Do you lot have oaths? A catch phrase? Colloquialism? Recurring dinner conversation? I wager a secret handshake at the very least.

The Carcharodon battle cry is basically awkward silence.
"The Charcharadons deployed upon the battlefield in awkward silence. Someone had farted in the Drop Pod...but who?"
When the whoopee cushion is found, it will be used to beat the individual who planted it to death.

Impossible? Enraged Carcharodons make the impossible, possible.

Thanks for the tactical advice guys :teehee:

I guess I should get a loop of the Jaws attack music on my phone and play it just prior to launching those juicy T1 attacks!

An actual progress post!

My club is about to start a league in the run up to our tournament; we basically get a "pool" of units to build our league lists from, so I've been busily assembling and priming more sharks.  There's a few units I'm unsure about so I'll proxy them for the moment and build new ones if I need them (razorbacks).

First up a Chaplain, kitbashed out of the Vanguard box:

Carcharodons Chaplain

Next, Lascannon Devestators:

Carcharodons  Dev Sgt

Carcharodons Lascannon Devs

And finally some more Vanguard Veterans:

Carcharodons Vanguard Vet Sergeant

Carcharodons Vanguard Veterans

I've also started painting some Scouts interpreting some of the descriptions from The Red Tithe, and adding some details from IA10 (brass aquilas, black weapon casings, lighter coloured face plates, etc). Bear in mind these boys are all very WIP.

Carcharodons Scout Sergeant (WIP)

Carcharodons Scouts (WIP)

And my Tactical Insight for the day: 2 man Company Vet squads; a liability in kill points, but handy for putting a cheap unit on the ground so as to be able to tactically reserve another (so proud of that I've already posted it elsewhere in the group today :whistling: )

No skull helm for the Chaplain? Or will framing the helmet with a shark's jaws be sufficient? (I'm taking inspiration from the wolf skull a Space Wolves Wolf Priest wears. As sharks have cartilage skeletons, the jaws and teeth are often the only part of the skeleton that is preserved.)

The Scout's full-face helmet is a good idea. I can imagine the Carcharodons sending Scouts to explore Space Hulks or boarding enemy warships- environments where they may be exposed to the vacuum of space- so equipping them with full void suits is justified.

I'm inclined to agree that the Chaplain doesn't have anything that actually makes the model say "Chaplain" to me.  Though just painting a skull on to his face can get the job done, really. 

I was just thinking of some bitz to suggest adding, and it occurred to me that I can't really think of any kits that lend heavily, or much at all, to the Carcharadon aesthetic.  If anything, a lot of the more 'flowery' bitz these days covered in aquilas (like those from the Vanguard kit) seem out of place on the more brutal, simple depictions of Totally-Not-Space-Shark marines.   Then again, I'm only distantly familiar with the Chapter so I wouldn't look at that as an expert opinion either, but most of the more stunning Carcharadon models I've seen accomplished their appeal through masterful execution of the painting rather than complexity of the models.  Maybe it's because so many use those simpler, bare bones FW models?  That Pacific island tattoo motif they got going looks absolutely gorgeous...when done by someone with significantly better free hand skills than myself :teehee:

Anyway, back on topic, there are always simple little reliquaries you can find in Grey Knight kits and the like that you can sprinkle on to a DIY Chaplain with strong effect.  Last time I built one he had a piece on every extremity (because I'm the subtle sort, after all).  But I don't know how closely Carcharadons lend themselves to that Gothic look, or if they have their own fetishes like scalps or beads or something.  Teeth maybe?  There are plenty of those in Wolf kits...

Edited by Firepower

No skull helm for the Chaplain? Or will framing the helmet with a shark's jaws be sufficient? (I'm taking inspiration from the wolf skull a Space Wolves Wolf Priest wears. As sharks have cartilage skeletons, the jaws and teeth are often the only part of the skeleton that is preserved.)

It's a fair comment from both you and FP about the Chaplain. I couldn't find a skull helm in the Bitz Box and the one I selected has a skull motif at least.

I'm hoping a decent paint paint job will set it off (whether I can do a decent paint job is to be seen).  

I'm inclined to agree that the Chaplain doesn't have anything that actually makes the model say "Chaplain" to me.  Though just painting a skull on to his face can get the job done, really. 

Anyway, back on topic, there are always simple little reliquaries you can find in Grey Knight kits and the like that you can sprinkle on to a DIY Chaplain with strong effect.  Last time I built one he had a piece on every extremity (because I'm the subtle sort, after all).  But I don't know how closely Carcharadons lend themselves to that Gothic look, or if they have their own fetishes like scalps or beads or something.  Teeth maybe?  There are plenty of those in Wolf kits...

Pretty sure there were descriptions of the Sharks having fetishes and stuff in "The Red Tithe". And one of my regular opponents is a Space Pup player; I'll go blag some bits off him!

Edited by varchilde

A while back I was fiddling with a BA successor and found a number of Wolf shoulders that have a fang or two hanging off the rim.  There are some arms, pistols and swords with similar fetishes as well, if memory serves.  Happy hunting :smile.:

As for the Chaplain, you could always try to find a Reiver head.  The ones without a full helm look particularly savage, and could make a fitting replacement.

Edited by Firepower

Update time!

Scout Squad Alpha complete.

Carcharodons Astra Scouts

Carcharodons Astra Scouts Sergeant

They are looking pretty cool on the bases.

Carcharodons Astra Scouts

Carcharodons Astra Scouts Sergeant

And I've even had a go at a tribal marking; the trick will be to keep these simple. Not too bad for a first attempt!

Chainsword Detail

Gaming wise our club's new 40K league kicked off on Friday. My game started late (serious traffic delays), and the game had to be called early when the club finished (bottom of T3); this was a 1VP loss to the Sharks, but if the game had gone the duration I'm pretty confident I would have won as my opponent was seriously lacking in units at this point!

Regarding the sniper scouts bodies with bolter arms - was that an easy swap? Did you just do a wholesale arm swap?

The bolter scouts are bloody awful models, and I'm too lazy to make camo cloaks to give them when the sniper dudes already have them.

I was planning on cutting away most of the sniper rifle, except the trigger and foregrip, and inserting an appropriately cut-down spare bolter. That way I have bolter scouts with camo cloaks who are also wielding bolters with stocks - which is probably important without the assistance of full power armour. The bolters will then get the standard set up sight and magazine upgrades I'm doing with all my other bolters (or will be doing, when I get my arse in gear).

Regarding the sniper scouts bodies with bolter arms - was that an easy swap? Did you just do a wholesale arm swap?

The bolter scouts are bloody awful models, and I'm too lazy to make camo cloaks to give them when the sniper dudes already have them.

I was planning on cutting away most of the sniper rifle, except the trigger and foregrip, and inserting an appropriately cut-down spare bolter. That way I have bolter scouts with camo cloaks who are also wielding bolters with stocks - which is probably important without the assistance of full power armour. The bolters will then get the standard set up sight and magazine upgrades I'm doing with all my other bolters (or will be doing, when I get my arse in gear).

My recollection is that this was simply a case of sticking the bolter onto the sniper scout. Sneaky confession; the arms don't line up with the hands gripping the front of the bolter :whistling: . In at least one case the left arm is glued directly onto the inside facing bolter casing :wink:

It's like a wierd optical illusion; no one has ever twigged it! I'll take a couple of closer pics from the side at the weekend and see if I can show it more clearly.

That is sneaky! Not sure how you've gotten away with that for so long.

Also, since you're being so obliging, could I have the recipe for your grey fatigues? They're just the sort of colour I'm looking for for my own scouts.

Blimey, now you are asking! I painted these ages ago, but it's something like:

Base coat with dark grey (Adeptus Battle Grey or Mechanicus Standard Grey)

Layer with a mid grey (something like Dawnstone; I think Adminstratum Grey is too light), avoiding the folds of the cloth

Highlights with a light grey (Ulthuan)

There might be a dilute Badab Black wash in there as well!

Nothing complicated certainly.

• 2 weeks later...

Back after a brief interlude! I've got some games in with the Sharks (still to actually win, but I'm learning loads), and I'm slapping paint on the models.

Also working on Captain Smashy Mark 2; the combi melta is distinctly underwhelming so I'm replacing it with the Shield Eternal; much more useful.

Back after a brief interlude! I've got some games in with the Sharks (still to actually win, but I'm learning loads), and I'm slapping paint on the models.

Also working on Captain Smashy Mark 2; the combi melta is distinctly underwhelming so I'm replacing it with the Shield Eternal; much more useful.

I suspect the combi-melta is underwhelming because you don't have access to the relic jump pack that lets you charge after advancing. That's the only reason I took it: I needed an Assault weapon so he could still shoot something, and given his mobility he can reliably get within melta range. If I could use 2 relics he'd get a combi flamer and Teeth of Terra.

And since I'm already using the Ravens Fury, I can't give him the Shield Eternal.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Hi everyone, here's a quick update at the end of a painting session. First unit of Power Armoured Sharkies finished:

Heavy Bolter Devestators:

Heavy Bolter Devestators

The Sarge:

Devestator Sergeant

And the Heavy Weapon Troopers:

Heavy Bolter Devestators (1)

Heavy Bolter Devestators (2)

Fairly simple paint scheme so the next unit should be a lot quicker now I've got one banked!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on our Fb group :smile.:

Ha! Thought some paths would cross on the various social media platforms.

I do enjoy writing my blog and sharing that on FB; but I write separate posts here. The level of interaction is much higher on forums.

I was the one what answered with the official scheme video :) Just joined recently and seens like those topics are much more popular that lists, gotta have a decent army composition too!

I saw this on our Fb group :smile.:

Ha! Thought some paths would cross on the various social media platforms.

I do enjoy writing my blog and sharing that on FB; but I write separate posts here. The level of interaction is much higher on forums.

I was the one what answered with the official scheme video :smile.: Just joined recently and seens like those topics are much more popular that lists, gotta have a decent army composition too!

The Raven Guard sub forum here is brilliant all round for list building, tactical and hobby advice. I'll admit I'm really struggling with my Shark list at the moment; I've had a couple of close games (lost by literally 1 VP), and I've had a couple where I've been whacked right around the table. Last night I was tabled by a Dark Reaper Spam list. Brutal, brutal game.

But I shall persevere! I'm learning tricks and have ideas on where to improve the list. The hardest thing I'm struggling with at the moment is counter deployment for the SftS units if I'm going second (I seriously suck at it)!