Upcoming Tournament

Captain Idaho

Soooo...

Great group of people and want to play against people again. It was a new club to 40K and they're still building their terrain selection.

As such, the tables were 95% open since the terrain didn't block line of sight. Much of it was AoS based or GW own which means very open.

The theme therefore was go 1st and win and that's what happened to everyone in just about every game I followed.

As such I won't give a report. I went 1st once out of 3 which meant I won once. Solid victory that was never in doubt from star to finish. No terrain to hide behind either so little tactical play.

Not sore or anything. New club starting a tournament circuit and they plan on adding much more terrain as I spoke to them constructively and showed them some ebay sellers who can assist ;)

Edited by Captain Idaho

On a personal note I have a board at home which has 7-8 large line of sight blocking pieces and games become more balanced doing that. In fact, players aren't rewarded for building lists designed to sweep the board with fire and sit there clumping round characters.

Also Roving Patrol should be a mandatory game so as to force careful selection of forces. Sure people should be able to build what they want but the game is more fun if there is a genuine combined arms element to the game.

My opinion and I don't mind people disagreeing i.e. being wrong :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that Idaho. I can't add anything... if you didn't like the set up or system.... well I guess that's that! 

I know you don't enter a lot of competitve style tournies so I am sorry your experience turned out negative. Here we have a very... vocal and strong element of 'terrain is cool', so it's never a problem. In fact we keep adding it. Plus most of our games force movement. There is no competitive game (to my understanding) in my city at least that doesn't force you to move around the table and a gunline is just really hard to pull off entirely, but yes total lack of terrain, or LoS blocking terrain changes everything.

Meeting new people is always good. I've formed some very long friendships over the years just based on meeting peeps at these tournies. I hope you found some of that in your experience! 

Good for you for attending, and offering them advice. I hope you try again.

Other than that, and maybe this isn't a good question, but would you change your list? Did the ultra guy with my old Primaris list show up? How did he fair? (The dual Helblaster/Repulsor list)

Already changed the list :d I'll put it up in a bit.

I actually used to play tournaments a lot. I stopped 7th Edition because it went all formation.

I will attend more. I've always had a thing about trying to get results with a list I like that might not as scary as say the Guilliman Hellblaster list.

Makes me a better player and getting some wins against good players and nasty armies is very rewarding.

Here's my change to the list. Similar but extra vehicles and firepower helps a bunch.

Battalion Detachment

Captain - Plasma Pistol, Relic Blade and Sanctic Halo

Lieutenant - Mastercrafted Bolter and Chainsword

Tactical Squad - ×10. Plasma gun, combi plasma and Grav Cannon

Tactical Squad - ×10. Plasma gun, combi plasma and Heavy Bolter

Tactical Squad - ×5. Plasma gun, combi plasma

Sternguard - ×8. All with Special Issue Bolters and lightning claw on the Sergeant

Rhino

Vanguard - ×10. Dual lightning claws ×4, Storm Shield and Chainsword ×3 and dual chainsword ×3. All have jumppacks.

Contemptor Dreadnought - Kheres assault cannon

Venerable Dreadnought - Twin linked Lascannon and missile Launcher

Devastator squad - ×6. Missile Launchers ×4

Spearhead Detachment

Techmarine - Chainsword, bolter and Servo Arm

Predator - Predator Autocannon and heavy Bolters

Whirlwind - Vengeance Launcher

Whirlwind - Vengeance Launcher

Edited by Captain Idaho

I actually was selling people on Whirlwinds pretty hard this edition. I don't think it worked.

I even tried the old detachment trick with the speeder for auto-hits (but I found the command point too valuable for this, and everyone shoots the speeder down when they figure out what you're doing!)

I think both rounds are quite valuable. I want to run 2, but deciding on the round is very hard for me. Both are very well costed in my opinion.

I'm going for 3 units with S7 AP-1 and multi damage. The range and ignoring line of sight helps too.

3 Predators would be 450pts whereas this is 358pts, whilst also granting me capacity to hit targets I can't see.

I'm sure it's not game breaking but I fancy the 3 units combined will help a bunch.

Other than that, and maybe this isn't a good question, but would you change your list? Did the ultra guy with my old Primaris list show up? How did he fair? (The dual Helblaster/Repulsor list)

Oh yeah he was my 1st game!

I got beaten. He had 1st turn and wiped out all my firepower before I had a chance to strike - even with a 2+ from being in cover the Onslaught Cannon killed my Devastators solo! I failed 7 out of 10 saves with only a -1 (so 3+ in cover).

His army won 2 and lost 1. Got annihilated when he went 2nd against Eldar with Dark Reapers and Ynarri. He was done by turn 2 I believe.

Gave me lots of ideas how to create a decent tournament set up though.

There's nothing fair about eldar built for tourney play. :)

They guy we had running Reapers never used more than one squad so it was something I was okay with, but it's so funny to me the ITC guys said Eldar needed... 'more' something more they said. These are playtesters talking. I can't help but be a bit shocked when a unit like that... or the deepstrike a Primarch strat slipped through... I don't know.

I do think that the cut throat tournaments are always going to revolve around the unit that GW missed... evreytime. The top 8 lists featured something like 6 eldar lists that were nearly identical.

When you look at Space Marines, Blood Angels had the best showing as allied, but a top 10 (I believe?) was pure Blood Angels. Ultramarines weren't that potent this year. I did see some DA, with Plasma Fort running and I've faced variants of it... it makes our Helblaster builds look mediocre.

I'm having trouble coming up with anything new lately. If I were going to a tournament and I had my entire army at my disposal, I'd probably scratch my current lists, and I'd feel pretty much forced into Guilliman now that Dark Angels do what they do. Then again Guilliman went up.... I don't know if we will see him in tournament top tables anymore.