Heirs of Azkaellon rule question

Jbird

Hi all,

So I've just noticed that how the Heirs of Azkaellon rule reads that it's only models within 6 of your warlord that gets the re-rolls to hit, is that right? If so it makes sang guard suffer from leaving characters behind even more, your conga line to sang ancient with relic banner gets you a unit or two that have re-rolls and the 5+ fnp from the banner?

"Heirs of Azkaellon You can re-roll failed hit rolls for models from this unit if they are within 6" of a friendly BLOOD ANGELS Warlord."

It's still an awesome rule IMO. A big bonus, better than the captain's re-roll 1's and way better than the nothing they had before.

I mean, jeez, with the S bonus from the priest and the +1 to wound, sorry am I missing something because it seems that everything an assault unit wants is just right there. Sanguinor as warlord with his immune to morale buff and +1A makes a strong offensive SG unit more effective and gives it some much needed durability.

There is the obvious pitfall but considering T1 charge is even a thing, the HoAz rule is another cherry on the cake :)

The problem is only affecting individual models within 6", as opposed to a unit.

So you need to get successful charges with the Warlord and the SG for it to be effective, or else your warlord is stuck in the cold while the unit charges out of buff range - or vice-versa. 

Yeah its great if you get the models in range, but its a lot of points to sink in to it.  I have just taken 10 sang guard and the ancient out of my list and it free up a load of points for some Inceptors and kitted out death company which i think is going to be a better return.

Works pretty well with a warlord with the relic JP or a librarian with wings power.

Most of my games are with a JP captain now as warlord and while it may seem redundant it is cool to have full reroll by its side and a larger reroll to one. I tried priest too but they don’t have invulnerable saves.

They are still pretty good by themselves for what they cost, just stay away from hellblasters!

I ran 2 x 10 sanguinary guard in my last game, one with the ancient with SS, and one by themselves for starters, both deepstriking. I certainly didn't face an optimised list, but they were pretty nasty, really hard to kill and able to tie up multiple units in combat at any one time and hit fairly hard.

I'm sure its not an optimal way to play BA, but SG are so cool, so I'm gonna do it anyway.

I was able to pop Heirs of Azkaellon at one point will all 10 and it was nasty. just relies on you getting your warlord into combat too.

I'm running them with the outlook that if I can get some buffs on to them then great, if not they are still a decent sized problem to be dealt with and will chew through a lot of stuff too.

librarian with wings power.

I think you might be onto something there.

If you give the libby shield he can also support them that way, sure you don't get quickening but you become a prime buffer.

Though as people have said in the past - the 5++ only really matters against AP4!

librarian with wings power.

I think you might be onto something there.

If you give the libby shield he can also support them that way, sure you don't get quickening but you become a prime buffer.

Though as people have said in the past - the 5++ only really matters against AP4!

Librarian with power wings is actually a great idea for a warlord to tag along with sang guard, he will be ready and waiting for his golden brothers at the edge of the fight when they charge, ensuring he will give the majority of them re-rolls to hit

Most BA char assault buffs depend on them getting the charge, so HoAz is no worse than any of them. The drawback is in the charge, not the rule itself.

A Libby with wings could be the best option if you're willing to take a unit purely for the purpose of getting the most out of this rule.

So this is an extremely odd suggestion... but what about putting them in a land raider crusader with the warlord that can take out bubble wrap so they can assault easier. Of course it would need to be supported in the list with other vehicles like tac/Razors and the like.

Dunno... I think the Librarian is better kitted out with that slayer build. 

Jump Pack(relic) + Power Axe + Wings + Quickening

I understand that people want to get that first turn charge in and we have the ability to do that too with CPs. I'm just confused why keeping a warlord with them is difficult to do. The warlord does not have to be in combat to grant the bonus. If you use the libby then you can cast wings and get him up close and personal and assault with the back unit first to see if they can make it in.

• 4 months later...

<old man voice> If I had my druthers...

...Heirs of Azkaellon would mean SG get to re-roll failed saves instead of To Hit. Would reflect how Azkaellon actually was back in his day...

<moves long>

Whether it's by model or unit, having "free" re-rolls near the WL is still a good ability. It just sucks how wonky charging/combat still is. If characters could basically Heroically Intervene if they are near a friendly unit that has successfully made a charge, things would be so much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I’d like some form of bodyguard rule which allows a unit to “join” a character to make a charge. The charge roll has to be made for the character, to stop the character daisy-chaining on a large unit, but the player gets to announce a “follow me!” move and make a single roll for the character and the unit combined.

Wouldn’t allow it for all units/characters, but specific units with a bodyguard role could work.

Should just be a generic rule, a single character with less than 10 wounds who is within 3" of a friendly unit that makes a successful charge may move their charge distance as long as it would put them within 1" of a friendly model in that unit within 1" of an enemy unit that was declared a target of the charge.

No slingshotting characters or units, but let's a buff character get pulled with a successful charge.

It isn't like characters with shooting units have to roll a die to see if their buffs affect a unit every time

Most BA char assault buffs depend on them getting the charge, so HoAz is no worse than any of them. The drawback is in the charge, not the rule itself.

That's not entirely true. Most BA Aura powers work if the unit is with 6" rather than a model. This means that if you leave 1 or 2 models hanging back (a bit like a tadpole's tail), the whole unit can benefit from the buff, even if the character fails his charge. You only need 1 model within 6" of the character for the whole unit to benefit.

Having said that, most aura powers are special rules of the character. HoA is a special rule of the unit so I can understand it being a special case.

Should just be a generic rule, a single character with less than 10 wounds who is within 3" of a friendly unit that makes a successful charge may move their charge distance as long as it would put them within 1" of a friendly model in that unit within 1" of an enemy unit that was declared a target of the charge.

No slingshotting characters or units, but let's a buff character get pulled with a successful charge.

It isn't like characters with shooting units have to roll a die to see if their buffs affect a unit every time

73040677.jpg

Archived