incredibly easy conversion into maulerfiend/forgfiend/defiler/soul grinder.

GW has long discontinued this model. Its price on eBay went through the roof ever since... sadly.

AoS has the Tomb Kings Sphinx model that is incredibly easy conversion into maulerfiend/forgfiend/defiler/soul grinder.

GW has long discontinued this model. Its price on eBay went through the roof ever since... sadly.

Wow I am glad I converted mine while I had the chance then!