Knightsword's WIP Thread - Mortis Redemptor page 8

Knightsword

The troop squad markings finally arrived. Immediately added them to the first Intercessor squads and I love them. Will be looking at getting the heavy support and fast attack ones soon.

squad markings

intercessors 03

Also made a little progress on the Chapter Master. Tiny swords are very fiddly to sculpt although I think I've got a production process nailed for them so I'm going to try mass producing some for the Aggressors this weekend. Got alternate heads from Spellcrow arriving this week and some other little bits to add to this.

Lord Gwain 04

Lord Gwain 05

Lord Gwain 06

More progress on the Chapter Master. Successfully magnetised the jump pack and normal back pack. The cloak hasn't turned out the shade of red that I had intended, however it's still the best cloak I've painted yet so I'm feeling a little proud of it.

Lord Gwain 07

Lord Gwain 08

Lord Gwain 09

Lord Gwain 10

Lord Gwain 11

Lord Gwain 12

I managed to borrow my work's dslr camera yesterday to try taking photos with that. Definitely a lot better than my phone's camera. All I need is two daylight lamps and a black backdrop to get some proper photos done.

Intercessor sergeant 02

lieutenant 02

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall... :censored:  at least nothing actually snapped.

IMG 20181121 WA0001

Base for the Chapter Master is currently drying and will be ready for final assembly on friday. Managed to salvage the burning Nurgle dude from the old base without breaking him. Probably need to have another crack at the sword as well.

Lord Gwain 15

Lord Gwain 16

It's a Plague Marine. Think I decided he's from a warband called Talons of Anathrax mentioned in the Ardent Swords IA article.

The Chapter Master is finished! Did notice a couple of spots of paint flaking off in really tiny places so need to look at varnishes for this chap.

He also rather magnetised. He's attached to the base with 2 magnets, his shield armed is magnetised (because it kept snapping off...) and his jump pack is magnetised. Figured it would make him easier to transport places.

Lord Gwain 17

Lord Gwain 18

Lord Gwain 19

Lord Gwain 20

Lord Gwain 21

Thanks Bjorn.

Chosen to make my Aggressors be members of the 1st Company, shown with the blue and red quartered shoulder instead of the 2nd Company's blue and red stripes. Since they're veterans they get a few extra bits like a red stripe down the helmet and the right knee. 

Aggressor 05 A

Aggressor 05 B

Aggressor 05 C

Aggressor 05 D

Aggressor 05 E

Your 1st Company Aggressor is well-painted. I notice he doesn't bear boltstorm gauntlets. Is his power fist an heirloom weapon from the Great Crusade, the assault bolter a gift from the Primarch himself- both meant to mark him as an elite, binding the Primaris Marine to his non-Primaris brothers via history and tradition?

Your 1st Company Aggressor is well-painted. I notice he doesn't bear boltstorm gauntlets. Is his power fist an heirloom weapon from the Great Crusade, the assault bolter a gift from the Primarch himself- both meant to mark him as an elite, binding the Primaris Marine to his non-Primaris brothers via history and tradition?

I should come up with a backstory for it like that, that's a really cool idea. The truth is I just really dislike how the boltstorm gauntlets look. They should have been made to look like the Gauntlets of Ultramar with the guns on the underside and not extending beyond the knuckles. Saw this done by one of our brothers in the Hall of Honour section and really liked it.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a little break but back on it now. In the time honoured tradition of every 40k hobbyist I have started more projects before finishing any of my current ones.

I've assembled my first moustachey jump pack lieutenant:

lieutenant02 01

lieutenant02 02

lieutenant02 03

lieutenant02 04

lieutenant02 05

And the second Knight Dreadnought (count-as Wulfen Dreadnought) has been assembled. Since I can find any third party dreadnought sized shields I had to sculpt it entirely myself, starting with moulding it around a glass:

shield 01

knight dreadnought02 01

knight dreadnought02 02

knight dreadnought02 03

knight dreadnought02 04

Bonus shots of the 2 Knights together:

brothers 01

brothers 02

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Working on a side project as a break from the Ardent Swords. First step is to make a green stuff mold of bits from the Imperial Fists upgrade sprue.

greenstuff mold

This is the first time I've ever attempted this and I didn't have very high hopes for a couple of the bits. However they came out quite well, especially the tiny fists for Calgar's tabard.

castor 01

These bits are to go on Grand Praetor Castor of Thíva, Chapter Master of the Shields of Dorn. These guys are another IA that I came up with at the same time as the Ardent Swords and I'll be working on them alongside them. #fistingcalgar

castor 02

castor 03

castor 04

castor 05

Thanks Bjorn. It was a learning curve and a half to get to the final ones. Just waiting for 2 of Scibor's ancient greek shields to arrive to go on each power fist. Ordered the 21mm ones though so they may actually be too big... we'll see!

Edited by Knightsword

• 3 weeks later...

Right, photo dump time! This is my progress on the Shields of Dorn Chapter Master in between learning how to be a parent.

castor 06

castor 07

The shields finally arrived and I could get them attached. Despite being quite large they work really well. The flexible ammo belts from Zinge Industries are a god send for this model. Cannot praise them enough.

castor 08

castor 09

castor 10

castor 11

castor 12

Made some additions to the base, namely the Resurrection Orb, bullet holes in the Necron Lord and then the shell casings on the ground. The idea behind this is for the Chapter Master to be posed so that he is about the crush the Orb underfoot before the filthy Xenos can use it.

castor 13

castor 14

He is looking imposing! I really like the necron on the base too, I always find it difficult to put models on their backs like that in a way that looks good. Trying gives me flashbacks to trying to have a dreadnaught pulling a man apart. But it looks very natural and cool, I really like the narrative you are building into it together with the sense of motion and purpose. 

He is looking imposing! I really like the necron on the base too, I always find it difficult to put models on their backs like that in a way that looks good. Trying gives me flashbacks to trying to have a dreadnaught pulling a man apart. But it looks very natural and cool, I really like the narrative you are building into it together with the sense of motion and purpose. 

Thanks Torbenos. The Necron on the base was a bit of a cop out / stroke of luck as the sprue for it has the front half of the chest as a seperate piece making it perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit the shields are a case of the rule of cool more than anything. In my head they would be like half a storm shield each so when used in concert they'd provide the same level of protection.

Made a lot of progress the last few days with painting him and should hopefully have him finished at the weekend. Mainly just highlighting and deciding on patterns to go on the cloak.

castor 15

castor 16

castor 17

castor 18

castor 19

castor 20

Edited by Knightsword

• 2 weeks later...