I have had the luxury of some more hobby time over the weekend. I've finished building the Vanguard Veterans and the Primaris Aggressors, and moved onto some new builds:

Captain Smashy (Combi Melta and Thunder Hammer)

Carcharodon Captain

And a Contemptor Dreadnought. I was a bit disappointed with the kit to be honest (monopose, and no means to swap the weapon arms). I solved the latter with a simple pin:

Contemptor Pin

Contemptor Kheres Arm

Contemptor Melta Arm

I've got a game scheduled for next Friday at the Club; first outing for the Sharks (albeit with some proxies); I'm still procrastinating over the final list choices!

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's game got blown out. Boo!

However I've just discovered my planned army list was illegal. So I dodged a bullet and mocking from fellow club members. Phew!

Turns out Successor Chapters get access to their Founder's Chapter Tactics and Stratagems, but don't get access to the Founder's Warlord Traits or Relics.

My Overwatch dodging Relic Jump Pack wearing Captain needs a re-think!

Isn't that easily overcome by simple calling your Carcharodons differently painted Raven Guard? As long as you use consistent rules for Raven Guard rules then it doesn't matter how the models are painted. I know you have a fluff thing going but seriously is someone going to be that big an a-hole about grey painted "Raven Guard" ?

GW actually said exactly as much in their latest FAQ update.

That being said... :cuss that noise.  Really, soooo many Marine players have made successor armies or home grown Chapters, it's ridiculous to punish them for using the creativity that GW promoted themselves.  A reasonable opponent won't hold you to that absurd ruling.

Tyberos with SFTS though....

And a Captain rocking a power maul and Teeth of Terra right next to him.

Wow just a mean and wicked idea.....ouch. You deserve a cookie. Cause seriously that fits the Carcharidans so well.

I didn't think you could SFTS a model in TDA, like Tyberos. That Captain loadout though, is money.

I wanted to do a Stormraven, unit of Lightning Claws Assault Terminators (or Tartaros), an Ironclad, and Tyberos. Fly them over to an enemy soft spot, and let them rip and tear all day. Those S5 lightning Claws, rerolling to hit and to wound

I'm hosting a monthly 40K gathering at my house on Sunday (4 of us, two tables running! yay!) and our TO will be coming along so I'll see what he has to say.

I'll work up an alternative Trait and Relic for Captain Smashy anyway!  "Imperium's Sword" is a pretty good match for the Jump Pack relic (with an extra attack thrown in), and "The Armour Indomitus" is a fairly solid relic.

Interesting thoughts on running Tyberos; I had discounted him as too expensive for a 1250 list, but given I'm running ~250 points in HQs and over 500 in two alpha strike units, may be re-evaluating the Chapter Master isn't a bad idea. Claw's Captain load out (Maul/Teeth of Terra) would be good on a cheapy Lt so I could still unlock the Battalion! Lots to consider. 

Isn't that easily overcome by simple calling your Carcharodons differently painted Raven Guard? As long as you use consistent rules for Raven Guard rules then it doesn't matter how the models are painted. I know you have a fluff thing going but seriously is someone going to be that big an a-hole about grey painted "Raven Guard" ?

He would lose access to Tyberos though. But yes, if you don't use any named successor characters, there is ZERO benefit to not just saying you are <Raven Guard> or any other founding legion, and just say they are painted as successor but won't be using successor rules.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

I didn't think you could SFTS a model in TDA, like Tyberos. That Captain loadout though, is money.

I wanted to do a Stormraven, unit of Lightning Claws Assault Terminators (or Tartaros), an Ironclad, and Tyberos. Fly them over to an enemy soft spot, and let them rip and tear all day. Those S5 lightning Claws, rerolling to hit and to wound

Hmm.

Tyberos, Captain with my murder loadout, 3 squads of 5 Company Vets with storm bolters and chainswords.

All dropped 9" away with SFTS.

Brutal. I kinda want to do it now.

Too bad I'd need 3 squads of MkV Marines to do it. Because Carcharodons look badass in MkV armor.

Edited by Claws and Effect

First game with the Sharks under my belt today. I got to play against a new Dark Angels army (they are really good!) in a mission play test for our club tournament (a combined Maelstrom and Eternal War game). I narrowly lost on Maelstrom points, but otherwise the army did pretty well (and I learnt a lot about the army along the way).

As suspected 10 claw armed Van Vets is overkill. And also as suspected, Strike from the Shadows is really good:

Here's the build up to the strike:

Strike from the Shadows: Before

And here's the result:

Strike from the Shadows: After

Loads of fun! Back to the spreadsheet to tweak the list now.

Not gonna lie, i saw this post on FB about loyalist Night Lords and someone mentioned Carcharodons and I remembered how i very nearly turned my RG into Carcharodons. Seeing your stuff now...man, the temptation is strong!

I'm having a lot of fun modelling stuff, list hammering and so on. There's enough published fluff about the Carcharodons to use as background/reference (there's a Scout uniform description in The Red Tithe for example), and with the tribal markings they just look bloody cool!

The club is running a league as a run up to the tournament; I've seen some of the lists people are thinking of taking - I'm going to have my work cut out!

I've seen some of the lists people are thinking of taking - I'm going to have my work cut out!

Accept any challenge, no matter the...whoops, wrong subforum.  :ermm:

Do you lot have oaths?  A catch phrase?  Colloquialism?  Recurring dinner conversation?  I wager a secret handshake at the very least.

Edited by Firepower

Do you lot have oaths? A catch phrase? Colloquialism? Recurring dinner conversation? I wager a secret handshake at the very least.

The Carcharodon battle cry is basically awkward silence.
Their Terminators can mount speakers on their armor, and play the 'Jaws' soundtrack to unnerve their enemies, as an alternative to a battle cry.

I've seen some of the lists people are thinking of taking - I'm going to have my work cut out!

Accept any challenge, no matter the...whoops, wrong subforum.  :ermm:

Do you lot have oaths?  A catch phrase?  Colloquialism?  Recurring dinner conversation?  I wager a secret handshake at the very least.

Basically it's just the roar of jump packs and the screams of our enemies.

Do you lot have oaths? A catch phrase? Colloquialism? Recurring dinner conversation? I wager a secret handshake at the very least.

The Carcharodon battle cry is basically OMINOUS silence.

Fixed that for you.

"The Charcharadons deployed upon the battlefield in awkward silence.  Someone had farted in the Drop Pod...but who?"

"The Charcharadons deployed upon the battlefield in awkward silence. Someone had farted in the Drop Pod...but who?"
When the whoopee cushion is found, it will be used to beat the individual who planted it to death.

Impossible? Enraged Carcharodons make the impossible, possible.