Dark Angels Stormraven Question

AccidentalCultist

Greetings Brothers,

Stormraven Gunship "Wings of Wrath" is about to be commissioned and attached to the 5th Battle Company for operational service. I have a couple questions on how it should painted:

• Would the pilot be a techmarine (red, as per the Codex), or would we use Ravenwing pilots? I am personally leaning towards Ravenwing pilots. A pilot needs to maintain battlefield awareness as well have access to multiple communication channels, and my need to understand aspects of a battle and higher strategy that requires a certain level of...'understanding'. The Dark Angels may be more inclined to rely on the skill and 'understanding' of the 2nd company, rather than a marine who has not had any exposure to certain aspects of the chapter.

• Land Raiders that have served the Chapter with distinction, are able to be inducted into the Deathwing, for their sole use, and are given the honour of being painted in the bone white of the company. I want to paint the stormraven green, with the wings in bone so show that this asset can be seconded to the Deathwing when required. Would the Deathwing allow an asset such as the Stormraven to be shared or would they, like the Land Raider, inducted into the company for its sole use. 

For the Lion! For the First!

Being that it is not a fighter aircraft such as a Dark Talon or Nephilim jetfighter, I would think it would follow the same protocol as a Thunderhawk, where a Techmarine or specialized servitor would pilot it?

But of course its your hobby, at the end of the day you could specify that Ravenwing members pilot them? ;)

The BEST answer is and will always be that they are your models and you should paint them however you see fit.

And as far as dual-purpose models for a collection, I think it makes perfect sense to have a model that you plan to use with both Bone colored units and Green colored units to be painted in Bone and Green.

As for fluff wise, I don't feel that RW would be the pilots for Stormravens.

It would be like putting a formula 1 racer behind the wheel of an Amtrak Train.

What dishonor did he bring upon the chapter?

But as I said at the beginning, they are your models, do what you want.

I'm using techmarines for my transport craft (Storm Raven, Thunderhawk), and usually use bone as a tool to break up the monotonous green (which I didn't when I painted up the SR ages ago, but nowadays I would).

Here's an example:

stormraven3_by_bannockburn1981-d94a2pa.j

The model comes with a Techmarine pilot, ergo Techmarine pilot and Greenwing paint job. The Ravenwing is not in the business of taxi service either - that is a Chapter-based thing. Besides, the Storm raven carries only infantry, jump pack troops, or terminators, and a dreadnought - i.e. non-Ravenwing units. Ergo, I would recommend (and plan to personally) go with a Greenwing + Techmarine paint scheme; especially as you will be attaching it to the 5th Company. Just got one myself on Sunday for my 3rd Company. :cool.:

"Im-peer-eee-ummm. Im-PEER-ee-UUUUMmmmm..."

...the building drum beat and electric guitar riff are unleashed, as the Stormravens come screaming in!!!

"IMPERIUM! :censored:  yeah!

Comin' again to save  the mutha-:censored: day! YEAH!

IMPERIUM! :censored: yeah! The Emperor is the only way! YEAH!"

Totally gonna happen that way. In-game. Can't wait! :biggrin.:

Edited by shabbadoo

I don't have any codices on hand to check, but I though techmarines couldn't be inducted into the Deathwing? Something about their oaths to Mars.

They can Pilot Deathwing vehicles and work on their gear, but they can't be inducted to the Deathwing or make their way to the Inner Circle.

Also, my vote is Techmarine. Ravenwing have better things to be doing. But, it's your hobby.

I'm with the others on this - techmarine pilot and green flyer. Am I going to be getting a stormraven? Probably. Just to see it deliver a Leviathan straight at my enemys doorstep.

Also I have a thing for having more or less everything available from at least the codex. Minus perhaps Primaris of various types and Sammael on his bike.