Growing weary of the 8th edition lore

Jarl Caldersson

We don't know who's still alive. You can still use Tycho and we all know he died some time ago.

Honestly the more I read the more I'm surprised by the entitled vitriolic bashing of the new lore which, as I've pointed out before, isn't really different from what GW have written over the past decade.

This is another case of loud, vocal minorities. When I look at my local club and other communities I've visited there isn't the hatred on display here. Most people are happily getting on with things. I hope GW outright ignored all the negative posts. It's the same old "change is bad" crowd who hate Centurions, most new models and changes to the lore. Aren't you getting bored of whinging? The new lore is going to be fleshed out but it's not going to change or be erased.

The worst thing about the haters is their inability to accept that people might enjoy aspects of the new developments. After reading Dark Imperium there are a lot of plot points and revelations I like yet some of you are spouting opinions on the new lore as though they are objective facts.

How many of you here have read Dark Imperium and Devastation of Baal? When the books have been discussed on the forum some users have used it as an excuse to bash on the new changes and it's potentially affecting people's enjoyment. Perhaps it's time to accept and get over it.

That’s all fair but it’s starting to become a little like trolling when you keep saying it on a thread that’s about “growing weary of the 8th ed. lore.”

Primaris are the first release in probably 10 years that I have disliked, except Centurions, which seem to be almost universally disliked.

As I stated, I like a lot of the developments of 8th bar a few key things but good fluff executed badly is bad fluff.

I don’t think my opinion makes me entitled. And I have tried to be reasonable and look at both sides of the argument - I still don’t like it and it seems many others don’t either.

Which is also worth thinking about because we consciously and sub-consciously are attracted to views that are similar to our own. So while your experience of the community’s take of 8th lore might be positive, mine has been much more negative and you’re vocal minority is my vocal (admittedly, very vocal at times) majority. Your experience is not the right experience. It’s just an experience.

And suggesting GW ignores criticism is crazy. That is bad in every way. I work in retail, so I know that some people complain for the sake of it but most people (the majority of people) have real grievances and it is good for your brand, your bottom line and, most importantly, your customers to try and improve by addressing as many issues as you can. You can’t please all the people, but if you stop listening to them, you’re not going to please many at all.

Here's what 40k used to be.

"It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor of Mankind has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of His inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the vast Imperium of Man for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day so that He may never truly die.

Yet even in His deathless state, the Emperor continues His eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the Warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor's will. Vast armies give battle in His name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst His soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the Tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat to humanity from aliens, heretics, mutants -- and far, far worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be relearned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Sound familiar?

That was the game that I started playing because I found It fascinating.

That was the game that I devoted countless hours to building and painting, not to mention a vast amount of money over the years.

That was the game that it used to be, but no longer is.

Now its.... Star Wars plus comic books, and not the good kind of Star Wars and comic books, but the prequel Star Wars movies and the horrible recent DC movies.

To say that saddened by it is an understatement. But in the end, i'll vote with my wallet, and i'll stick to 30k for the time being since the lore (even though its the same universe) is still decent and still affirms to that old description above.

I get it, you don't want any change. You want the same old models, same old lore, same old struggle. As fascinating as the Badab war and other tasteful stories were, they led to no change, no alteration of the status quo, nothing new.

Well, the Horus Heresy is there for you to enjoy if you want a safe story that you'll feel comfortable in.

I can't wait for more changes, more development, more heroes etc.

I get it, you don't want any change. You want the same old models, same old lore, same old struggle.

Well, the Horus Heresy is there for you to enjoy.

Literally nobody is saying that.

You need to stop straw manning this.

If you want to argue against, fine, but then argue against issues we actually have, not issues you wish we have.

We simply want quality, and that's a fair thing to ask for!

Have you read Dark Imperium?

I bought it the week it came out. If you believe that is a book that excuses all of this, then you really have a low bar for quality.

I really like Guy Haley as an author, I really liked Dante, but here he was asked to polish a turd. The man can only do so much!

I get it, you don't want any change. You want the same old models, same old lore, same old struggle. As fascinating as the Badab war and other tasteful stories were, they led to no change, no alteration of the status quo, nothing new.

Well, the Horus Heresy is there for you to enjoy if you want a safe story that you'll feel comfortable in.

Yeah the Badab War changed nothing...:facepalm:

Disagreeing with the current direction and it's execution =/= wanting no changes at all.

Pronouncements like yours are what tend to harden people's opinions, you're quite dismissive and it makes you a focal point for poster's disatisfaction, which may well be why you think the negativity goes beyond reason.

I disagree. I think the story is great and the changes are believable.

My only complaint about that book were the battles advertising Primaris.

Im more shocked than anything that you actually criticized something GW related in that second sentence.

That's literally the first time you've done this.

Ok, its been a few years now, but can you tell us what the deal with you is?

Do you own a massive amount of GW stock?

Do you work for GW?

Are you Matt Ward? :biggrin.:

Are you just trolling for the lulz?

Are you so emotionally attached to this company that you are almost incapable of critisizing anything they do?

I went through your page and a few galleries and you're clearly a very skilled and devoted hobbyist, your Ultramarines look incredible,

but there is something I don't understand about you.

Is there anything you dislike when it comes to the present GW?

I'm dismissive? You mean in the same way that half the people in this topic who haven't read the recent BL books and criticise the lore based on summaries are?

I've been in the hobby for 22 years, but I know change was needed and I'm not stuck looking at the past through rose tinted nostalgia goggles. You have difficulty buying into Primaris because why? Have you forgotten this is a setting filled with Space Magic, Bouncing Nurgings and Green Soccer Hooligans looking for a good scrap? Have you forgotten Draigo's and Calgar's lore from the 5th edition books? Have you forgotten all the common sense busting decision that took place during the Heresy?

It's time to give it a rest. This community is slowly devolving into the same negative fest that plagues video game forums. I'm seeing the change occur slowly, and it really started growing in 6th edition.

I'm dismissive? You mean in the same way that half the people in this topic who haven't read the recent BL books and criticise the lore based on summaries are?

You literally just made my point. Unless half the people in here have confessed to not reading any of the recent fluff and I missed it (many seem to have done just the opposite and referenced Dark Imperium specifically), you have no basis for that statement. It's a strawman so you can dismiss them  as not knowing anything about the current setting and the direction GW is taking it in. Whereas for many the opposite is true and they still don't like it for reasons that have been well articulated throughout this thread an are anything but the blind rejections of 'haters'.

I'm not sure bringing up Draigo and Calgar's fluff is especially useful here, it feels widely acknowledged (notice how I'm not using an absolute statement) as being quite stupendously over the top; albeit not in an entirely universe altering fashion.

Archived